View Full Version : Freeskating vs. Test Track

momof3chicks
07-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I am a bit confused about these tracks. My 7 year old has passed the PPMIF and PMIF and is starting to work on the pre-juv moves.

She has not tested freeskating at all. I look at the test requirements, and I know she could do them, and probably well.

However, she recently competed in her first 'open' competition, in the Beginner No Test Freeskate category and it seemed quite competitive. She did well (4th place) for a first time out of Basic Skills. Her coach held back a tad on some of the more difficult elements that she could do albeit not always cleanly, in favor of a nice clean and confident skate which she thinks is the primary reason she didn't place higher. My dd was fine with her placing and all.

I am just a bit befuddled though by the tracks and when the kids do the freesking tests- for example where she skated was clearly more competitive than Beginner Test Track.

Isk8NYC
07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Ask the coach. S/he must have some reason. Just being able to "do" the elements isn't the same as being consistently able to perform the elements, esp. in a high-pressure test situation. Perhaps the coach is hoping the no-test competitions will help solidify the elements so that under the pressure of a test session, your skater will have a clean pass with high marks from the judges.

Because MITF are requirements for the same-level Freestyle tests, most coaches have their students test "ahead" one level on MITF. The more challenging moves strengthen the freestyle maneuvers, and it prevents the skater from having to test freestyle on "contingency."

Contingency testing can be risky, unless the skater has completely mastered that level. In it, the skater signs up to test the same level of MITF and Freestyle during the test session. You pay for both tests and (usually) the fee is non-refundable. If s/he fails the MITF test, they're not allowed to take the freestyle test and that portion of the test fee is (usually) forfeited. Testing ahead one higher level of MITF prevents this situation from happening and reduces the pressure on the test skater.

Again, just ask your coach.

momof3chicks
07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
AH!! I didn't realize the MIF tests were required first. That makes sense. There are girls who have skated much longer and have much more experience (and are much older) than my dd who have not taken any of the FS tests either.

That explanation does help.

My dd is primarily a synchronized skater at this point, though she does compete in the summer in some smallish competitions.

techskater
07-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Test track competitions are just that - limited to the elements on the test whereas freeskate competitions are based upon the limits for a level (usually Axel in pre-pre, 2 doubles in Pre, 4 doubles in Prejuv, etc). Non-test track is usually about the hardest elements you can do cleanly that meet the limits of the level and it's not uncommon to see double Lutzes at Prejuv FS competitions.

Coaches put skaters in test track competitions when they are either getting ready to test to the next level and want to get the test program out in front of judges or skaters who are "test level" skaters who want competition opportunities but are trying to test out of the structure and aren't competitive in FS (such as a skater without triples in Intermediate/Novice). The latter is usually found at the Intermediate + levels due to the fact that a skater just isn't going to "make it competitively".

Test track was created to try and keep some skaters who aren't competitive in skating as they were identified as high risks for quitting.

phoenix
07-16-2008, 09:52 PM
I think the OP is looking at the requirements for testing a certain level (she's calling that 'test track'), and why her daughter hasn't been allowed to test yet in FreeSkating, therefore competing at a lower level. Right?

If so, then you answered your own question: your daughter was competitive, not out-classed, but also not out-classing her competitors either. The fact is, that when looking at a given level, the level of difficulty in being done competition will far, far exceed what is required at that test level.

For example, for preliminary FS test, you need Waltz jump, salchow, loop and flip jumps. However, in competition, typically you don't stand a chance of placing well unless you have a solid axel. At the regional level you'll need the axel in combination, and a couple of doubles! For the test, you need backspin, scratch spin, and sit spin. For competition, you need some very nice combination spins with at least a good camel & back camel, and you'd certainly see some decent catch foot positions and laybacks.

So everyone holds their students back from testing until they can do what they'll need to be competitive (if they're planning to compete). Otherwise, they'll get killed in competition every time.

To give you one more example of the disparity between the test requirements and what goes on in actual competition, all you need to pass your senior FS test is a double lutz. How far would that get you in actual senior level competition? Not very!

Isk8NYC
07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Also, there's no rule that says you MUST take the Freestyle tests. There are some skaters who only test MITF and are allowed to do so all the way up to Senior, without ever having taken a freestyle test.

These aren't competitors though. A competitor who had passed her Senior MITF test and was competing in a No Test Freestyle level would raise the ire of other parents, coaches, and even the judges, assuming s/he dominated that freestyle event.

momof3chicks
07-17-2008, 08:54 AM
very helpful information. I know that one of the reasons she did beginner FS no test this time was because she could do a very nice combination spin (camel, sit, pancake) and she is very good at it, and the test track requirements didn't really allow that.

It sounds like she is competing at the right level, and I have no issues there- I just wanted a better understanding of the two tracks and why USFS has them. Thanks.

Mainemom
07-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I love the new test track format! It's perfect for my DD and her friends as their coach really focuses on testing and it puts them exactly where they should be for their skill level. It never made sense to me to call it Preliminary for a competition when that label had absolutely nothing to do with the skills for either MIF or FS. Now she can do her pre-juv FS program in competition before the test session in August and not have to learn two completely different programs (one for testing and one for comps). I think it helps with sandbagging, too.