View Full Version : Have you ever showed any moves to a Learn to Skate Skater or Basic Skills Program?

FSWer
07-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Say,are there any skaters here who because of passing their test have actually either showed some moves to a Learn to Skate Skater 1 on1? Or to a Basic Skills Program? Is anyone here that good? Just a question.

phoenix
07-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, a lot of us here are Learn to Skate teachers, so yes, we have shown lots and lots of moves to beginning skaters! And a lot of us also have private students who we teach one on one.

TiggerTooSkates
07-21-2008, 09:43 AM
I showed some kids at the rink how my coach is teaching me to spin - because they asked me. I told them I was still learning, but I would be happy to show them what I am being taught.

Of course, they now outspin me. <sigh>

The good thing is I could actually see mistakes they were making and equate them with what I'm told I'm doing wrong (as in, THAT'S what 'dropping your foot' looks like, or THAT'S what happens if you're looking down). I'm still developing (redeveloping, actually) my proprioception skills, and of course for skating it's very different from what I remember from gymnastics. So my two-foot spin has actually improved by showing stuff to them.

Actually, my other few skills have also improved - I know what stuff looks like now. Seems silly, but it really worked for me.