View Full Version : Adult Skating Question

sk8tegirl06
07-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I finally did my first competition a couple weeks ago, and I'm officially hooked. :D So I have been looking up future competitions to do, with my schedule in college it has been a little difficult. However, I may be interested in doing the Halloween Classic in Aston. (I have e-mailed my coach, but she is out of state right now.) I turn 21 in October, so I believe I am age eligible. However, I was wondering if I need to pass adult track tests in order to compete? I have currently passed pre-pre moves and free. I may take preliminary moves between now and November. Is there some sort of crossover pattern I can follow?

doubletoe
07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I finally did my first competition a couple weeks ago, and I'm officially hooked. :D So I have been looking up future competitions to do, with my schedule in college it has been a little difficult. However, I may be interested in doing the Halloween Classic in Aston. (I have e-mailed my coach, but she is out of state right now.) I turn 21 in October, so I believe I am age eligible. However, I was wondering if I need to pass adult track tests in order to compete? I have currently passed pre-pre moves and free. I may take preliminary moves between now and November. Is there some sort of crossover pattern I can follow?

The USFSA has decided to allow standard track tests in lieu of adult track tests for adult competitors Bronze and above, effective September 1, 2008. However, you need to have passed Preliminary MIF and Free in order to compete at Adult Bronze, so your choices at this point would be:

To skate Bronze:
1) Pass Preliminary MIF and Free,
OR
2) Pass Adult Pre-bronze MIF and Free, then Adult Bronze MIF and Free

To skate Pre-bronze:
Pass Adult Pre-bronze MIF and Free

You can find the details on page 13 of the Combined Report of Action from Governing Council:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Combined%20ROA%205-7-07%20thru%205-3-08.pdf

Incidentally, many local, non-qualifying competitions allow you to "skate up" one level above your test level, so ask the host club if you can compete in Bronze if you've only passed the Pre-preliminary test instead of the Preliminary test. You can refer them to the link above if they aren't aware of the new standard test rules for adults.

sk8tegirl06
07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the link. If I do it I may have to compete up a level, we just really started working on back spins this week. Plus my loop and flip are nowhere near test or competition ready.

LilJen
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Many comps do not feature pre-bronze comps, but if that one does, then go for it!! Also, keep an eye out for ISI competitions, too. I've found them to be a lot of fun!

sexyskates
07-09-2008, 08:58 PM
The Halloween Classic has had Pre-Bronze levels in the past and also has allowed skating up. I don't think you will have any problems qualifying.

sk8tegirl06
07-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Now I'm slightly confused. Would I be pre-bronze or bronze? I'm fine with competing up a level. But based on what was said earlier there is no crossover between pre-preliminary and pre-bronze, that it starts with preliminary and bronze.

I can successfully do waltz, salchow, toe loop, half flip, and half lutz. Hopefully by November I will have a loop and/or flip. I can do scratch and sit spins. I just started back spins and have played around with camels briefly. When I looked up the requirements for pre-bronze and bronze, I would think I would be closer to bronze than pre-bronze. Of course I will talk to my coach about it, but she will be out of the country for the next month or so. I was just hoping to get a vague idea of the adult world of skating.

skaternum
07-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Quite frankly, it depends on the specific competition. Each LOC is allowed to set their own eligibility requirements, so your best bet is to go look at the announcement for competitions you're interested in.