View Full Version : Dragged in the Splits -- Exactly HOW Does One Get Back Up??

quarkiki2
07-03-2008, 08:20 AM
So, our synchro team is thinking of doing the "dragged in the splits" thing and, being resident Gumby, I got to try it out last night. Well, getting down was a piece of cake, but getting back UP was, well, laughable. I kept getting the heel of my front blade stuck in the ice. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting me back up? I'm not a skinny-mini, so I'm totally aware that I'll need some strong people on either side of me if we really do this, but other than power-lifting practice for the support skaters, how should this work?

Mucho gracias in advance!

RachelSk8er
07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Are you speaking as in the old school Haydenette move where every other skater goes down (or skaters break off into lines of 3 and the middle person goes down)? You really need to use your thigh muscles to pull you back up, along with your upper body. Your teammates next to you need to help out too. And you almost need to feel like you're not going down all the way, so there is a little room left to "bounce" yourself down to help you pull yourself back up. I remember doing this in a program years ago and my back leg came in first. It took a while of looking and feeling very clumsy.

quarkiki2
07-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Yep, that's the move. I'll give that a try when we practice again.

Skittl1321
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
So it sounds like it IS all about the back leg- quarkiki.

You were AWESOME in that. I hope there are enough of us who are able to do it that we can give it a try.