View Full Version : Prelim and Pre-Juv FS test question

RachelSk8er
07-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Testing is coming up, and I want to do some standard freestyle tests along with my adult tests. I'm planning on doing prelim (I have pre-pre from like 1990) and my silver free in a few weeks. I'll then do pre-juv probably at the next session since I don't want to have do worry about 3 cuts and versions of my program in the same day, all within a time span of about an hour and a half.

On the prelim test, it says a combination containing a single toe loop ("and one of the jumps listed above," which are a flip, loop, waltz jump, salchow). Does it matter if the toe loop is the first jump or the second jump in the combo? It does not specifcy like the pre-juv sheet does for a combination with a loop where the loop must be the 2nd jump.

Another question--on the standard test forms it says "duration 1:30" (prelim) and "duration 2:00" (pre juv)...does the +/- 10 seconds apply to that, so for prelim I could do my old bronze music cut of 1:38, and I can use my 2:09 silver cut for pre-juv?

FlyAndCrash
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I don'w know about the toe-loop thing (I had it as the second jump), but the music can be +/- 10 sec. My prejuv program was 2:07.

Good luck!

flying~camel
07-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Good to know, since I am planning on taking Preliminary freestyle at some point within the next year!

vesperholly
07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
From what I remember when I took Prelim, the toe loop can be either jump but is usually the second - otherwise you're limited to a (jump)-loop combination, which is much harder and not required until PreJuv. I did a waltz-toe loop.

blue111moon
07-02-2008, 11:07 AM
General information: what the time limit says "duration", it means that the "+/- 10 seconds" applies. When it says "max" it means that you cannot go over that.

RachelSk8er
07-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I actually took prelim free when I was 11 and failed because we didn't spend a lot of lesson time adjusting my normal program for the test. My coach just told me to make sure I had a combination with a single jump followed by a toe loop in my program. So I did an axel toe. And they had to fail me. Woops. I quit freestyle right after that.

Now if only I can get my axel back 16 yrs later...

I'm kind of irked that the combo spin in pre-juv has to have the forward scratch first and then the back scratch. I always do change of foot spins the other way around with the back spin first because for whatever reason that's easier for me. Oh well.

CaraSkates
07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty sure the toe loop is the 2nd jump for Prelim FS. That's the only way I've seen it done (plus it's easier). I was glad when they changed it from being waltz-toe to any of the above with a toe loop. I tested Prelim FS in Feb and my jumps were waltz, salchow, loop, flip and flip-toe loop and of course sit spin and backspin (I miss the scratch spin).

I wish you could do a layback to test pre-juv, that's my strongest spin.

FlyAndCrash
07-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I wish you could do a layback to test pre-juv, that's my strongest spin.

Pretty sure I would have failed my prejuv test if a layback would have been required... I'm not looking forward to the layback requirement in juv. This is one of those times I wish I were a guy. Life is so not fair sometimes.

daisies
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
On the prelim test, it says a combination containing a single toe loop ("and one of the jumps listed above," which are a flip, loop, waltz jump, salchow). Does it matter if the toe loop is the first jump or the second jump in the combo?
Based on this, wouldn't it have to be the second jump? You couldn't do a toe loop-flip or a toe loop-waltz jump or a toe loop-salchow ... those aren't combinations, they'd be sequences if you had the right hops or unlisted jumps in between. The only scenario where you could do the toe loop first and still have it be a combination is toe loop-loop.

RachelSk8er
07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Based on this, wouldn't it have to be the second jump? You couldn't do a toe loop-flip or a toe loop-waltz jump or a toe loop-salchow ... those aren't combinations, they'd be sequences if you had the right hops or unlisted jumps in between. The only scenario where you could do the toe loop first and still have it be a combination is toe loop-loop.

Yeah I guess that's what I was thinking was a toe loop-loop.

I just changed the lutz toe normally at the beginning of my program to a flip toe.