View Full Version : Skating Judges passes away

Mel On Ice
07-02-2008, 11:42 AM
For those of you in the Eastern Great Lakes, I am sure you recognize her; Margaret was a Canadian and US figure skating judge. I am proud to say I have worked alongside her for the last couple of years. Prayers to her daughter Colleen and family:

http://www.sk8stuffmore.com/margaret/margaret.php

Isk8NYC
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm so sorry - may she rest in peace.

singerskates
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Passing your message onto Figure Skaters For Christ Yahoo Group.

techskater
07-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I hope Margaret rests in peace.

Thin-Ice
07-03-2008, 02:34 AM
My condolences to her family and those who knew her.

We also lost a judge in the Central Pacific region. Joan McDonnell -- who was a National level judge -- died on Sunday. She was always willing to come out and judge anyone almost anytime. She will be missed at test sessions and competitions. Many years ago when moves were first being introduced, my Masters synchro (except it was still called "precision" at that point) decided we would require all team members to pass Pre-Pre and Preliminary moves to be on the competitive team. But since many of our skaters had never even seen a test session, we decided to hold testing during one of our regular practices early in the season. We wanted someone who was tough, fair and not-scary-to-new-testers. So we invited Joan down for our test session. (As a high-level test judge, she could be the only judge on the panel.) She may not have known what she was getting into.. since we had a LOT of nervous adults testing that night -- including many who skated way below their normal ability levels, just because they were intimidated by the idea of "TESTING". She was wonderful, charming and made sure everyone was given a fair chance to show what they could actually do. One of our skaters who has been on-ice for decades was worried about the alternating forward 3-turns and not putting her foot down on one side, which she had a tendency to do when under pressure. (In practices, she was just fine... it was just the idea of a JUDGE watching her that put her nerves on edge.) Well, this skater had worked herself up into such a tizzy she actually fell on the forward crossovers in a figure 8 pattern and that required a reskate of that element for her to pass. Of course, that left her no room for other errors. She figured the test was over and she would never pass. But Joan called her to the boards just before the alternating 3-turns and said "You'll be fine.. just go out and do one practice set for me." Of course the "practice set" was fine... and Joan thanked the skater -- since she considered it the test element. Afterwards the skater said "But you said it was a practice set".. and Joan smiled and said "I meant for you to go out and skate them just like you do in practice.. and you did." I always thought that was so kind of her... she found a way to make the skater relax enough to do what she was most nervous about.

This is the notice that was sent out from the Central California Interclub Association judges bureau: "As many of you may already know, Joan McDonnell passed away early Sunday morning (6/29/08) after a long battle with cancer. She was a long-time member of the skating community as a judge and active member of Peninsula SC and a good friend to many of you. She is survived by her three daughters, Molly, Julie and Katie. Joan was always ready and willing to judge because she enjoyed watching and supporting young skaters. She will be truly missed.

Services will be held on Sunday, July 6th, at 4 p.m. at:

The Center for Spiritual Living
1195 Clark Street
San Jose, CA 95125
(408) 294-1828"

Mrs Redboots
07-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Here in the UK Mary Groombridge (http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/2126) died a few weeks ago; she will be much missed.

Skating Jessica
07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
One of our skaters who has been on-ice for decades was worried about the alternating forward 3-turns and not putting her foot down on one side, which she had a tendency to do when under pressure. (In practices, she was just fine... it was just the idea of a JUDGE watching her that put her nerves on edge.) Well, this skater had worked herself up into such a tizzy she actually fell on the forward crossovers in a figure 8 pattern and that required a reskate of that element for her to pass. Of course, that left her no room for other errors. She figured the test was over and she would never pass. But Joan called her to the boards just before the alternating 3-turns and said "You'll be fine.. just go out and do one practice set for me." Of course the "practice set" was fine... and Joan thanked the skater -- since she considered it the test element. Afterwards the skater said "But you said it was a practice set".. and Joan smiled and said "I meant for you to go out and skate them just like you do in practice.. and you did." I always thought that was so kind of her... she found a way to make the skater relax enough to do what she was most nervous about.

What a wonderful story! If only all judges were like that... :bow:

While I did not know any of these judges, my thoughts and prayers go out to their families and the skaters that knew them.