View Full Version : Jumping Harness

headcoach
06-29-2008, 02:13 PM
So, I have been thinking about purchasing a jumping harness for my facility, and I was kind of told that they were stupid and a waste of money.

However, I am find that girls within our program are going to other rinks so they can learn how to jump because other rinks have them.

It doesn't sound so stupid when kids are leaving the rink to go to other rinks to advance.

Now, if I were to invest in a jumping harness, which is a good one to get that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I have been pricing them and I see that they are around $3,500.00 USD

Plus, I have seen hand held ones as well. It just seems like the one that goes over head would have more support then a hand held application.

What are your thoughts between the two and is one better of the other?

Any help you could give me would be great.
Thanks
Head Coach

montanarose
06-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Just a suggestion: you might want to cross-post this (or move it altogether) to the On Ice-Skaters and/or On Ice-Parents & Coaches forums. Skaters and coaches tend to hang out there, whereas this forum attracts as many, if not more, fans as it does skaters -- not that there's anything wrong with that! You just might get more responses and shared experiences over there.

Skittl1321
06-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I can't give you any advice as to what harnesses are good- but I can tell you that a facility with a harness is a definite plus. I am only doing single jumps and have used ours multiple times and think they are incredibly helpful, for those doing multiple rotation jumps they are even more useful.

We have an overhead and a fishing pole harness. From what I can tell it takes a lot more skill/training to effectively use the fishing pole harness, though this is just my outside opinion just having watched it being used. The other downside to that type of harness, or possibly just the harness belt our rink has for it, is that it can only accomodate fairly small/light skaters, and the coach seems to need a lot more strength to handle it- the overhead harness the pully system takes care of most of the weight, but on the fishing pole, it's all on the coach. Our overhead system has 2 harness belts you can change out for heavier or lighter skaters.

Isk8NYC
06-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Most of our coaches use the overhead harness. One (tall and strong) male coach uses a pole harness, which he owns personally.

It's a great tool for helping students with jumps and even some spins.

The goal isn't to "hold them up" in the air, it's to control any falls that might occur, softening the landing.

vesperholly
06-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Another concern with a harness is that an overhead is permanently installed in the facility, while a fishing pole might ... "grow legs." :??

I don't personally make use of the harness, but my rink has quite a few skaters Intermediate and up, and they all use it on a regular basis.

Virtualsk8r
06-30-2008, 05:02 PM
The fishing pole harness system is by far the best piece of equipment for helping skaters learn triple jumps, double axels and even double jumps. The skater is able to approach the jump in the same pattern as they would in a program or on the ice without a harness, and on a genuine curved edge. The key here, however, is the person holding up the harness! You need a very skilled former pairs skater, ideally, or a strong well-centred male with quick reflexes who has been trained how to use the harness with a skater doing triples, double axels and doubles.

The fishing pole is best used with skaters who already understand jump mechanics and are doing the more advanced tricks. I have watched skaters land jumps they have never done before by themselves - without any help from the person holding the harness. The skater gets the 'feeling' for the jump, which can be translated into performing the move without a harness.

The straight-line fixed harness line across the end of the rink system is limiting to skaters and coaches wanting to work on the more difficult jumps. However, it is probably the best system for teaching beginners the 'feel' for single jumps and axels, or even beginning double axels and some triples. The problem with the straight line system, is that the skater must stay under the wire (no deep take-off edges, meaning lutzes are too hard) - or else the coach can't 'pull' them up .

The straight-line system must be properly installed, inspected regularly and the club insured for its use. Clubs using the fishing pole system should also carry insurance as well as the coach using it.

A club with a good harness coach is a really popular place!

sk8lady
06-30-2008, 07:05 PM
The rink where I take my lessons has an overhead jump harness. I've used it a number of times to work on my flip and my loop (which helped me to discover that my inability to do a loop is mostly in my head, since I can land one in the harness with my coach holding on with about one finger!). Most of the girls utilize the harness for the axel or doubles and it seems to work. You do need a coach who knows how to use it pretty well. The club charges a yearly fee for those who use the harness to help pay for the upkeep and inspections.

Ellyn
07-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Heh, my coach once had me trying the novice rocker-choctaws in the overhead harness. I wasn't ready to learn them yet, though.