View Full Version : My coach is wonderful

phoenix
06-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I just had to post this, because sometimes I complain about how tough he is on me (and the occassional language barrier misunderstandings that lead to arguments).

But this last week he has been so kind & sweet (which he often is, truthfully). I've been pretty down on myself because of the way I botched my Killian test 2 weeks ago, and he noticed, and has been very, very nice and supportive. He's talked with me about it, told me stories about how he learned to handle nerves for competing--and, I noticed after my lesson today, has been quietly going about the task of rebuilding my confidence in such a way that I didn't even notice it at first. About halfway through my lesson today, I was no longer afraid of the dance, wasn't thinking negative thoughts when skating it, and was truly wanting to keep working on it to fine tune things. How'd he do that?? :bow:

So let's have a tribute to our coaches who also have to be psychologists and a whole lot of other things in the process of teaching us how to skate!

fsk8r
06-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes, I've got one who generally makes everyone think that however bad they're doing someone that they are making improvements. I'm still not certain what exactly she sees sometimes, but the positivity is working.
Then again, she does turn around every now and then and say that she's going to be tough on me because she knows I can do something when I sometimes gripe that its hard. But then again, the last time she said that, I came down twice as tough on me and she's been slowly rebuilding my confidence.
The only bit she's still trying to work out (and that's because we've not worked together for too long and I'm still breaking her in) is how I handle nerves. She was apparently surprised that I got nervous before a test session and doesn't quite understand why as an adult I need (and want but need more) to test. She'll get that bit eventually.

FlyAndCrash
06-26-2008, 01:19 PM
I love that about my coach too. She knows when to encourage me and give me compliments or talk about the things I can do. At the same time, she can prode and say things that make me want to do better and just nail that certain element. I think one of the best skills a coach can have is knowing how to read their skaters, and being able to know them well enough, to know what type of motivation is necessary at any given time.

If my coach wasn't hard on me, I would have no real motivation to do the things that I don't really like... On the other hand, I would have given up on many things if she didn't know when to look on the bright side and give things a rest until another day.

doubletoe
06-26-2008, 08:10 PM
My secondary coach is definitely 50% coach, 50% sports psychologist, and I always leave feeling better about myself as a skater. Sometimes she's almost TOO nice, though. Whenever I have trouble on something, she always finds a way to make it sound like *good* thing. For example, on my flying camel, my free leg flies up too high after landing and makes my chest dip, putting me off balance. I attribute it to being a spazz. She says, "I think it's just that you've just become so flexible. . ." Ha ha! Umm, yeah, right. My main coach just makes me laugh: "You're so far in that corner you look like wallpaper!" I adore both of them!

Skate@Delaware
06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I LOVE my coach! She is younger than me but I don't let that bother me as she is such a great teacher. She has the ability to "think outside of the box" in order to find ways for me to get my body cooperating. She also has a way of getting me to really push myself harder and not freaking out when I do something I wouldn't normally do.

She is also very critical about technique and doesn't let me get away with being sloppy-which is a trait I admire. I enjoy working hard because it does pay off. We do have differences and discuss them and sometimes we compromise, sometimes not. But, on the ice she knows what is best and sometimes we laugh so hard we can't skate!

Kim to the Max
06-27-2008, 08:50 PM
I consider myself very lucky to have the coach that I do...we are the same age and so we get along very well that way... She is also able to push me hard and help me to get better...my skating has gotten much better since I started skating with her...we work a lot on technique and we also do a lot of moves...I don't think I have had but 1 or 2 lessons that have been solely freestyle...usually we do moves for 30 and then 15 minutes freestyle or close to that...my coach knows that right now I really want to focus on getting my moves tests completed, but she also knows that landing my axel is one of my other major goals... right now I can't imagine skating with anyone else, unfortunately, I will be job searching at the end of this year and if there isn't anything in this area, I will need to look elsewhere, which will make me bawl because I don't want to leave my club, my friends, and my coach...and I consider my coach one of my friends, and I hate leaving friends...

jazzpants
06-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I think my longevity with both my primary coach (8.5 years now) and secondary coach (almost 4 years now!) speaks VOLUMES about what I think of my coaches! ;) Same with my NYC coach!!! (This Christmas would be our 4th year!!!)

sk8_4fun
06-29-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm always joking about my coach having a white coat under her coaches jacket! She's an absolute star who always manages to pull me up when I get down on myself. I recently did my first proper test and I swear I couldn't have done it if she hadn't been there routing for me. :bow:

Here's to all the fabulous coaches out there- especially the ones who have to deal with neurotic middle aged wannabe skaters:oops:;)