View Full Version : Adult Bronze Program Contents

fsk8r
06-28-2008, 07:25 AM
I was just wondering what sorts of things would go in an adult bronze competitive program in the US. Having just done my first competition in the UK there seems to be more things in it than I understand a bronze level skater would have (I used to live in the US for a bit and so sort of understand both systems).
For example most people were doing the majority of their jumps as combinations and were doing combination spins. In the UK test system combo spins are considered a higher level element so I was expecting to see them at silver level.
I know from having watched some kids competitions that to be competing and doing well at a level you have to have the skills from a few levels up and at least to have the skating quality of a higher level skater. But I must have naively thought that adults would have been a bit more truer to the spirit of these levels. There seemed to be quite a few people who could possibly have competed at a higher level doing the lower level so that they could do well.
Just curious about this.

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2008, 11:57 AM
The thing about doing your jumps as combinations or sequences is that you are only allowed four jump elements at Bronze or UK Bronze, so the more combos you do, the more jumps you can include! And for those in either country who have taken their programme to Europe to get an IJS score, those combos are going to be organised to maximise the potential IJS score!

As for combination spins, if you can do them, go for them! Not everybody at Bronze can or does, but one or two people have their change-foot, and so use it.

When you have a reliable axel, or when you want to do a 2-minute programme, you move up to Silver!

Skittl1321
06-28-2008, 02:43 PM
The programs that I've seen locally the adult bronze skaters do seem to have pretty much what the test level requires. Anyone doing much more is usually known to be working on that next test.

That said, a combo spin's difficulty seems to be a matter of opinion, and what kind of combo it is. I can't do a sit spin, or a stand alone backspin, but I have a forward spin- backspin- scratch spin combo.

techskater
06-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Competitively in the US, it's usually three combo jump passes (one as three jumps if the loops/toe loops aren't used up elsewhere) and a solo jump, combo/change combo spin and a solo spin.

RachelSk8er
06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Also, it really depends on your age class.

I competed Bronze I, which was 21-28 last year (21-30 this coming year). Those of us placing higher maxxed out our jumps (1 or 2 solo jumps, 2 or 3 combo jumps--one being a 3 jump combo), and usually a single position spin, spin with a change of foot (and maybe change of position), and spin with a change of position, no change of foot.

fsk8r
06-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Also, it really depends on your age class.

I competed Bronze I, which was 21-28 last year (21-30 this coming year). Those of us placing higher maxxed out our jumps (1 or 2 solo jumps, 2 or 3 combo jumps--one being a 3 jump combo), and usually a single position spin, spin with a change of foot (and maybe change of position), and spin with a change of position, no change of foot.

Ok. That makes sense with what I saw at the competition. The ones placing higher had maxed out jumps and also had the change foot/position spin. And yes, it did seem to be harder at the younger age group. (This sport is weird, we split the kids up in age because the younger ones are physically not able and then we split the adults up because the older ones are physically not able - so you spend half your life wishing you were older and the other half wishing you're younger.)
I'd never thought there would be such a difference at a set standard between ages before. I thought a standard was a standard. I didn't notice such a large difference in the silver level skaters, but the bronze level seemed to have quite a large one. Is that because at the younger category you get late starting teenagers beginning to compete bronze and at the older categories you get true adult learners? Whereas for silver level, I had the impression that there were more child skaters competing.

techskater
06-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Typically, it gets more difficult to remain flexible when you get older and so your skills decline somewhat. Also, the older you are when you start, the harder it typically is to gain new skills because the fear is stronger.

mikawendy
06-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I've seen bronze ladies in an older age group than me doing more powerful, challenging programs than the folks in my age level, perhaps a function of the fact that they've had a longer time skating than the people in my age level. It probably all depends on the competition--at various comps, I've been beaten by the oldest person in my event as well as people who are younger than me.

doubletoe
06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I didn't notice such a large difference in the silver level skaters, but the bronze level seemed to have quite a large one. Is that because at the younger category you get late starting teenagers beginning to compete bronze and at the older categories you get true adult learners? Whereas for silver level, I had the impression that there were more child skaters competing.

I think most of the Bronze skaters are adult-onset skaters, even at the younger age classes. However, as Techskater noted, the older you are when you start, the harder it is to master these skills, whether it's a matter of fear or just the fact that you've got an older body. There's a greater chance that the average skater starting in her 20's will master the skills needed to be competitive at Silver than the average skater starting in her 40's or 50's.

skaternum
06-30-2008, 03:36 PM
There's a greater chance that the average skater starting in her 20's will master the skills needed to be competitive at Silver than the average skater starting in her 40's or 50's.
ITA. And I don't think it's just the fear, either. You've got 40+ years of muscle memory to re-do, and that's not easy. Your body is used to moving one way, and then you ask it to start moving in a completely different way. I give total props to skaters in the Pre-Bronze and Bronze events in the age classes III, IV, and IV. Those guys rock! :bow:

doubletoe
06-30-2008, 06:25 PM
ITA. And I don't think it's just the fear, either. You've got 40+ years of muscle memory to re-do, and that's not easy. Your body is used to moving one way, and then you ask it to start moving in a completely different way. I give total props to skaters in the Pre-Bronze and Bronze events in the age classes III, IV, and IV. Those guys rock! :bow:

ITA!!! :bow: