View Full Version : Lace bite - maybe?

Mainemom
07-19-2008, 05:56 PM
My poor DD came home from skating camp with what she was told was lace bite on the front of her left foot. There is no swelling, no redness, no nothing except pain. We have her big competition coming up next weekend and she wants to skate anyway, but I'm not sure what to do about this. Are there some external signs that would indicate what the problem is? We can't get in to the doctor until the week after the comp. Ibuprofen and friends don't seem to do much and icing it (recommended by her coach) doesn't either. Personally I think it was a week of basketball camp followed by a week of skating camp (baaaad timing, I know) as I don't know how she could be in this much pain out of the blue. The tongue of the skate isn't broken down and bunga pads didn't help. Any thoughts or recommendations? Prayers are always welcome, too!

techskater
07-20-2008, 09:31 AM
A cosmetic sponge with a hole in it around the painful area to relieve the pressure/tension when lacing skates works if it's lacebite.

smelltheice
07-20-2008, 09:51 AM
You can get gel pad squares of various sizes from chiropodists or chiropractic shops that you can place inside the sock before you boot up or lift the tongue after you put your boot on and place them there. The other option is to skip a lace hole at the point of pain. This usually works but may reduce the support across that area

Sessy
07-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Try white cabbage leaves, chopped or whole. Briefly put them in hot water, then apply to the sore spots for 15 minutes with a towel around them. Usually helps with things like bruises and joint pain, so maybe it'll help with this as well.

You could also try a cream or other smear-on (no ingesting!) substance containing Symphytum officinale.

Mrs Redboots
07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I had it once, and then got new laces, which is what did the trick. Meanwhile, arnica, both topically and as homeopathic tablets, will help.