View Full Version : The Hurtin' Adult Skaters Thread

Terri C
07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
This morning on freestyle, I ended my session by hitting a bobby pin that made it's way off of someone's head onto the ice. I fell front on, brusing both elbows and knees. No injured ribs, Thank God.
Via IM and Facebook today, I've heard that there are a few of you that are hurting from one thing or another on the ice in the last day or so.
So, what's hurtin ya, how did it happen and what are you doing to ease the pain?
For me it was some retail therapy earlier in the day with additional help from Bud Light and just a little Ben and Jerry's.

sk8lady
07-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Starting from the top: left shoulder, either a reinjured rotator cuff or tendonitis, my insurance won't authorize an MRI so we don't know for sure, from falling and being fallen ON during our club's April show; referred to PT.

Left little finger, weird purple bruise from a fall at the rink IN THE BATHROOM. They have these weird slippery plastic mats in there and the cleaner comes in during figure skating and washes them and doesn't leave a note. Oops.

Right elbow, tennis elbow (I've played tennis ONCE in my life) from a combination of throwing the ball for the dog with one of those plastic things, playing hockey, and digging in the garden. Advice given by doctor was, "Don't lift anything heavy and try not to use your arm." HAHAHAHA

Right knee, cut and bruise from the above-mentioned fall.

Left knee, still recovering from a fall during practice at AN; major bruise and soreness.

Feet--the Riedell guy at the PSA conference looked at them and said, "You ARE a mess!" after I pointed out my two hammertoes, nucleated callus, giant bunions, regular calluses, and bruised toes!!!!

Good thing I exercise so I'll be healthy!!:D

Clarice
07-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Aside from the usual collection of bunions, bruises and calluses, all I've got going is some tendonitis in my left hip, due to relentless practice prior to my Gold MIF test (which I passed, so at least I have something to show for the pain!). It's pretty tolerable as long as I remember to take my Aleve. Things like this explain why my adult synchro team's spirit cheer is "Icy Hot!"

Kim to the Max
07-11-2008, 09:33 PM
My knee is currently quite still and achy...I fell very hard while doing the CW quick rocker/choctaw pattern (pattern #2) from Novice moves during my lesson...came down straight on my left knee...of course I kept going for the rest of my lesson...:roll: Woke up this morning and couldn't move it at all...got moving a bit and went to the morning session (only did moves), but it is still not moving...I'm thinking I will run to Target tomorrow to get some icy hot to see if that will help a bit...

TiggerTooSkates
07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Aside from the usual collection of bunions, bruises and calluses, all I've got going is some tendonitis in my left hip, due to relentless practice prior to my Gold MIF test (which I passed, so at least I have something to show for the pain!). It's pretty tolerable as long as I remember to take my Aleve. Things like this explain why my adult synchro team's spirit cheer is "Icy Hot!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:D:D:D:D8-)8-)8-)8-):mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

TreSk8sAZ
07-11-2008, 11:05 PM
My right knee is pretty much limiting me to skating lessons and nothing else. I hurt it last year on a fall that I don't remember (it apparently was pretty bad to watch), had surgery on the other knee because it was worse than this one. This one probably would have been okay but our base had Sports & Field Day. Our tug-of-war team was about to get disqualified because they didn't have a female when I walked up. I'm 5'9", have no upper body strength, and we were up against HUGE Air Force guys on a sand volleyball court. Needless to say, my lower body was digging in and pretty much ruined the rest of my knee. Having my surgery when I get back home, so it will be all better soon!

katz in boots
07-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Most of mine aren't skating injuries, but since you ask....
Starting at the top:

weird vertigo problem with inner ear, causing me to feel like I'm swaying on the sea even when lying down. Strange that I can skate at all with that.

stye on eye getting better, not so swollen & sore.

Tight sore shoulder/neck from occupational overuse syndrome, getting better, but have to take it easy keyboarding. Various cuts on various fingers.

Right knee - landing knee. Continues to severely restrict what I can do to forward spins, some footwork & dance. Most frustrating.

sk8lady
07-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Most of mine aren't skating injuries, but since you ask....
Starting at the top:

weird vertigo problem with inner ear, causing me to feel like I'm swaying on the sea even when lying down. Strange that I can skate at all with that.

Have you been to the dr. about this? I had benign positional vertigo a few years ago and it was the weirdest thing, and did screw up my skating. Supposedly for this type of vertigo small particles in your inner ear get dislodged and float around, sending out incorrect signals that your head is moving when it's still.

The even weirder thing was how I got rid of it...the doctor told me that there really is no way to treat or cure BPV--but that summer I was out rollerblading with my son and he suddenly let out a shriek--I turned very quickly and fell flat on my stomach. Knocked the wind out of me but when I got up the BPV was gone (the doctor told me later a very sudden movement like that can knock the particles back into place.) I started yelling, "It's a miracle!" which caused my husband to think I had whacked my head! ;)

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Sprained left thumb - happened at the Mountain Cup when we nearly had a fall during the warm-up for our free dance, and has been reinjured since. Am now wearing a support during skating! It is healing, slowly.

And my knees frequently hurt. Well, don't everybody's?

Who was it who said "Hurt? Of course I hurt! I'm a skater: it's what I do!"

blue111moon
07-12-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm not skating this summer in the hope of healing up some of the nagging aches and pains I've had for what feels like forever.

The achilles tendons are still sore; that's chonic, I'm afraid.

Surgery on the right ankle is scheduled for Aug. 8. I'm faithfully doing the muscle exercises to stabilize it as much as I can. I rolled the joint -again!- last Monday but a couple days of ice and elevation got it back to it's normal level of aching. Tylenol is my best friend.

Other than that, I'm pretty good. I haven't fallen down any stairs (knock wood!) in quite a while! :) All the rain and humidity we've been having is playing havoc with my allergies but that's just annoying, not painful.

NickiT
07-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Haha....couldn't resist this thread! I have a double whammy! I badly tore a hamstring back in April which took me off the ice for 6 weeks. Although I'm back on the ice and getting almost back to normal, I'm still suffering with a little discomfort in that leg. Then a couple of weeks ago the hip on my other side started to hurt really badly - spinning was agony and anything done on the other leg was so painful I simply gave up skating for a few days. After seeing my physio I found out I've strained my hip flexor. At a guess it's probably a combination of coming back onto the ice and doing too much too soon and a sort of compensation thing from the original injury. Just for the record the original injury didn't happen on the ice - I tried to climb over a 6 foot tall gate and fell backwards but my foot got caught resulting in a nasty tear to my hamstring on the way down!

Nicki

jazzpants
07-12-2008, 11:11 AM
OW OW OW for all you guys....

Let's see... was trying to dodge a group of skaters, particularly my choreographer, who was doing last minute stuff for the group ensemble together... Slide right on my left side... sore on both my left side and my wrist, but meh... could have been worse!!! I know my secondary coach was watching too since she made some comment about it just before my lesson with primary coach. Primary coach didn't comment... he was in the "FINALLY she FALLS" mode! :roll: (Of course, later on he was corrected and that I took a bunch of splats on my sit spin the day before... but he still wasn't impressed, pointing out some 12 year old that falls about 20 times a day. Ummm... last I've checked I'm NOT a small 12 year old kid. I'm a 40 year old woman with back problems here!!! AND she was doing double jumps at the time of those splats!!! :evil: )

I've had the usual sciatica pain from jumping too much. I also have the occasional muscle pulling pain in the back of the thighs near the knees (but not at the knees) from all those lower sit spins that I've been trying to get. But I guess I should count myself fortunate considering that things could have been worse.

Black Sheep
07-12-2008, 02:57 PM
A stupid little knot at the base of my spine. I get it when I bend over funny to tie my skates. ;)

liz_on_ice
07-12-2008, 03:10 PM
big honking blister behind the heel of my landing foot. The skin tore loose as I pulled the boot off, so now there's a raw patch the size of a quarter. owie owie owie.

smelltheice
07-12-2008, 03:26 PM
By the sound of things, it looks like I have gotten off likely over the years. However, I have had more injuries from skating and more trips to the physio than I ever did in my other sport and I used to do that for a living (show jumping). I've had a few head injuries with the scars to prove it, badly bruised hip that I fell on three consecutive days after it got injured and damaged wrists from trying to save myself in falls in my very early years. But I do count myself lucky compared to some others that I have known!!

Skittl1321
07-12-2008, 04:14 PM
This is one of the first weeks I don't have an actual injury to report- other than just hurting knees, but that's on going since January.

However, I stabbed myself just below the left knee with the tail end of my blade. I'm kind of glad I have a current tetanus shot- because I really ripped a lot of skin off and it's painfuly and puffy and red. The worst part- I wasn't skating. Just sitting on the benches uncrossing my leg.

RachelSk8er
07-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Last Saturday, at the end of a 2 hr session (where I worked for the better part of an hour only on jumps), I tripped on a backward crossover and screwed up my L knee. It's been black and swollen all week, but started to feel better by Weds so I was able to skate (it was just a little sore the next morning).

Yesterday at the very end of my lesson (most of which was spent on axels), I gracefully toppled over gong into a sit-change-sit, I'm still not sure how the heck that happened, and I ended up twisting and landing on the already injured knee. My coach had to help me off the ice, I couldn't put any weight on it. Luckily I don't think I did anything major. It's a little stiff and sore, but today it feels ok to walk around. I didn't skate this morning because I didn't want to make it worse.

herniated
07-12-2008, 05:11 PM
This is a very funny thread!!!! Let's see... my back, my back my aching back!!! It's always a bit wonky. Right now I have some sciatic nerve action coming and going and my shoulder is a bit achey. My right foot pain comes and goes too.

sk8lady
07-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Just for the record the original injury didn't happen on the ice - I tried to climb over a 6 foot tall gate and fell backwards but my foot got caught resulting in a nasty tear to my hamstring on the way down!

Nicki

Do we dare ask why you were climbing over a 6 foot tall gate?

sk8tegirl06
07-12-2008, 11:23 PM
big honking blister behind the heel of my landing foot. The skin tore loose as I pulled the boot off, so now there's a raw patch the size of a quarter. owie owie owie.

I have the same blister. ;) A slightly bruised right knee, when I banged into the wall trying to put my guards on as I was coming off the ice. Right now everything is just sore from trying to break in new boots. :giveup:

Isk8NYC
07-12-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm hurting (back and hips mostly) from too much packing and too little exercise. It even hurts to wake up.

katz in boots
07-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Have you been to the dr. about this? I had benign positional vertigo a few years ago and it was the weirdest thing, and did screw up my skating. Supposedly for this type of vertigo small particles in your inner ear get dislodged and float around, sending out incorrect signals that your head is moving when it's still.

The even weirder thing was how I got rid of it...the doctor told me that there really is no way to treat or cure BPV--but that summer I was out rollerblading with my son and he suddenly let out a shriek--I turned very quickly and fell flat on my stomach. Knocked the wind out of me but when I got up the BPV was gone (the doctor told me later a very sudden movement like that can knock the particles back into place.) I started yelling, "It's a miracle!" which caused my husband to think I had whacked my head! ;)

Ah, if only! I had extensive testing a couple of years ago, without any cause being found. It is usually brought on by flying, even lifts will do it to me. This time it appears to have something to do with fluid retention from anti-inflamatories I was taking for my hand/arm overuse problem. It'll last probably 4 weeks before going away altogether until the next time :evil: But it doesn't stop me skating.

NickiT
07-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Do we dare ask why you were climbing over a 6 foot tall gate?

I picked up the back door keys by mistake - was supposed to grab car and front door keys as was off to collect kids from school. Thought I'd climb over the gate to get to back door to open it! Instead I nearly killed myself! I won't be grabbing the wrong keys again in a hurry!

Nicki

looplover
07-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Grr, I fell and smashed the top of my metacarpal under my left index finger...weeks ago...still hurts. It's not swollen but I wonder if I did something...

momsk8er
07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I had one of those toe pick falls (this was sooo stupid, my coach told me to bend my knees more on my power stroking, and I forgot that if I bent my knee more, I would have to pick up my free foot more when doing the crossover.) Free foot toepick dragged on the ice and I went splat on my stomach. Have had a pain in my right side ever since. Don't know if I cracked a rib or just pulled a muscle. I'm leaning toward the pulled muscle diagnosis. I has been about 3 weeks now.

Mel On Ice
07-13-2008, 03:09 PM
hips, shins and feet from breaking in new boots. It's getting better, my time on the ice is increasing from 10 minutes to 40 minutes without limping off to relieve my bloody stumps of their vices.

AgnesNitt
07-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Arthritis of the spine caused by crushed vertebrae in my twenties when I was thrown from a horse who shied at the canter. And a knee injury from slipping off a runaway, that to this day makes me need 30 min of warm up.:cry:

I will never have a fall in figure skating as bad as falling from the back of a fast moving horse. :D I love this sport.

momsk8er
07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
I will never have a fall in figure skating as bad as falling from the back of a fast moving horse. :D I love this sport.

Yes me too! I came off a really tall horse (17+ hands) about 3 years ago and spasmed every muscle in my back. My physio said my back would never be the same, even though nothing was broken. I am mostly well now - but my back muscles are still weak.

looplover
07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I had one of those toe pick falls (this was sooo stupid, my coach told me to bend my knees more on my power stroking, and I forgot that if I bent my knee more, I would have to pick up my free foot more when doing the crossover.) Free foot toepick dragged on the ice and I went splat on my stomach. Have had a pain in my right side ever since. Don't know if I cracked a rib or just pulled a muscle. I'm leaning toward the pulled muscle diagnosis. I has been about 3 weeks now.

Ooh, I had that fall but landed on my knees and palms. Knees have never been the same since :(

Thin-Ice
07-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Aside from the usual collection of bunions, bruises and calluses, all I've got going is some tendonitis in my left hip, due to relentless practice prior to my Gold MIF test (which I passed, so at least I have something to show for the pain!).

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thin-Ice
07-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Well, you're all making me feel MUCH better. I tore cartilage in my knee sometime betweek the week before I left for AN and two weeks back from AN. (As someone else said "of course I hurt, I'm a skater"). I didn't pay too much attention to it until I realized it had been hurting at least two weeks. So in addition to doing therapy three times a day, commiserating with a couple of other injured skaters on-line and saving lots of time and money not going to the rink, I'm making myself feel better by getting done a lot of projects I've always said I would get to "someday when I have time". Amazing how much you can do when you have an extra 3-4 hours a day.

I have had a couple lessons since then.. but I'm really restricted in what I can work on, no jumps, no sit spins, not much in the way of anything on my toes.. which my coach likes to put in footwork... so lots of presentation factor stuff and roughing out the choreography for new Interp. program and re-doing last season's freestyle program.

Oh and lots of sleeping too... which I'm ONLY doing because the doctor says my body will recover better if I'm well-rested (not because I'm lazy or anything... RRRIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTT.....:roll:)

quarkiki2
07-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Aside from the mom-of-a-ten-month-old-nighttime-snacker no-sleep disorder, my shoulders have been pretty sore since we tried the whole "drag Quark in the splits" thing. They only hurt when I extend them above my head and backwards, so not much at all during most daily activity, but I drove my kids to see my dad this weekend and handing stuff to them in the back seat was quite painful.

However, the getting into the splits was controlled enough that I did not whack my back knee, as I've been known to do in the splits on ice and in deep lunges. Note to self: never worry about your extension in lunges... :roll: And the splits themselves never cause pain, so I am fortunate in that regard.

jazzpants
07-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh and lots of sleeping too... which I'm ONLY doing because the doctor says my body will recover better if I'm well-rested (not because I'm lazy or anything... RRRIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTT.....:roll:)Think of it as "earning your vacation" from practice!!! ;) :twisted: (Yeah, I know. Didn't think that would work either... :roll: If you're like me, skating *IS* your vacation!)

NCSkater02
07-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I got myself hockey skates for Christmas--with a helmet. Thought all I needed to protect was my noggin. Nope, I needed knee pads. I landed square on my patella--twice. That was on Christmas day. My knee still has not healed--I may have actually fractured it or tore the patella tendon. Luckily, it doesn't hurt....most of the time. Haven't been back on them yet.

I'm also nursing a rope burn on my leg from the dog--90+ pounds, dragging a rope across my leg. Didn't even feel it until later, but it really aches right now.

Morgail
07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
What a timely post! I've been falling like crazy lately.

-last Friday, I tripped on a 3-turn (yes, a 3-turn) and smacked the outside of my right knee. Then, at the end of the session, I fell really hard on an axel attempt, hit the exact same spot on my knee and the top of my thigh. Thigh isn't bruised, but it still hurts. Bruise on right knee is now a lovely shade of greenish yellow.

-on Saturday, I fell on something (can't even remember what) and got a nice bruise on my other knee.

-on Sunday, I did a click of death while setting up a lutz. Sitting at work really hurt today. Then, that same session, I did a nice flip, but leaned too far back on the landing, started to fall backwards, caught myself, but also caught the back of my right blade in the ice and fell onto my left knee. That bruise sits nicely below the one from Saturday.

-Didn't fall today!!! :D

My husband thinks I'm insane. He's afraid I'm going to do something like I did last fall with my ankle. I told him that's why we have health insurance;)

Thin-Ice
07-15-2008, 03:17 AM
Think of it as "earning your vacation" from practice!!! ;) :twisted: (Yeah, I know. Didn't think that would work either... :roll: If you're like me, skating *IS* your vacation!)

Nice try JP.. but, uhm, well..... I guess I have to publicly admit it: "My name is Thin-Ice and I'm a skate-a-holic....":oops::roll:

jazzpants
07-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Nice try JP.. but, uhm, well..... I guess I have to publicly admit it: "My name is Thin-Ice and I'm a skate-a-holic....":oops::roll:
I think most of our adult skaters here on this board suffers from AOSS and are in (or should be in) "Skater's Anonymous." (Yours truly included!!!) :P :lol:

Mrs Redboots
07-16-2008, 09:42 AM
I think most of our adult skaters here on this board suffers from AOSS and are in (or should be in) "Skater's Anonymous." (Yours truly included!!!) :P :lol:
Er - why? This is one addiction I don't want to be rid of!

jazzpants
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Er - why? This is one addiction I don't want to be rid of!
True... :P I don't either! I have a nice supportive community, friends, fun exercise, artistic performance outlet (for me), an excuse to get dressed up and look great (or silly), and hey, at 40 years old, I am in better physical shape than I was in my early to mid 30's!!! My cholesterol now down to healthy range!

Compare with me before I started skating... I was 1) depressed, 2) in good physical shape but was not "healthy" or "full of vitality" (for those who knows Japanese (yes, I mean you, doubletoe!), "genki" is the right phrase, 3) stressed (b/c of work... okay that hasn't changed much but the skating helps me to get me calmer thru out the day...) 4) stuck in a mindset where the only thing that matter was making money and having higher status.

Sorry, I'll take the addiction ANY DAY!!!

Thin-Ice
07-17-2008, 02:56 AM
True... :P I don't either! I have a nice supportive community, friends, fun exercise, artistic performance outlet (for me), an excuse to get dressed up and look great (or silly), and hey, at 40 years old, I am in better physical shape than I was in my early to mid 30's!!! My cholesterol now down to healthy range!

Compare with me before I started skating... I was 1) depressed, 2) in good physical shape but was not "healthy" or "full of vitality" (for those who knows Japanese (yes, I mean you, doubletoe!), "genki" is the right phrase, 3) stressed (b/c of work... okay that hasn't changed much but the skating helps me to get me calmer thru out the day...) 4) stuck in a mindset where the only thing that matter was making money and having higher status.

Sorry, I'll take the addiction ANY DAY!!!

I completely agree with all of the above... besides my (non-skating) husband says I'm a nicer person to be around when I skate.. and he likes what he calls "the backside benefits". He's even said I can't stop skating.. because it enhances his favorite part of the female body. :roll::oops: But I certainly don't want to argue with him about not-stopping!!!

ibreakhearts66
07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, I'm hardly an adult, only 18, but I'm definitely hurtin'.

I had surgery on my right leg about 3 weeks ago on my right leg. I'm cleared to skate, but the incision runs just inside my boot so it gets sore when I do anything that pushes the edge of my boot against my leg. It also swells up beautifully after I skate.

I also re-pulled my left hip flexor yesterday. I pulled it really badly a few months ago (felt it tear--not good), and it took like 6 weeks to heal. Now it's hurting again :roll:

My right hip is still achey. It's better than before the surgery, but still gets stiff and sore (and still catches a little sometimes).

I have a few other ailments, but I think I've carried on long enough for one post.

coskater64
07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
I have managed to get all my singles back but they are very small, compared to where they were 3 years ago. I continue to have a good deal of soreness but I have found dancing (solo and free dancing) to really help my strength. I am slowly but surely getting my choctaws to work, I am starting to sink better on my weak side. Lots of work on footwork and spins. I have started work on my intermediate free dance if you want a laugh you can go to the link below and see it on youtube.

Luckily I get a weekly message, so that tends to help with the aches and pains, I do find ballet and pilates really help my coordination and build my core strength.

Lovely hard fall on left butt cheek, really hurt.:mrgreen: