View Full Version : Fresh Start/Same Ol' Off-Ice July 14 - 20, 2008

singerskates
07-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Since I've just started Summer Skating School, let's use Fresh Start for the good stuff and Same Ol' for the bad.

Fresh Start:
Rode my bike 4 Miles to skating from home and then after skating rode home.

ibreakhearts66
07-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Fresh start
Did a decent amount of stretching today. I'm definitely getting more flexible!

Also did good rotations off-ice

doubletoe
07-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Fresh start
Did a decent amount of stretching today. I'm definitely getting more flexible!

Also did good rotations off-ice

Cool! I'm all over the flexibility stuff! What stretches are you doing and what are your goals?

ibreakhearts66
07-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Cool! I'm all over the flexibility stuff! What stretches are you doing and what are your goals?

Well, at official off-ice with my coach, we start sitting with our legs out and do each side and then as flat as we can go (which is pretty much just leaning slightly forward for me lol). Then we stretch our butts in that pretzel-y position. My favorite is last. We lie on our backs with out butts against the wall, then put our legs up on the wall and let gravity pull them into the deepest "V" we can.

At home I do calves, then hamstrings a few different ways--the "V" on the floor, touching my toes. Then I do thighs in the normal way, and hip flexors with one knee on the floor--im sure you know the stretch I mean.

Last I see how close I am to my splits and do different spiral positions.

Eventually, I want to get all of my splits, a nice Biellmann position and a nice heel stretch. It'll take a while, but I'm trying my best to be patient.

RinkRat321
07-16-2008, 09:16 AM
fresh start
-I LOVE MY NEW SKATES. I got jackson proflex & matrix blades and I adore them. my old boots were SO stiff but now I can finally bend! I was able to do axels in them today :D
-I had a pretty good lesson today. we coreographed my test program to music from hook which I really like
-my coach actually complimented me on: my flexibility, spread eagle, and ina bauer. shes really hard to get compliments from so yeah im happy

doubletoe
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, at official off-ice with my coach, we start sitting with our legs out and do each side and then as flat as we can go (which is pretty much just leaning slightly forward for me lol). Then we stretch our butts in that pretzel-y position. My favorite is last. We lie on our backs with out butts against the wall, then put our legs up on the wall and let gravity pull them into the deepest "V" we can.

At home I do calves, then hamstrings a few different ways--the "V" on the floor, touching my toes. Then I do thighs in the normal way, and hip flexors with one knee on the floor--im sure you know the stretch I mean.

Last I see how close I am to my splits and do different spiral positions.

Eventually, I want to get all of my splits, a nice Biellmann position and a nice heel stretch. It'll take a while, but I'm trying my best to be patient.

Those are great stretches! Keep it up and I'm sure you'll have full splits by the end of the year. :) I'm trying to take it to the next step now by doing my forward splits on the floor and making myself hold each split for a full 30 seconds once I'm all the way down. It's a bit of torture on my bad side, but not too uncomfortable on my good side. I'm also spending more and more time on that V hamstring stretch on the floor. My legs are getting wider apart and I can get my forehead to the floor after awhile. Surprisingly, this stretch also seems to relieve the tightness in my left hip/glute, so I'm going to keep at it! I figure it's also probably the stretch that will help me get a Y spin and a full split (hand-held) spiral with free leg in front or to the side!

doubletoe
07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
fresh start
-I LOVE MY NEW SKATES. I got jackson proflex & matrix blades and I adore them. my old boots were SO stiff but now I can finally bend! I was able to do axels in them today :D
-I had a pretty good lesson today. we coreographed my test program to music from hook which I really like
-my coach actually complimented me on: my flexibility, spread eagle, and ina bauer. shes really hard to get compliments from so yeah im happy

You might want to move this post to this week's skating practice report thread. This one is for off-ice only (I almost missed that, too, since "Off-Ice" is sort of buried in the title, LOL!)

RinkRat321
07-16-2008, 01:27 PM
You might want to move this post to this week's skating practice report thread. This one is for off-ice only (I almost missed that, too, since "Off-Ice" is sort of buried in the title, LOL!)

ohhh. sorry! :oops:

jazzpants
07-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Same Ol'...

Well, you'll love this... last Sunday I have a AN Viewing potluck party hosted at my figure skating personal trainer's home where we all sat and watch each others' video and pig out on all sorts of stuff: sushi, chicken in sorta a satay sauce (since it's not made with peanuts -- the person who made the chicken is allergic to peanuts...) apple pie, salads, lasagna, and BROWNIES (which the hostess made with her son... YUM YUM!!! :yum: )
Needless to say, this is the session to work ALL THAT FOOD OFF!!! :giveup: (Very strange irony, huh? :twisted: ) We -- well, mostly me -- worked on a lot of abs in this session! Lots of work particularly with the obliques!!! Gotta get that tummy DOWN!!! :twisted:

Fresh Start:
Well, I survived... :halo: and my abs wasn't sore at my lesson this morning either... :mrgreen: And according to her, I'm become more flexible doing certain stretches too!!!

jazzpants
07-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Same Ol:
Cardio: Didn't get to my 90% on the heart rate. It's a HUGE struggle to get to that high rate... :frus:
Didn't have as much energy today compared to yesterday. I guess I really do need the entertainment from my personal trainer. :P :lol:
I did this pulley arm leg squat thing where I alternate between pulling the weight with my arm while standing up (position 1) and bending forward like I'm in a half spiral but not quite... and oh, this is standing on one leg at a time too, so when I'm standing up, it's on the SAME leg as me doing the "half spiral"!!! And I have 15lbs on the pulley too. :twisted: It's bad in that I keep losing my balance after about 4 or 5 reps. :frus:Fresh Start:
Increased reps on this "round de jambe" squat exercise that was recommended to me.
Weights were fine.
More flexible alright!!! YAAAAY!!!!

ibreakhearts66
07-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Fresh Start
-Dragged myself to the gym even though I really didn't feel like going
-Did about 30 minutes on the elliptical working pretty darn hard.

Same Ol'
-The back weight room is closed, so I couldn't do good stretches or any weights
-Haven't done much stretching today at all. My muscles are very tight and sore from hard skating. I know that's a good time to stretch them, but I haven't gotten around it it :oops: Maybe tonight.

Bill_S
07-19-2008, 06:49 AM
This is for Thursday. It's a little late, but you know the saying.

Fresh Start:
Practiced two hours on my PICs at the roller rink but because it was above 90 degrees inside, I took it fairly easy. Worked on threes and brackets a bit more than usual, but did manage to kick up my heels a few times during the skate.

I had to pass on the brownies and cookies brought by another adult skater. I was just too hot to consider food. I was drenched in sweat by the end.

Same Ol'
There's only one more session at the roller rink before they close for the rest of the summer. :(

The ballroom dance class was canceled this week, but no one called to tell us! :evil:

Fresh Start #2
There were several other dancers who also did not received word of the cancellation. Together we decided to book a room at the community center for some 'unsupervised' practice on a few additional evenings.

Thank goodness that the additional dance practice isn't scheduled after a sweaty workout in the hot roller rink.

sk8lady
07-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Off-ice Thursday:

1 1/2 hour paddle from Thompson's Island on the coast out around the Twinnies and back--fabulous weather and saw a loon (the feathered kind!)
walked the dog

Off-ice Friday:
Walked the dog
went to kid's soccer camp for an "awards ceremony" which turned out to be "humiliate the parents by making them do all the drills the kids have done this week"--nice little 20- minute work-out
1/2 hour PT with stretch bands, 1 and 5 lb weights, and stretches on floor and in spiral and Y-spiral positions with hockey skates on for added weight (and because they happened to be in the closet next to me!)

Rink starts public skating on Monday--:D :D :D :D :D (multiple happy faces)

singerskates
07-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Fresh Start
-Dragged myself to the gym even though I really didn't feel like going
-Did about 30 minutes on the elliptical working pretty darn hard.

Same Ol'
-The back weight room is closed, so I couldn't do good stretches or any weights
-Haven't done much stretching today at all. My muscles are very tight and sore from hard skating. I know that's a good time to stretch them, but I haven't gotten around it it :oops: Maybe tonight.

Knotty, Knotty! LOL

You might want to invest in some Arnica gel (mine is the Boiron brand) because it loosens tight mucles and takes swelling down. One of my former coaches told me about it and it really works.

Bike riding seems to help with tight muscles too and it warms them to make stretching easier to do.

singerskates
07-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Same Ol':
The air quality for both Thursday and Friday was so bad that their was an Air Advisory issued. Since I have asthma that meant that I could ride my bike. Also, I plain didn't have time to ride my bike on Friday because I had to get back home quicker then when I ride my bike so I drove my car to the rink and back.

Not riding my bike didn't allow me the time to get my body warm to properly stretch on Friday, so I had very tight muscles and my Arnica was at home. Must buy a second tube to stay with my skates.

Fresh Start:
After getting home on Friday, I took a hot shower to clean up and to loosen my tight muscles. Then I had a ride in my husband's black Corvette to London and when shopping (lots of walking) at White Oaks Mall for 4 hours.
Also managed to find the store that had those chair body massagers and sat for a massage. Ah!!!!!!!!!. Felt great afterwards.

jenlyon60
07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I bench-pressed 95 pounds this morning in my workout.

New personal best.

I also did 75 pounds back-squat. Not sure if that's a new PB, but not far off. This time last year I couldn't even imagine doing back squats again, because I had so much knee pain.