View Full Version : Dara Torres - inspiring to skaters, too!

looplover
07-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't know about you guys but the fact that Dara Torres is going to her fifth olympics at age 41 is incredibly inspiring to me as an adult skater!

Now if only I had those triple jumps ... :P

Scarlett
07-07-2008, 06:16 PM
She's amazing. And a world record holder to boot. I want to be like her when I grow up. Ok new goal....if she can go to the Olympics 5 times, I can certainly land a double jump in my lifetime...now if I can only manage a sit spin.

jskater49
07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Saw a thing on her last night. She spends $100,000 a year on trainers. People have stretch her for two hours every day.

Nope, can't say that inspires me...but if you have the time and money and that's how you want to spend your time, go for it.

j

looplover
07-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Saw a thing on her last night. She spends $100,000 a year on trainers. People have stretch her for two hours every day.

Nope, can't say that inspires me...but if you have the time and money and that's how you want to spend your time, go for it.

j

Ok, but even with people stretching me for two hours and spending $100,000 I still would not be able to make an olympic team once, never mind five times and breaking world records to boot. But, I guess it's all about attitude, isn't it?

jskater49
07-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Ok, but even with people stretching me for two hours and spending $100,000 I still would not be able to make an olympic team once, never mind five times and breaking world records to boot. But, I guess it's all about attitude, isn't it?

No I don't think it's all about attitude. She first made the Olympic team when she was much younger. She's talented, and she has money and leisure to train. Could she do it without the drive she has? No. Could she do it only with attitude and drive? No.

j

looplover
07-08-2008, 09:55 AM
No I don't think it's all about attitude. She first made the Olympic team when she was much younger. She's talented, and she has money and leisure to train. Could she do it without the drive she has? No. Could she do it only with attitude and drive? No.

j

Ah, then maybe I should have said "perspective" as I really meant attitude as in the eye of the beholder. Clearly what she's doing is an amazing accomplishment. Nobody else has done it. She can have trainers and stretchers every minute, but that doesn't mean everyone can do what she's done. Other olympians have tried to do what she's done and haven't been able to do it - I actually know one (a guy).

I personally find it extremely inspiring, (bringing this back to skating now) as I find figure skating to be say 90% mental - if we think we can't do something then for sure we're not going to be able to do it. She's throwing that attitude out the window, firmly believes age is a number and is preparing/training based on that, as well as her past experience.

jazzpants
07-08-2008, 12:45 PM

j
True... except if she makes even MORE money out of being on the Olympic team and winning the gold, then it becomes a NECESSITY... much like buying work clothes so you can work to make a living... And you can bet on it also that she takes out TONS of tax deductions too on her training, swimming coach, swimsuits, goggles, swim caps... ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC.... :mrgreen:

I have tons of adult skaters at my rink that started out older than I am and they are WAAAAY better skaters than me. They are still improving too!!! (One of them happens to be my personal trainer, BTW!!!) I really don't have MUCH of an excuse to use my age as a "wimps way out" there. My coaches won't let me and neither will my personal trainer!!! 8O

(I can hear when I gripe about my lower back during my lesson that my primary coach would say in his snide evil grin that "getting old is a B****, huh?" :twisted: )

doubletoe
07-08-2008, 01:14 PM
This morning I overheard two of our coaches (one an Olympic gold medalist himself) raving about her accomplishment. Then they looked at me to see if I was inspired, LOL! But they also mentioned that she comes from a wealthy family and that has afforded her the rare opportunity to continue training while her former competitors all quit at some point to work and make money. But of course I'm still inspired! I'm also inspired by Natalie Shaby, who is a year older than I am and still landing double axels in combination! :)