View Full Version : Dresses by Linda Cozzi?

herniated
07-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Anyone ever have a dress made by Linda Cozzi? I've seen her work.. on a hanger only and heard from one person that the dresses look and perform great. But.. has anyone else ever bought a dress from her?

sexyskates
07-13-2008, 08:10 PM
My first competition dress was from her. You can call me and ask about details. Irene had all her competition dresses made by her.

herniated
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info sexyskates. (over the phone) Nothing bad everyone just sexy's experiences from a long time ago.

I asked my coach what he thought. He said she was good but kind of expensive. He is partial to Del Arbour. I like her dresses too and have several but.. I am in between sizes so I would need to go there to get fitted. And my coach has a specific design idea in mind. I don't really have the time to go and it is quite expensive to take the ferry (to cross long island) about $130 round trip! I know Del's dresses would be at least $150 and up. So, my plan is to call Linda and get her price range. I figured even if it's $250 it's still works out better for me in the long run. Not that I want to spend that either but I keep my dresses for at least two years so..

Thin-Ice
07-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the info sexyskates. (over the phone) Nothing bad everyone just sexy's experiences from a long time ago.

I asked my coach what he thought. He said she was good but kind of expensive. He is partial to Del Arbour. I like her dresses too and have several but.. I am in between sizes so I would need to go there to get fitted. And my coach has a specific design idea in mind. I don't really have the time to go and it is quite expensive to take the ferry (to cross long island) about $130 round trip! I know Del's dresses would be at least $150 and up. So, my plan is to call Linda and get her price range. I figured even if it's $250 it's still works out better for me in the long run. Not that I want to spend that either but I keep my dresses for at least two years so..

$250... wow I pay $300 for most of my dresses and that's with a friend making them, so she gives me a discount. On the other hand, I make some of my costumes too, so I don't feel too bad and my costume costs support her skating too. And I recycle my dresses... the one I wore for my Interp. at AN this year was one I made 10 years ago... still fits, still looks fine and shopping in my closet is realllllly the right price.;)

herniated
07-17-2008, 12:50 PM
yeah... I don't know how much Linda's dresses cost yet but I will call. Del Arbour is really the way to go. If you live in the area or have the time to travel. For me it's an all day trip. Maybe I'm cheap but I just can't justify spending $300 for a bathing suit with a skirt on it. lol Some years though I wind up spending that much because I'm not happy with any dresses I buy online.

Thin-Ice
07-18-2008, 03:20 AM
I don't mind spending $300 because the dresses are designed just for me, no one will have one just like it, I have a LOT of say in what it looks like so it makes me feel really good (which usually helps my skating performance), I know how much time and energy it takes to make costumes and I know the costs of the fabric, trim and stonework. Also, they last and last... and if there's a problem (one year I had a zipper that would decide it was just not going to zip.. but only at competitions I was really concerned about, i.e. Adult Sectionals) all I have to do is hand the dress back to the costumer and say "Fix it. I need it by _______." When I make my own, I have to fix it myself.

Besides, I would never wear that much "dazzle" on a swimsuit.. and come to think of it, I don't think I OWN a swimsuit right now. But I know what you mean about cost.. I had a fit when I had to pay $400 for the dress I went to my wedding receptions in (different than wedding dress, because it was on the beach.. so was more casual and we had two -- one near each set of parents). But I get a LOT more than two wearings out of my costumes.. so my average costume cost per wearing works out to about $20-25 the first two years, since I usually keep a program two years. And $25 is less than I pay for a half-hour lesson....

herniated
07-18-2008, 07:53 AM
I hear what you're saying about formal wear being sooo expensive and only getting one or two wearings out of it. I too wear my competition dresses many times. It is worth it if you look at it that way. I bead my own dresses so that brings down the cost. And, I'm picky too. I like certain fabrics (that don't show sweat, lol), I like the skirt cut a certain way (so I don't look fat!) and a certain length, ect. Hopefully this will work out for me.

herniated
08-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I spoke to Linda Cozzi today. Her dresses are about $200. Not bad. Of course if I want her to bead it it would cost more. I will meet her this Sunday!!!

herniated
08-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Ok, I've noticed not a lot of responses to this thread.. that's OK because I also noticed a lot of people are viewing it anyway so I figured I'll keep updating my experiences.

I met with Linda today and it was a great experience!! She had asked me previously and went over it again today my likes and dislikes and asked me to bring in a dress that I like. She wanted to see it on me. She showed me her fabrics and we discussed style options. Linda also asked me to bring my music and she listened to it to get ideas. It was fun! The next step is she makes a pattern and will call me in a week to two and then I have to come in again for a fitting.

herniated
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Ok for all you lurkers... I have an appointment this Sunday for a fitting!! Yay! I've already changed the color of the dress because I showed the swatch she gave me to my coach and he HATED the color. My music is to Rhapsody in Blue btw and he said OK, so now you are skating to Rhapsody in Turquoise? As he was holding up the swatch as if it were a dirty tissue!! He's hysterical, really. He also felt I would look - fat - in it. PIA.

Linda had no prob with the color change. So, now my dress will be in Royal Blue. I had originally agreed to the Royal but when presented with all the beautiful blues I kind of got carried away with myself! ;)

RachelSk8er
08-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Ok for all you lurkers... I have an appointment this Sunday for a fitting!! Yay! I've already changed the color of the dress because I showed the swatch she gave me to my coach and he HATED the color. My music is to Rhapsody in Blue btw and he said OK, so now you are skating to Rhapsody in Turquoise? As he was holding up the swatch as if it were a dirty tissue!! He's hysterical, really. He also felt I would look - fat - in it. PIA.

Linda had no prob with the color change. So, now my dress will be in Royal Blue. I had originally agreed to the Royal but when presented with all the beautiful blues I kind of got carried away with myself! ;)

You mean you're not going to go with yellow and black cow print to go with your Rhapsody in Blue program? (Ha ha Ilia...)

Royal is a good color. It's stunning on the ice.

herniated
08-08-2008, 03:25 PM
LOL. :lol: No.. I'm not wearing a cow print. Chuckle, chuckle. I never got that design myself. Why in h..e.. double toothpicks did he ever agree to wear that. I remember watching that performance and all I could think about was that ridiculous shirt!!

And, thanks. Royal blue will be the best choice. Linda's going to make it with a very open back and 3/4 mesh sleeves ( in the same color). I'm very excited. Hopefully When it's done I'll have some pics taken and figure out how to post it. After all my carrying on about this dress I guess I'd better show you all.:)

Mrs Redboots
08-09-2008, 06:54 AM
My favourite of my current dresses is royal blue! I tend only to wear it for waltzes and blueses, if that's a word (my 'puter's spell-check doesn't like it).http://photos-492.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v117/135/89/546230492/n546230492_274715_621.jpg

RachelSk8er
08-09-2008, 10:04 AM
This is one of my favorite dresses of all time (Haydenettes senior long 2007):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/324502749_72db828b1f.jpg?v=0

The style is so simple and elegant, and the royal on the ice x16 skaters was stunning. I'd kill for one of those for dance/interp, although my synchro team's dresses from this past year were very similar in style (both made by Del) with a navy purplish mesh over turquoise so I was quite happy with that, too.

herniated
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Mrs. Redboots!! Thanks so much for the pic. It is a beautiful color and it looks great on you!!! And Rachelsk8er... wow those dresses ARE gorgeous. The color is great.

herniated
08-10-2008, 03:53 PM
OK. Had my first fitting today!! The Royal blue IS beautiful. It will be Royal blue Lycra with Royal blue mesh over lay. 3/4 Royal blue mesh sleeves and probably a mesh asymetrical skirt. She will also do the beading. Usually I do it myself but... she's going to give me a good price since it's my "first" dress from her. Sounds good to me.

I hope my skating does it justice.:D

Oh! It also will have a very open back. VERY open and an open, kind of V shaped neck and princess seams. But not being exposed if you know what I mean. 8O

Mrs Redboots
08-11-2008, 06:38 AM
You are going to post a picture of it when it arrives, aren't you????

herniated
08-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes... of course when I figure out how to do it. I know all of you will help me with that info when the time comes. :D

herniated
08-22-2008, 09:05 AM
I went for another fitting yesterday... on the way to visit my mom in the hospital. I was hopeing that I could put my pants back on after trying on the dress.:lol: My back has been so bad I was thinking of using salad tongs to pull them back up.

Anyway, the fitting went well. Just seems like a long process. Linda said she usually doesn't sew for adults. I think she just wants it to be perfect to impress other adults and my coach. My coach uses another dressmaker and Linda would like his business. I go back in another week to see the final dress.