View Full Version : Speaking of ankle pain - this is a bit different...

TiggerTooSkates
07-09-2008, 10:53 PM
OK - I've developed a strange, puffy place on my left ankle on the top - right where the hooks start on my skate. I skate CCW. It sort of feels like my skate is still there. You can actually look and see the difference in the two ankles.

Am I tying them too tight? (This is probably such a ridiculous question, since it seems I'm answering it myself.) I do wear Bunga sleeves, and I use the disks too, but only on my right one since that's the one that actually has a pressure point. I'm a bit skittish with these things (without reason, I think) because my last ones were so floppy that I'm paranoid about ankle support now.

What a goof. :oops: Anyway, advice would be great.

kimberley801
07-10-2008, 03:06 AM
If it is on the top of your foot/ankle, it could be lace bite from tying the boots to tight. Not too sure though - to the best of my knowledge I've never had lace bite.

TiggerTooSkates
07-10-2008, 01:06 PM
That's exactly where it is. It really only hurts when I touch it. Is tying the skates more loosely the cure? I'd keep it elevated for a while with an ice pack if I could, but I'm a nurse who spends 12-16 hours a day on my feet, so that won't be possible until tomorrow - after my all night shift tonight. :(

kimberley801
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm a nurse too! I feel your pain...12hr+ shifts are brutal sometimes.

While at work with ankle pain, I took a small poppable/one-time use ice pack and used Coflex (elastic tape) to wrap it around my ankle. It worked for a little bit, as long as I wasn't running around with my head cut off.

TiggerTooSkates
07-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Sweet idea...THANKS!

(scurries off to find the Coban...already thought of the icepack but the coban is just BRILLIANT...)

sk8rmom2006
07-11-2008, 02:42 PM
OK - I've developed a strange, puffy place on my left ankle on the top - right where the hooks start on my skate. I skate CCW. It sort of feels like my skate is still there. You can actually look and see the difference in the two ankles.

Am I tying them too tight? (This is probably such a ridiculous question, since it seems I'm answering it myself.) I do wear Bunga sleeves, and I use the disks too, but only on my right one since that's the one that actually has a pressure point. I'm a bit skittish with these things (without reason, I think) because my last ones were so floppy that I'm paranoid about ankle support now.

What a goof. :oops: Anyway, advice would be great.

Hi, Hope your ankle pain went away. But my daughter recently had similar pain. I would like to share our experience.

When she complained that only when she did jump and landed on ice, she felt pain in front of her ankle and one side of her heel. At first we thought it was related to lace. But she said it was not. Then her coach wanted us to take her to have x ray just to see if there was any stress fracture. She had been doing jumps, most are doubles, including double axels. She also attempted triple sal. Since she is only 10. Her coach was afraid there is bone issue. But since we had to wait a week to see her ped sport med doc., her coach recommended us to see physical therapist. After visit, we were told that there is nothing wrong with the bone. It is just her ankle area is very tight due to her boots support her ankle. Her ankle range ability is none or very limited. By doing a lot jumping, means a lot landing, means she need to bent ankle many times. This caused the stress or over used in muscles and tendons in that area. We had seen therapist for 4 times. She did some work on her ankles and cal area. Now she is pain free. So if you still feel pain, you might want to check out with a good physical therapist.

Good luck.

TiggerTooSkates
07-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Hi, Hope your ankle pain went away. But my daughter recently had similar pain. I would like to share our experience.

When she complained that only when she did jump and landed on ice, she felt pain in front of her ankle and one side of her heel. At first we thought it was related to lace. But she said it was not. Then her coach wanted us to take her to have x ray just to see if there was any stress fracture. She had been doing jumps, most are doubles, including double axels. She also attempted triple sal. Since she is only 10. Her coach was afraid there is bone issue. But since we had to wait a week to see her ped sport med doc., her coach recommended us to see physical therapist. After visit, we were told that there is nothing wrong with the bone. It is just her ankle area is very tight due to her boots support her ankle. Her ankle range ability is none or very limited. By doing a lot jumping, means a lot landing, means she need to bent ankle many times. This caused the stress or over used in muscles and tendons in that area. We had seen therapist for 4 times. She did some work on her ankles and cal area. Now she is pain free. So if you still feel pain, you might want to check out with a good physical therapist.

Good luck.

I'm going to pick the brain of the physical therapist on our floor at work in the next week or so.

I also invested in a fancier pair of Bunga pads today - the ones with the really thick gel over the ankle area and in the heel (my right heel is a bit wider than my left, and my right heel cup is therefore more painful). I'm thinking this might do the trick.

I appreciate all this great advice! :bow: