View Full Version : Skate Sharpener Recommendation

amcnulty
07-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Can someone help me? I am trying to find a good skate sharpener in the Chicago area. I have asked around at the rink and it seems like EVERYONE uses the same sharpener, but I was not very happy with the last sharpening on my DS skates (there are nicks up and down the blade that were not there before the sharpening) so I would like to try someone else.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

techskater
07-15-2008, 06:05 PM
There are only two places I go:
Gepetto's in Downer's Grove (only have John Harmata do them - I only get to go there if I am in the Western/SW suburbs, which isn't often)
Rainbo in Northbrook (only have John or Jody do them, even if someone else says they can. I like the deep hollow Jody puts on my blades because he knows I like them like that).

Hope this helps.

amcnulty
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
I'll definitely try Gepetto's next time! We are in the far southwest suburbs so Northbrook is quite a trip. I am unsure whether or not I should go get them sharpened again right away or just wait until they would need their next sharpening:?: I just got them sharpened last week, but I don't want his progress to suffer.

flying~camel
07-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I think the Rainbo guys make a trip to the Oak Lawn Ice Arena (SW suburb) once a month.

sk8er1964
07-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I'll definitely try Gepetto's next time! We are in the far southwest suburbs so Northbrook is quite a trip. I am unsure whether or not I should go get them sharpened again right away or just wait until they would need their next sharpening:?: I just got them sharpened last week, but I don't want his progress to suffer.

If your DS is not happy with the current sharpening, then by all means get them done again. It's worth the money, IMO.

techskater
07-16-2008, 06:14 PM

I would get them done again, but be sure to call beforehand to make sure he's in and make an appointment - he tends to travel a lot because a lot of boot companies ask him to rep their booth at local competitions (including around the Midwest - OH, MI, MN, WI...) and he is in high demand.

amcnulty
07-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I went ahead and got them resharpened today and am really glad I did. One skate had no hollow at all and the other skate had uneven edges. DS is looking forward to not spending half of his class picking himself up off of the ice.

techskater
07-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Hope John H was able to help out!!