View Full Version : Blisters on Insteps - why?

katz in boots
07-13-2008, 03:26 AM
This about my 11 year old DD. She gets really bad blisters on the instep, more toward the ankle than lower down the instep area. First time it happened I replaced her skates with bigger ones, then it started happening again. We used a paper tape to protect the area. Now she has new skates and it has happened again, to the point of the area bleeding after 20 mins on ice.

Her boots are Jackson Competitors - she only needed Freestyle but I was told they don't do modified fitting for width in anything lower than Competitor. So it's going to be a struggle for her to break them in anyway. Previous problem was with her Gams, so it isn't specific to Jacksons.

What could be causing this? I am trying her in different innersoles, thinking she might be pronating, putting pressure on that area. Any ideas, anyone????

Sessy
07-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I've kept a similar problem in my boots in 1 spot even after breaking them in, and I just put sports tape on it before I skate (the kind used for taping in physio and stuff). Good sports tape holds in the shower as long as you don't wrub it consciously with a towel or anything, so I only need to replace it twice a week or so. The sports tape solves the problem completely... Looks ugly and when you remove it, you like... remove old skin and hair too, but hey it works just fine. I kept it on all winter and I'm not seeing any damage to the skin from it after a month of having it off. But I suppose you could apply it new before each skating session and remove after.

I noticed the leather is a little different where this is happening, harsher than everywhere else. I wonder if that's a consequence of the wrubbing, or the cause of the extra wrubbing - that they used a wrong piece of leather or something.

Kay
07-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Blisters often occur when there is too much room to move and so when the foot moves around, the friction of skin rubbing on skate causes a blister. They also are encourages when skin is hot and moist/sweaty because the moisture essentially lubricates the friction point, allowing even move rubbing to occur. Here are some possible ideas....

1.) I would hazard a guess that your daughter may have higher arches than the skates, so maybe try an arch-support insole to take up the room to prevent rubbing?

2.) Taping is always a standby way to prevent blisters - the tape sticks to the skin so that its the tape (not the skin) that is rubbing against the skate. "Second skin" is generally a tried and true brand at most rinks. Choose a medical grade tape that will allow the skin to breathe, and has *some* give to it, to allow the foot to expand if it gets hot (you don't want to cut off circulation).

3.) What type of socks/tights is your daughter wearing?

Socks to avoid: tube socks, anything cotton, thick socks, heavy socks.

Opt for a 'Coolmax', bamboo, or moisture-wicking sock. Tailored running socks that will hug the arch are ideal. These will have a stretchy panel over the arch that will help prevent material from bunching, with can also contribute to blisters

4.) Treating blisters you already have is key. Moisturized skin lends itself to blisters, and the tender skin on the arch can often be soft, smooth skin. While I will warn you that it will sting, rubbing alcohol is what you need to use to treat the blisters that exist. Every night and every morning, have your daughter generously apply rubbing alcohol to the blister itself, and all along the arch. This will not only prevent infection in the open blister, but it will also dry and toughen the skin up (think tougher "callous" skin, but not quite that hard) to prevent further blisters. It generally stops stinging after about three days of application.

I had the *exact* same problem as your daughter when I was breaking in my last pair of boots, so hopefully this will help your daughter!

Isk8NYC
07-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree with Kay - sounds like the foot is rubbing on the insole. A higher arched insole would probably help.

Don't let the blisters get infected. My DH had to be on antibiotics for three weeks thanks to a particularly stupid idea of wearing worn-out flip flips to a water park and walking around for hours. He also didn't clean it (other than showers - standing in soapy water) or bandage it or do any of the things his wife (with Red Cross training) recommended. It was agonizing for him and he still has scars.

I've tried blister pads for my own kids, but they didn't think it really helped with healing. *shrugs*

AgnesNitt
07-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Have you tried any of the modern anti-blister pads? They're made of silicon and can be left on for several days. You can find them in the foot section of drug stores. I found them to be very effective. They're pricey though.

Query
07-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Don't tape your skin. Yuk!

Tape your boots.

Moleskin works well, and is supposed to be skin safe.

Isk8NYC
07-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Have you tried any of the modern anti-blister pads? They're made of silicon and can be left on for several days. You can find them in the foot section of drug stores. I found them to be very effective. They're pricey though.
Those are the ones; I bought them for my oldest and she didn't like them at all.

katz in boots
07-14-2008, 04:06 AM
Blisters often occur when there is too much room to move and so when the foot moves around, the friction of skin rubbing on skate causes a blister. They also are encourages when skin is hot and moist/sweaty because the moisture essentially lubricates the friction point, allowing even move rubbing to occur. Here are some possible ideas....

1.) I would hazard a guess that your daughter may have higher arches than the skates, so maybe try an arch-support insole to take up the room to prevent rubbing?[/COLOR]

My daughter has lower arches, probably. We tend to go barefoot a lot here, and she is a real free spirit, so rarely wears shoes unless forced, probably why her feet are wider:roll:

We wear microfibre ankle stockings, which in my experience give the smoothest surface for skates.

I've checked the inside of her skates, it isn't rough, and this is the 3rd pair she's experienced this.

I will use a paper tape called Hyperfix, which a physio recommended to me for something else, and worked for her before. But I just can't figure out why this keeps happening.

Query
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
We tend to go barefoot a lot here

Me too, as much as can. Bare feet are wonderful and healthy for most of us as long as we don't step on anything sharp and the temperature allows.

Some people claim wearing shoes too much causes most foot problems - athlete's foot, flat feet, high arches, pronation, supination - because feet aren't meant to be closed in or on raised heels, and because they are meant to get exercise, etc.

Skates definitely aren't healthy, but there is no acceptable solution for that.

I've checked the inside of her skates, it isn't rough, and this is the 3rd pair she's experienced this.

I will use a paper tape called Hyperfix, which a physio recommended to me for something else, and worked for her before. But I just can't figure out why this keeps happening.

Doesn't need to be rough to cause blisters! By using very smooth socks against a smooth boot, with space for slippage, you have made sure the problem will occur.

The why of blisters is perfectly clear, and was indicated by various people above. Blisters are skin burns that happen because there is space for slippage, which causes friction, which causes heat, like starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together.

If you want the space (some skaters do above the ankle bones, for comfort or to make it easier to move), you can prevent it by shifting the slippage from the skin to something else - your paper tape, or a bandage, or silicone pads...

Lenny2
07-16-2008, 09:12 AM
When my skater got blisters, we used moist burn pads to heal them. Its the best thing.

But as to the problem, I would think about changing boots. My skater used to have big calcium deposits on her insteps (big, hard bumps) on both of her feet. Lots of skaters get them, and they really aren't harmful and they weren't painful, but they also were not particularly attractive. At the time, she had worn Harlicks for many years, and she was perfectly happy with them. For several reasons, she went into Grafs a few years ago and after about a year, the bumps completely disappeared. Apparently, the Harlicks were rubbing in some way that the Grafs do not. So, I would just think about trying a different brand--whatever is available and comfortable to her.

katz in boots
07-17-2008, 04:01 AM
Hmm, well she has experienced this problem in both Gams and Jacksons. Usually occurs when the boots are getting too small for her, which doesn't indicate slippage to me - though this time it is straight away in new boots, so they shouldn't be too small.

Tried her with better innersoles last night, but of course her blister spots were still sore, so it might take a few goes to see if that helps.

It's a bit of a mystery, as I haven't experienced it or met anyone else who has the problem.

Isk8NYC
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
I see your location says "Oz." Does that mean Australia? If so, I guess you don't have a pro shop that you can take the skates to and request adjustments. Usually, if it's only one spot rubbing, a "punch out" will help. A shoe repair place might be able to help that.

I have heel spur syndrome with very high arches. Until I had my insoles adjusted, I slipped a lambswool pad (courtesy of Klingbeil) under the insole right at the arch. It worked great as a temporary fix since it cushioned the one spot that was really hurting.

What really helped with the heel spur pain was the orthotic insoles Klingbeil replicated. That, and a stretching exercise from Woman's Day. (Arch your foot with the ankle straight, then gently press the toes up from the ball of the foot. I started doing it at the end of each day and after every form of exercise and the relief from pain in the Plantar Tendon is incredible.)

Have you heat-molded the Competitors? If you mail-ordered the skates, then you would have to do that. It would really benefit your daughter, esp. since she's been over-booted, to have the skates molded to her feet.

Zac911
07-19-2008, 09:48 AM

1.) I would hazard a guess that your daughter may have higher arches than the skates, so maybe try an arch-support insole to take up the room to prevent rubbing?

2.) Taping is always a standby way to prevent blisters - the tape sticks to the skin so that its the tape (not the skin) that is rubbing against the skate. "Second skin" is generally a tried and true brand at most rinks. Choose a medical grade tape that will allow the skin to breathe, and has *some* give to it, to allow the foot to expand if it gets hot (you don't want to cut off circulation).

Opt for a 'Coolmax', bamboo, or moisture-wicking sock. Tailored running socks that will hug the arch are ideal. These will have a stretchy panel over the arch that will help prevent material from bunching, with can also contribute to blisters

4.) Treating blisters you already have is key. Moisturized skin lends itself to blisters, and the tender skin on the arch can often be soft, smooth skin. While I will warn you that it will sting, rubbing alcohol is what you need to use to treat the blisters that exist. Every night and every morning, have your daughter generously apply rubbing alcohol to the blister itself, and all along the arch. This will not only prevent infection in the open blister, but it will also dry and toughen the skin up (think tougher "callous" skin, but not quite that hard) to prevent further blisters. It generally stops stinging after about three days of application.

I had the *exact* same problem as your daughter when I was breaking in my last pair of boots, so hopefully this will help your daughter!

X2-- great explanation Kay. cannot stress these points enough! cheers!

Z

Morgail
08-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Katz - did your daughter try any of these suggestions? What helped?

I just developed this problem a couple weeks ago. It's only on my right instep, just down and to the front of the ankle bone. I have flat feet, so I suppose that may have something to do with it. I checked my boot, and the leather on the inside feels nubby, plus there is a seam that feels as though it's risen a little. My boots are just over 2 years old. There's probably extra space in that boot, though, since I've lost a lot of weight since I bought these boots.

This blister won't go away. Twice, I've worn a band-aid with a bunga gel pad in the instep, and it's healed, only to get opened again the next time I went sans band-aid & gel pad. The gel pad is really too thick to wear every time I skate. It makes my entire foot cramp up (because I have no actual arches), and I feel like my foot isn't sitting correctly in the boot.

Query
08-10-2008, 10:58 AM
There's probably extra space in that boot, though, since I've lost a lot of weight since I bought these boots.

Congratulations on loosing weight!

In spite of the resistance of some people to advice, blisters are no great mystery, and are pretty well understood. Check a suitable reference, like

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-blisters-basics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister

Aside from specialized medical conditions, the majority are nothing more or less than burns caused by heat - usually from friction, because there is movement inside the boot. (Moisture makes the skin more vulnerable to such damage.)

The OP said slippage wasn't possible because the boot was too small for the foot. That just probably means it is like fitting a square peg into a round hole - there are places where it is too tight, other placess too loose. Feet change shape if they grow, or if you gain or loose weight.

(BTW, high pressure points can produce callouses, corns, and foot deformities. So if there are any painfully high pressure points, it makes sense to punch them out first, since that causes more serious problems.)

Twice, I've worn a band-aid with a bunga gel pad in the instep, and it's healed, only to get opened again the next time I went sans band-aid & gel pad. The gel pad is really too thick to wear every time I skate. It makes my entire foot cramp up (because I have no actual arches), and I feel like my foot isn't sitting correctly in the boot.

Then forget the gel pad. The Band Aid will move the slippage from the skin to the top of the Band Aid, and should therefore prevent the blister.

A thin layer of moleskin would do instead of the Band Aid, if you want something slightly thicker and more durable, and it can be applied to the boot instead of the skin if you like.

I suppose another method would be to punch (or have punched) out the area of the boot you are applying the Bunga pad too, so it isn't too tight with the pad. A good bootfitter can do this, or do it yourself with something like a Ball and Ring pliers. but that is probably the wrong thing, since you are saying the fit is loose.

>because I have no actual arches

I guess you mean that the combination of body weight and pressure from the bunga pad collapses whatever arch you have so much it is painful. You can create an arch in the foot, by applying athletic tape under the insole (assuming the insole is flexible, and you aren't using a stiff orthotic) in the right place to remold the foot. That will also make the fit tighter, so you may need a thinner insole - or it may be precisely what is needed to solve the whole problem, including the loose fit.

But if you have a serious medical foot condition, you might want to consult with a podiatrist, preferably one that specializes in skates. My claim that many of them mess up skaters doesn't change the fact that they are trained to diagnose problems those of us without medical training don't even know exist.

katz in boots
08-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Katz - did your daughter try any of these suggestions? What helped?

I ended up giving her patches of a non-wove, hypo-allergenic adhesive tape that used to be called Hypofix. It is a thin, papery tape that comes in different widths. Because it is thin, it doesn't cause her problems with bulk, but protects the area.

Still no idea what causes it, but hypofix helped previous occurrences, and seems to do the job again this time.

Sorry to hear you have having a similar experience. If your boots are too big, tape probably won't help much, but it is a low bulk way to prevent blisters.