View Full Version : New Skates for DD..Hope the boot was not a mistake

kimmee4
07-08-2008, 09:22 PM
A few weeks ago we went to a very reputable skate shop in the community for new boots and blades for DD 10. She weights around 85lbs. She is a strong skater ( has speed and power )We got a little over a year in her old boots ( they broke down ). The old boots were Gold medallions ( I think) . She was only on Basic 8 at the time. She has now finished fs6 and is working on her axel. Her new skates are Bronze star. Its a big boot upgrade for her. Now I am stressed about it. DD had this amazing sit spin (the lowest sit spin with out actually sitting on the ice). When the blades were attatched today, the fitter asked her to bend her knees. She could bend them but it looked like it took effort. I am really concerned now that its going to take forever to break these in. Any advice? or thoughts?

Isk8NYC
07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Relax, all new skates take a bit of time to break in. Until then, the "deep knee" stuff is a bit difficult - sit spins, shoot-the-ducks, crossovers, things that look and feel awkward when you can't bend your knees.

You could try leaving the top hook undone when the skates are tied. Only do it for the first few weeks. It makes knee bends easier.