View Full Version : What was the first jump you ever landed?

FSWer
07-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Say what was the first jump everyone here ever landed?

Mrs Redboots
07-26-2008, 01:25 PM
I think you'll find that most people will answer a waltz jump or, if they are British, a 3-jump, as it's the first and easiest one that people learn.

At that, it's the only one I've ever actually taken off and landed in a competition, rather than stepped!

jskater49
07-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Well for me it wasn't so much landing it as actually getting up the nerve to JUMP and for me it was the half flip - less scary jumping going backward.

I was in a Learn to Skate class with little kids and the teacher was 17 and I was walking through the half flip, I would just rotate on my toe (which was scary enough!) and the teacher started begging me. "Hop. Just HOP!!!" and I thought, "a 17 year old girl is begging me to hop. How pathetic is that" Also the word "hop" seemed less intimidating...so I hopped!

Waltz jump came much later.

j

Gina10179202
07-28-2008, 06:43 AM
The first jump I ever landed was a cherry flip (Toe loop for non-English people;)). I saw it on ice princess, and taught myself it. Then I thought it would be clever to try a double toe loop, in rentals, on a public session, after having skated a total of one time in my life. I did, and I got round 1.5 times then stopped. I'm pretty surprised I didn't kill myself.

TiggerTooSkates
07-28-2008, 07:43 AM
:oops::oops::oops:Me, I'm just happy with a bunny hop right now, but I guess that's not a "real" jump. Sure felt like one to me - just having the nerve to leave the ice was a lot harder to manage than I thought it would be.:oops::oops::oops: Working on doing them at some sort of speed. Believe it or not, this is a big deal for me.

Getting there - in small bits at a time, but I'm getting there.

Muskoka Skater
07-28-2008, 10:08 AM
waltz jump and hasn't somebody already made this form before because i've already answered this.

jskater49
07-28-2008, 10:58 AM
:oops::oops::oops:Me, I'm just happy with a bunny hop right now, but I guess that's not a "real" jump. Sure felt like one to me - just having the nerve to leave the ice was a lot harder to manage than I thought it would be.:oops::oops::oops: Working on doing them at some sort of speed. Believe it or not, this is a big deal for me.

Getting there - in small bits at a time, but I'm getting there.

Oh my goodness, I still don't have the bunny hop. I get confused with the scissor action!

j

Query
07-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I learned Bunny Hop first in ISI LTS classes.

Kids learn two footed jumps first in USFSA Basic 8 classes - which are probably easier than bunny hops.

A lot of hockey kids seem to be taught the two footed jump first.

FSWer, you like questions and polls. Are you applying them to a sports psychology class or something?

Either way, I think it would be easier for people to learn without skates.

Most people have done both jumps off-ice. The two footed jump is exactly what kids first call a jump.

jskater49, The Bunny Hop is just a land dance Leap, like when you get a running start, jump into the air off one foot as you continue to swing the other foot through, and land on the other, then transfer your weight to the original foot you jumped off of - in other words running is nothing more than a sequence of alternate foot bunny hops, except that you push into the air before you do the final weight transfer. It would be a lot easier if before class, the instructor had students do these things, which they already know how to, and then had them do the same thing on the ice. I think the way I was taught the bunny hop, from one standing position to another, was confusing. I admit running on the ice is hard to balance for beginners, at least if your blades have toe picks - but if you isolate the Leap or Bunny Hop on the land first after pointing out what you do when you Run - it should be easy.

The Bunny Hop is misnamed - in ordinary and dance parlance, a Hop is when you land on the same foot you took off from, which is not true of the Bunny Hop, which is an ordinary and dance parlance Leap.

A backwards on-ice Bunny Hop is fun too. I've never seen anyone else do it, so I can challenge better skaters than me to do something I've figured out. :P

Helen88
07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
A two footed jump. But I'm absolutely terrified of them, landing forward is SCARY!! A couple of times (when I first learnt them) I landed on my toe picks and dived at the ice.

Then it was a bunny hop...then 3-jump.