View Full Version : Jackson Freestyle skates(m)

isakswings
07-07-2008, 05:00 AM
can anyone tell me if these would be good for a skater who weighs under 60 pounds and is working on spins(sit, camel, scratch, ect) and single jumps(no axel)? She's really in the begining stages of learning the things I mentioned. She's a likely a freestyle 1 level but has passed up to Basic 8(USFSA). I read one review that said they wouldn't be good beyond a waltz jump(and dd lands those now). I am thinking that is purely the opinion of the reviewer and might not be fact. I'm thinking dure to her size, she will likely be just fine in a Freestyle boot. She's currently in a older model Bronze Medallion. She is outgrowing this boot AND her coach has told me they are not supporting her like they should. The boot is not broken down, dd just needs a stiffer boot.

Thanks!

Skating Jessica
07-07-2008, 05:14 AM
I have a student who skates in a Jackson brand, but I don't think their the style/model you're thinking about. Anyway, she seems to be doing fine, but she's in just a very basic boot. She's 9 and very light; however, she's just working on beginning singles and such like waltz jumps, half-flips, salchows, and toeloops, and spins like two-foot, one-foot, and beginning scratch spins.

Perhaps your coach can suggest something or direct you to a skate shop that can better answer your questions based on your daughter's individual skating needs.

sk8tmum
07-07-2008, 07:47 AM
There are a number of threads about these particular skates and this particular question ... check in the search function. Me, I would think that these are two stiff a boot given her weight and what she's landing ... but that's just me, because I'm of the "underboot" cult. There are many skaters with that same weight and profile and much higher jumps (incl. doubles) who are using Freestyles. She'd never bend, in all likelihood, the Competitor which is one up. But, of course, your coach is your first line of reference.

isakswings
07-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I have a student who skates in a Jackson brand, but I don't think their the style/model you're thinking about. Anyway, she seems to be doing fine, but she's in just a very basic boot. She's 9 and very light; however, she's just working on beginning singles and such like waltz jumps, half-flips, salchows, and toeloops, and spins like two-foot, one-foot, and beginning scratch spins.

Perhaps your coach can suggest something or direct you to a skate shop that can better answer your questions based on your daughter's individual skating needs.

She sounds like she is doing some of the things my daughter is doing. My daughter is 10. My daughter's coach is out of town unti the 21st and I'd like to get her some skates before then. Thanks!

isakswings
07-07-2008, 10:23 AM
There are a number of threads about these particular skates and this particular question ... check in the search function. Me, I would think that these are two stiff a boot given her weight and what she's landing ... but that's just me, because I'm of the "underboot" cult. There are many skaters with that same weight and profile and much higher jumps (incl. doubles) who are using Freestyles. She'd never bend, in all likelihood, the Competitor which is one up. But, of course, your coach is your first line of reference.

Thak you! Do you have any idea how these compare to the Riedell Gold Medallion? I was thinking of buying her those also. Her friend skates in those and she was below my daughter's level when she started skating in those boots. My daughter's coach is out of town until the 21st. Before she left, I did ask a bit about skates. She said she is not too picky at this level but she did mention a skate with a decent toe pick and decent boot.

jcookie1982
07-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm an adult skater (triple the size of your DD), and skate in Freestyles. I'm working on single jumps, beginning spins, and the freestyles are fine for me. Not sure if they'd be too stiff for your DD or not.

BuggieMom
07-07-2008, 11:43 AM
My dd has Gold Medallions, is about 67 pounds, and is working on all doubles up to 2lutz...I think those would be just fine for your dd!

John Hermata, aka "Mr. Edge", recommended Gold Medallions for my dd, even after her was told what jumps she was/will soon be working on. He said if she were 70 pounds, he might consider Bronze Stars, but the GM's would suit her fine even through 2axel! So far, they are working just fine, and we have the added bonus of a boot that doesn't require a long break-in period.

As far as I can tell, the Freestyles are along the same lines as Gold Medallions.

sk8tmum
07-07-2008, 01:35 PM
that was one of the best lessons we learned. First, the other skater may be mis-booted (because they may have looked at another skater, or maybe, the bootfitter didn't do a good job) - and the other skater may be different than yours (some kids can bend a stiffer boot even at a lower level of skating than another one can).

You have to get a good recommendation, from a really good bootfitter who can check your kids strength, weight, ability to bend a boot, look at her current boots (how are they broken in? are they broken down?) look at the shape of her feet (my DD is in Riedells, they fit great because of the shape of her feet, other skaters don't fit them); and discuss your plans for the future (how much? how often?) etc. Then, over and beyond the boots: blades. What kind? What style? Are you heading for Pattern 99m, GoldSeal, or something else? That makes a difference.

It's the biggest and most important investment you make. My DS still has the scars on his feet from a mis-fitted boot ... and, a youngster may not be able to explain how a boot fits or feels, or know if they fit right (my DS shocked us when he got a pair of boots and told us how "neat" it was that his heel was staying down in the boot instead of coming up all the time ... he didn't tell us before that this was happening, because to him that was what was supposed to happen).

We worship our fitter, and drive 2 hours each way to get to him; then, we drive in a different direction 1-1/2 hours each way to get to the guy who mounts and sharpens. It's worth it ... we learned THAT the hard way. :roll:

sk8tmum
07-07-2008, 01:40 PM
But ... my DD only got out of Freestyles when she was 5'7" tall, 120 pounds, and landing huge single jumps, working on her axel. Up to then, the fitter wouldn't give he a stiffer boot, because he looked at the break-in pattern and knew that she didn't have the strength to bend a stiffer boot and maintain the depth of her kneebend. She does now ...

DS is still wearing the equivalent of less than the stiffness of Freestyles in Klingbeils (custom), and he's landing all of his doubles up to lutz, plus his axel, and they're big jumps, not popups off the ice; 5' and about 95 lbs, skating 6 days a week. If that helps.

twokidsskatemom
07-07-2008, 02:45 PM
that was one of the best lessons we learned. First, the other skater may be mis-booted (because they may have looked at another skater, or maybe, the bootfitter didn't do a good job) - and the other skater may be different than yours (some kids can bend a stiffer boot even at a lower level of skating than another one can).

You have to get a good recommendation, from a really good bootfitter who can check your kids strength, weight, ability to bend a boot, look at her current boots (how are they broken in? are they broken down?) look at the shape of her feet (my DD is in Riedells, they fit great because of the shape of her feet, other skaters don't fit them); and discuss your plans for the future (how much? how often?) etc. Then, over and beyond the boots: blades. What kind? What style? Are you heading for Pattern 99m, GoldSeal, or something else? That makes a difference.

It's the biggest and most important investment you make. My DS still has the scars on his feet from a mis-fitted boot ... and, a youngster may not be able to explain how a boot fits or feels, or know if they fit right (my DS shocked us when he got a pair of boots and told us how "neat" it was that his heel was staying down in the boot instead of coming up all the time ... he didn't tell us before that this was happening, because to him that was what was supposed to happen).

We worship our fitter, and drive 2 hours each way to get to him; then, we drive in a different direction 1-1/2 hours each way to get to the guy who mounts and sharpens. It's worth it ... we learned THAT the hard way. :roll:

Please know we all dont live near a booterfitter so people should share what they know. Yes, a bootfitter is great but we dont have one in our whole state. Cant drive to one.
That said my daughter was in jackson fs when she first started, and she was only 5 or so and weighted less than yours. They do last well into doubles, and they are a very common boot in our region.
She is in a Ridelle silver star now, and has some doubles.

isakswings
07-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Please know we all dont live near a booterfitter so people should share what they know. Yes, a bootfitter is great but we dont have one in our whole state. Cant drive to one.
That said my daughter was in jackson fs when she first started, and she was only 5 or so and weighted less than yours. They do last well into doubles, and they are a very common boot in our region.
She is in a Ridelle sliver star now, and has some doubles.

This is my problem... we don't have a true boot fitter near us either and I don't know of one close to us. I'm limited in my selection of available skates too. I took dd to the store that carry's Jackson skates, but even the clerk in the store openly admits he knows very little about figure skates. They had a Jackson sizing measuring stick, but beyond that there really is no help for me. I did measure her foot and I did get the same measurement that I got using the guideines on their web page and my own measuring tape, so that is good. That said, I have NO clue how to figure out the width she'd need. In Riedell's, she is a regular width but they run narrow and Jackson's tend to run wider... soooo I have NO clue.

The closest I come to a boot fitter is the skating director at the rink we skate at. They sell Riedell skates and can fit you for Riedell's. He fit me for my own Gold Medallions and I am extremely happy with the fit and feel of my skates. He measured dd last year too and at the time and was helpful. I'm very tempted to go with Riedell skates again since dd seems to do well in them AND I can be certain they will fit her correctly. I agree that I don't want her in too stiff of a boot and I think he can direct me but he and his wife are out of the country right now, so I am stuck! I have heard there is one other guy who can fit people for Riedell skates so I may go that route. I need to get her new skates ASAP. She is complaining more and more about how her current skates are fitting(toes hurting mainly...). Last year when she started complaining like this, she had outgrown her skates. Anyway... I appreciate the feedback. I wish we had a boot fitter in this area, but as far as I know we don't. I agree I need to consider dd's needs and how she wears boots and I will do that but I'm trying to get a better idea of what others her level might use. She is a petite little thing!

Thanks again. Next summer she will be in So. California for a trip and I am VERY tempted to take her somewhere that has a good boot fitter. We'll cross that bridge next year, but it is definately something I am thinking of!

isakswings
07-08-2008, 02:28 AM
But ... my DD only got out of Freestyles when she was 5'7" tall, 120 pounds, and landing huge single jumps, working on her axel. Up to then, the fitter wouldn't give he a stiffer boot, because he looked at the break-in pattern and knew that she didn't have the strength to bend a stiffer boot and maintain the depth of her kneebend. She does now ...

DS is still wearing the equivalent of less than the stiffness of Freestyles in Klingbeils (custom), and he's landing all of his doubles up to lutz, plus his axel, and they're big jumps, not popups off the ice; 5' and about 95 lbs, skating 6 days a week. If that helps.

Thanks. :-)

twokidsskatemom
07-08-2008, 02:29 AM
This is my problem... we don't have a true boot fitter near us either and I don't know of one close to us. I'm limited in my selection of available skates too. I took dd to the store that carry's Jackson skates, but even the clerk in the store openly admits he knows very little about figure skates. They had a Jackson sizing measuring stick, but beyond that there really is no help for me. I did measure her foot and I did get the same measurement that I got using the guideines on their web page and my own measuring tape, so that is good. That said, I have NO clue how to figure out the width she'd need. In Riedell's, she is a regular width but they run narrow and Jackson's tend to run wider... soooo I have NO clue.

The closest I come to a boot fitter is the skating director at the rink we skate at. They sell Riedell skates and can fit you for Riedell's. He fit me for my own Gold Medallions and I am extremely happy with the fit and feel of my skates. He measured dd last year too and at the time and was helpful. I'm very tempted to go with Riedell skates again since dd seems to do well in them AND I can be certain they will fit her correctly. I agree that I don't want her in too stiff of a boot and I think he can direct me but he and his wife are out of the country right now, so I am stuck! I have heard there is one other guy who can fit people for Riedell skates so I may go that route. I need to get her new skates ASAP. She is complaining more and more about how her current skates are fitting(toes hurting mainly...). Last year when she started complaining like this, she had outgrown her skates. Anyway... I appreciate the feedback. I wish we had a boot fitter in this area, but as far as I know we don't. I agree I need to consider dd's needs and how she wears boots and I will do that but I'm trying to get a better idea of what others her level might use. She is a petite little thing!

Thanks again. Next summer she will be in So. California for a trip and I am VERY tempted to take her somewhere that has a good boot fitter. We'll cross that bridge next year, but it is definately something I am thinking of!

We ordered both kids new skaters in March from riedell, and used the sizing chart we found online. Do you have that one? We got them from a place in Az, good price and fast shipping.
We have ordered online for 5 years already...

katz in boots
07-08-2008, 04:26 AM
Where I skate, Jacksons are the main brand.
Beginners here (once they graduate from hire skates)usually start in the Mystique model, some adults start in Freestyles. If they keep at skating and start jumps beyond waltz, toe-loops, 1/2 flips & salchows, they usually will move up to Freestyles or Competitors, depending on their weight and the size of their jumps. Competitors are the choice of those ready to work on axels & flying spins.

My dd has just got Competitors, not because she needs that much boot - she needed a width modification and that's the lowest model they offer modified fittings. She's doing waltz, bunny hops, toe-loops and learning salchows. Freestyle would've been right for her, or another pair of GAM 050, they were perfect til her foot grew. She's 45kg (whatever that is in pounds) and about 5'2" at 11 years old.

Tennisany1
07-08-2008, 02:23 PM
... Freestyle would've been right for her, or another pair of GAM 050, they were perfect til her foot grew. She's 45kg (whatever that is in pounds) and about 5'2" at 11 years old.

This shows how confusing it all is for parents. My dd was in GAM 30's until this spring. She is rotating but not quite landing an axel, double salchow, and double toe. She has just moved to 50's. Now she is just 8 and weighs about 60lbs. But last year the fitter refused to put her 50's or Freestyles because he said they were both too stiff. There is another skater at our rink, also 8, who is landing up to double loop in GAM 30's. She also looks about 60lbs.

None of that probably helps much, but I would be tempted to go with the Reidels if they have worked well to now. Another thing to consider is that now that Jackson and GAM have merged, it is possible their boots will change a bit and what has been true in the past may not longer apply.

AshBugg44
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
I have a skater in Jackson Freestyles who is landing her loop and working on flip and lutz. They are working out great for her currently.

isakswings
07-09-2008, 08:53 PM
We ordered both kids new skaters in March from riedell, and used the sizing chart we found online. Do you have that one? We got them from a place in Az, good price and fast shipping.
We have ordered online for 5 years already...

Yes, I found the chart online. By my measurements, she is definately outgrowing her skates. I measure her between a 2.5 and a 3 in Riedells. Her skates are a size 2.5. I will take her next week to have her feet measured by the skating director to make sure we are getting the correct size. The rink sells Riedells and are very flexible also. It takes about a week for the skates to come in, so not too bad! Thanks!

isakswings
07-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Where I skate, Jacksons are the main brand.
Beginners here (once they graduate from hire skates)usually start in the Mystique model, some adults start in Freestyles. If they keep at skating and start jumps beyond waltz, toe-loops, 1/2 flips & salchows, they usually will move up to Freestyles or Competitors, depending on their weight and the size of their jumps. Competitors are the choice of those ready to work on axels & flying spins.

My dd has just got Competitors, not because she needs that much boot - she needed a width modification and that's the lowest model they offer modified fittings. She's doing waltz, bunny hops, toe-loops and learning salchows. Freestyle would've been right for her, or another pair of GAM 050, they were perfect til her foot grew. She's 45kg (whatever that is in pounds) and about 5'2" at 11 years old.

This shows how confusing it all is for parents. My dd was in GAM 30's until this spring. She is rotating but not quite landing an axel, double salchow, and double toe. She has just moved to 50's. Now she is just 8 and weighs about 60lbs. But last year the fitter refused to put her 50's or Freestyles because he said they were both too stiff. There is another skater at our rink, also 8, who is landing up to double loop in GAM 30's. She also looks about 60lbs.

None of that probably helps much, but I would be tempted to go with the Reidels if they have worked well to now. Another thing to consider is that now that Jackson and GAM have merged, it is possible their boots will change a bit and what has been true in the past may not longer apply.

We are going with Riedell. She'll be getting the Gold Medallion model with Jubilee blades. We thought about the Silver Medallion model, but to upgrade the blade to the Jubilee blade would actually end up costing me more then ordering Gold Medallions, so she will be in Gold Medallions like her mom, except her blade will be better then mine. :-)

isakswings
07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Update:

I talked to the skating director today. I told him what her coach told me(he knows dd's coach too) and I had him look at dd's current skates too. He thinks the Gold Medallion boot with a Wilson Jubilee blade would be a good match for dd.

I'd like to try Jackson sometime, but I am really concerned about the fit. Jacksons are less expensive then Riedells too... dang it! Anyway, what is most important is that we get the best fit possible and since I don't have many options, we'll go with Riedell again. :-)