View Full Version : What level are you and how did you feel when you reached it?

FSWer
07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Say,I don't think we've ever talked about this. But what I want you all to tell me today is...what skating level are you at presently,and tell in your own words how you first felt when you finally reached that level.

Gina10179202
07-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Do these have to be official levels, like Prepre, Intermediate etc, or just the jumps/spins/moves you are working at? I haven't taken any levels yet. :D

jazzpants
07-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Level: Adult Bronze FS

Feel: Shocked, surprised, then a sense of HUGE relief that KING KONG is finally off my back!!! Then very tired (the test session was very early Sat morning) but VERY VERY HAPPY (and in a partying mood too. It was my 39th b-day also...) :mrgreen:

FSWer
07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Do these have to be official levels, like Prepre, Intermediate etc, or just the jumps/spins/moves you are working at? I haven't taken any levels yet. :D

I was refering to Intermediate,etc. But you may give both.

Skating Jessica
07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Freestyle level: Novice.
Feeling: Like I was finally "good enough." I had an ex-coach who used to tell me how I'd never get past my Intermediate freestyle, so to be able to accomplish something that she didn't believe I could do felt so rewarding. (It was my I'll-show-you moment. ;)) Needless to say, it took a rink change and a coaching change to get to the Novice level, but that was by far the best decision I could have made. Although making such a big switch can be difficult since I was with my ex-coach for 7 years (but to give her credit, she did get me through my Senior MIF), I am now working with a ex-Olympic champion who is pushing me to be better than I think I can be rather than discouraging me from reaching my often unrealized potential.

Dance level: Gold.
Feeling: I don't think being on my Gold dances has really hit me yet. I think when I actually get all of them passed, or rather when I'm taking the last dance of this level, then I'll realize just how far I've come, a moment I somewhat experienced when I tested (and failed :oops:) my Viennese. About halfway through my solo portion of the test, I remember thinking 'Wow...I'm actually testing a Gold dance!' That was kind of cool, LOL! :D

I also have my Gold medal in Senior MIF, which I passed back in May 2005. I was deathly sick and didn't even want to test that day, but my coach would not let me scratch. And, for that I am thankful. I got through the entire test despite a fall on the end of my powerpulls, which I later re-skated flawlessly.

When I got off the ice and realized I had passed, I burst into tears [of joy]. Passing my Senior moves and getting my first Gold was amazing and such a relief. Knowing that all my hardwork and dedication paid off was the best feeling I've experienced to date in this sport. I can wait to repeat that when I get my Gold in dance.

sk8lady
07-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Freestyle level: Adult pre-bronze--so long ago I don't remember.
MIF: Bronze--weepy--I had gotten a retry the last time and was going to retake it with one of my best friends, but she had died the previous summer.
Dance: Done with pre-bronze--relieved!!

*JennaD*
07-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Freestyle: I'm on senior bronze (but I often work on harder jumps than I need for this level..) and when I passed my junior bronze, I just about fainted in relief :)

Skills: Junior silver...and when I passed my senior bronze, I don't think I stopped smiling all day!! lol

Dance: Junior silver as well...I have one more junior silver dance to do...but when I passed my dannce, a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders!!! haha and the constant voice of my dance coach yelling DONT PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN or EXTENSIONS or CURVE or LEAN or whatever else he had to yell at me for could finally disappear :)

Kristin
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Freestyle - Adult Silver

Moves - Adult Silver & Pre-Juv

Dance - up thru 1 pre-silver dance

I feel an overwhelming sense of relief every time I pass a milestone/test! Also, after working so hard to achieve a level, it is sometimes really weird when you go back on the ice after the level is completed. You pass the level, then you can work on something NEW! It's a great feeling moving onto new moves/elements! ;)

FlyAndCrash
07-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Moves: pre-juv - I PASSED AND IT'S OVER! And I was really excited to be done with moves for a few weeks... my coach, well I, said that I would get a few weeks off moves once I passed that test.

Free: pre-juv - I an finally stop doing that program! But now I have to work on moves again...

singerskates
07-05-2008, 12:35 AM
On Junior Bronze dances: currently preparing Fiesta Tango

Passed last Preliminary dance end of May 2008: I was so glad to be finally done with Preliminary dance because I've been wanting to be able to test the last dance for over 4 years but never could get lessons to refine the dance to ready it for testing and was also consentrating on freeskate and interpretive programs for competition not touching ice dance other than my Prelim Creative Dance. By the way, we were going to test my Prelim Creative Dance but found that we were going to get the wrong type of judge. So with only 2 weeks to the test day, we changed the plan from my Prelim Creative Dance to the Baby Blues. Many of the coaches were surprised that I had passed the dance with only two weeks of time(2 lessons a week) going in to the test.

Passed Introductory Interpretive freeskate at 2007 Skate Canada Adult Championships and now compete in Canada at the Introductory Interpretive level. I was surprised that I had passed the test being that I was sick with the flu and hardly felt like I was over my feet and in the competition I came in last place in 2007. In the US, I'll still be competing at the Adult Interpretive level.

Haven't tested Preliminary Freeskate yet: Injuries and illness prevented me from testing in the past. In 2005 a work place injury had me off the ice for a long time because I was so injured and sick (not related to injury). Because of this in the 2006/2007 season I had to restart from almost scratch after losing most skating skills and strength. Maybe this summer I will test but first I have to regain my camel with 3 or more revs, backspin with 3 or more revs, Loop 90% consistant and Flip 90% consistant.

Skating Skills: Haven't really started working on these. Have played around a bit with the Preliminary Mohawk Skill but seem to always forget what step comes next when doing the LFI mohawk side. It seems I just have trouble remembering things clockwise. Counter Clockwise is a breeze. I know there are a bunch of circles to do too but what they are, I'm not sure.