manleywoman
06-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Adult Solo Dance has been added as a 2 year trial event to AN starting
in 2009. The dances have been posted on the USFS site here:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=41600

Start practicing!

Skittl1321
06-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was also Pre-Bronze dance at Adult Nationals (because it's the 2nd level) did that change?

w.w.west
06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was also Pre-Bronze dance at Adult Nationals (because it's the 2nd level) did that change?
There is not a sep. level, but pre-bronze dancers can participate. The requirements for Bronze are to have at least 1 pre-bronze dance.

Clarice
06-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Yay, then I'm qualified! The only problem is that the one pre-bronze dance I know is not the one that has been specified. Guess I have a lot of work to do!

phoenix
06-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Woo hoo, I'm glad they announced them so early!! Guess this means I'd better learn the Viennese......and really brush up the Blues. Thanks for the confirmation!

jskater49
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
So If I can pass my Swing dance...all I'd really have to learn is the Fiesta (and I did get a talking to by my dance coach today about learing those dratted step behinds)

At first I was put off by the Willow Waltz and then I realized that was the finals...so I'd be pretty safe just knowing the Fiesta.

This might be doable!

Now where are the Adult Nationals in 2009?

j

phoenix
06-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Now where are the Adult Nationals in 2009?

j

Grand Rapids, MI

phoenix
06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
At first I was put off by the Willow Waltz and then I realized that was the finals...so I'd be pretty safe just knowing the Fiesta.

j

And my guess would be that everyone would skate both initial round & final....usually in dance competition it's not like the first group gets weeded down for the 2nd round--everyone skates both & you end up w/ an averaged score/placement. So you'd better get that Willow up to speed too!

Anyone else know this for sure?

icedancer2
06-25-2008, 10:34 PM
And my guess would be that everyone would skate both initial round & final....usually in dance competition it's not like the first group gets weeded down for the 2nd round--everyone skates both & you end up w/ an averaged score/placement. So you'd better get that Willow up to speed too!

Anyone else know this for sure?

Well, this seems to be the way it works in the couples competitions - I suppose if the numbers of skaters were a LOT more then we would see eliminations after the first round, but this hasn't happened in the adult competitions. It definitely happens at Junior Nationals.

vesperholly
06-26-2008, 04:29 AM
What are the qualifying tests? I have one Silver dance left and will test that and possibly a Pre-Gold or two before AN09 rolls around. Should I not test the Pre-Golds if I want to compete Silver? (I barely know the Blues and no Gold dances whatsoever.)

jskater49
06-26-2008, 07:14 AM
Grand Rapids, MI

Oh cool. That's not even that far away, compared to New York. Now I have some motivation to learn step behinds!

jskater49
06-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Well, this seems to be the way it works in the couples competitions - I suppose if the numbers of skaters were a LOT more then we would see eliminations after the first round, but this hasn't happened in the adult competitions. It definitely happens at Junior Nationals.

Oh. Well maybe I could learn it well enough to fake it.

Or maybe I could get sick before the final round.

j

jskater49
06-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Since this is adult nationals I assume it counts if you pass a dance either adult or masters standard?

Does it specify that anywhere?

j

RachelSk8er
06-26-2008, 08:01 AM
From what I know:

--Any track test will do...masters, adult or standard. That being said, it will be interesting to see how people testing on different tracks will do compared to others. I'd imagine someone with standard track dances will have stronger solos because they have to test them.

--If groups are large, it will be up to the referee to split them. This will be done either by age or by test level (i.e. people in silver might be split between people who have completed silvers and people who have competed pre-silver...all will still do the same 2 dances). "Pre" levels were not added this year because the committee didn't want to push and ask for too much. Depending on turnout, it might happen next year or down the road. That is why you see one dance at the "pre" level and one at level for each group instead.

--Vesperholly--If you have one pre-gold, you will have to compete gold. So if you'd like to compete silver, I suggest holding off on testing pre-golds.

I'm kind of in the same boat, we'll see what happens between now and January. The Blues is my favorite dance (goes perfectly with my favorite dress...always a bonus), the fisrt pre-gold I was going to work on anyway, and I can see myself passing it in time and I just have to polish up the Vieneese solo. If time runs short (since I am in law school with limited time to skate), I could always take the adult test, get the pass to qualify that way, and go back and re-test standard later. I'm afraid I'd get bored staying silver and therefore not work as hard. I don't really like soloing the silver tango, and I passed the 14 step as a teenager before my 6 yr hiatus from dance...so I'd much rather work on a dance I like, and work toward getting a strong solo on a dance I'll need to test in the future, than take a step back.

What do people think turnout will be? I get the impression some think it won't be good...but I don't see why not. If you do dance and you're going to ANs for another discipline (and aren't hitting your 3 event limit with freestyle and 2 interps or some other competition), why not compete again while you're there, if at the very least for the experience of getting out and performing again? Maybe we'll see less participation in gold compared to bronze/silver, but that all depends on whether or not the couple dancers also decide to compete solo.

icedancer2
06-26-2008, 10:18 AM
--Vesperholly--If you have one pre-gold, you will have to compete gold. So if you'd like to compete silver, I suggest holding off on testing pre-golds.

Is this true? For the couples dance and for solo dance in the past (like at Sectionals) having just one pre-Gold you can skate either Silver or Gold.

I better check that out - at my stage in my dance career I really can't solo any of the dances for Gold, but for Silver I could manage, especially the ones they've picked this year - I think it's the Harris and the 14-step.

sk8er1964
06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
What do people think turnout will be? I get the impression some think it won't be good...but I don't see why not. If you do dance and you're going to ANs for another discipline (and aren't hitting your 3 event limit with freestyle and 2 interps or some other competition), why not compete again while you're there, if at the very least for the experience of getting out and performing again? Maybe we'll see less participation in gold compared to bronze/silver, but that all depends on whether or not the couple dancers also decide to compete solo.

I've never competed dance in my life. Heck, I've barely tested dance. However, I am thinking very seriously about doing it this year at AN (and DBNAI ;) ), because I'm not really fond of interp and this will give me another event besides freestyle.

RachelSk8er
06-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Is this true? For the couples dance and for solo dance in the past (like at Sectionals) having just one pre-Gold you can skate either Silver or Gold.

I better check that out - at my stage in my dance career I really can't solo any of the dances for Gold, but for Silver I could manage, especially the ones they've picked this year - I think it's the Harris and the 14-step.

Yeah that's the cutoff, there are no "either or" because it's solo dance (obviously couples dance has to be more broad so you can get 2 people who can compete at a level together). I think sectionals in the past has had a little more freedom in terms of levels, etc for all the non-qualifying events not offered at Nationals.

Dance levels are always funny...I think at AN in 07, I was elegibile for bronze, pre-silver, silver, maybe pre-gold and actually championship (but not gold) with one silver passed, depending on whether I was the higher tested partner or lower tested partner. This guy at my rink begged me to compete with him until I caved in. He was on like adult bronze moves and bronze dances. And I was taller than him. We were the most mismatched team ever, it was hilarious.

icedancer2
06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Dance levels are always funny...I think at AN in 07, I was elegibile for bronze, pre-silver, silver, maybe pre-gold and actually championship (but not gold) with one silver passed, depending on whether I was the higher tested partner or lower tested partner. This guy at my rink begged me to compete with him until I caved in. He was on like adult bronze moves and bronze dances. And I was taller than him. We were the most mismatched team ever, it was hilarious.

Thanks for the info - yes, I think having one Silver dance gives you the most flexibility.

The whole thing makes me wish I hadn't been so hot to test 18 years ago because now I'm stuck in the rut of not being able to solo the higher dances anymore. At that time I was just like, "Test, Test, Test" and there were no real adult competitions.

phoenix
06-26-2008, 05:08 PM
re. the question of initial & final rounds: this was posted on the ice dancers message board:

"Correct, everyone will skate initial and final round for solo
dance. If there are tons of solo dancers (I certainly hope so)
there may be elimination rounds held - probably not the first year -
but everyone will get to skate at least two dances or it wouldn't be
worthwhile."

Also, someone has posted that the qualification requirements are being reviewed (as far as what test puts you at what level).

coskater64
06-26-2008, 06:39 PM
The requirements are as follows:

Bronze solo dance: must have passed one pre bronze dance no more than 1 pre silver.
Silver solo dance: must have passed one pre silver dance no more than one pre gold.
Gold solo dance: must have passed one pre gold dance no upper cap on this level.

Skaters will skate both the IR and the FR with the IR always being the lower level dance and the FR being the higher level dance. Skaters may enter only one level. If you want check the RFAs on the US figure skating site, this is a trial event so if folks don't enter it will go away.

RachelSk8er
06-27-2008, 09:23 AM
The requirements are as follows:

Bronze solo dance: must have passed one pre bronze dance no more than 1 pre silver.
Silver solo dance: must have passed one pre silver dance no more than one pre gold.
Gold solo dance: must have passed one pre gold dance no upper cap on this level.

Skaters will skate both the IR and the FR with the IR always being the lower level dance and the FR being the higher level dance. Skaters may enter only one level. If you want check the RFAs on the US figure skating site, this is a trial event so if folks don't enter it will go away.

Oh ok I was wrong about the silver/gold cutoff, so sorry! :) So it looks like they did give some overlap so people have more room to choose a higher or lower level, which is nice.

daisies
06-28-2008, 05:41 PM
The test requirements and general entry rules are now posted on that USFS web page.

Hannahclear
06-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I've never tested dance before, but I think this is right:

I have to pass the three preliminary dances.
Then I have to pass just one pre-bronze dance.
Then I can compete in the Bronze level dance.

Is that right? It might be worth a shot. I'm going to test Silver Moves again this August. I have no interest in starting Gold Moves at this time. Perhaps I'll try and do the solo dance option.

phoenix
06-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Is that right?

Yep, that's right.

I would suggest making the Fiesta the 1 pre-bronze you test, since that's one of the competition dances, and then of course you'll have to learn the Willow Waltz, which is a bronze level dance.

vesperholly
06-30-2008, 02:41 PM

Is that right? It might be worth a shot. I'm going to test Silver Moves again this August. I have no interest in starting Gold Moves at this time. Perhaps I'll try and do the solo dance option.
You should do it for sure! The prelim dances are "encouragement" dances, like the pre-pre moves and freestyle tests. Many people take all 3 at the same test session. You don't have to solo them. Also, dance will really help your moves.

Hannahclear
06-30-2008, 03:00 PM
You should do it for sure! The prelim dances are "encouragement" dances, like the pre-pre moves and freestyle tests. Many people take all 3 at the same test session. You don't have to solo them. Also, dance will really help your moves.

Yeah, I've heard that prelim aren't all that hard. And I already have a dance coach as my moves coach. I know he'd be into the idea. If I'm going to go all the way to Grand Rapids, I might as well do two events and I know I can't handle a second choreographed program, so interp is out.

Yay! I'll talk to him tomorrow.

Stormy
06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey, if I can pass the Prelim dances, anyone can! :) I have to admit, I'm thinking of trying Pre-Bronze dances myself to do Bronze dance at ANs. Gold free, Interp and solo dance...why not? :)

Skittl1321
06-30-2008, 03:20 PM
So for us beginning dancers who manage to get through preliminary and one prebronze in time- can we all do the Dutch waltz instead of the Willow, and stare blankly at anyone who wonders why we did the wrong dance?

I'd love to do this- but there is no way I'll have a the ability to do a Bronze dance by then. I'm having a difficult enough time with the preliminary ones!

RachelSk8er
06-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey, if I can pass the Prelim dances, anyone can! :) I have to admit, I'm thinking of trying Pre-Bronze dances myself to do Bronze dance at ANs. Gold free, Interp and solo dance...why not? :)

DO IT!

Come on, I do freestyle. You can do dance.

Now if only they'd let us do similar pairs at ANs...we'd be so sweet.

jskater49
07-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I've heard that prelim aren't all that hard. And I already have a dance coach as my moves coach.
Yay! I'll talk to him tomorrow.

Yea. Well I took my Solo Dutch Waltz 4 times before I passed it. I didn't think it was all that hard either ;)

But then I never heard of anyone else who had such a hard time as I did.

j

jskater49
07-01-2008, 06:29 AM
So for us beginning dancers who manage to get through preliminary and one prebronze in time- can we all do the Dutch waltz instead of the Willow, and stare blankly at anyone who wonders why we did the wrong dance?

I'd love to do this- but there is no way I'll have a the ability to do a Bronze dance by then. I'm having a difficult enough time with the preliminary ones!

I'm game to do the Dutch Waltz to willow waltz music! DD just warned me the Willow is all mohawks and ya all know how I feel about mohawks!

j

jskater49
07-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey, if I can pass the Prelim dances, anyone can! :)

I'm sorry but I believe that line belongs to me. Anybody who took more than 4 tries to pass the Dutch Waltz can take it but until then, it's mine.

j

Mrs Redboots
07-01-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm game to do the Dutch Waltz to willow waltz music! DD just warned me the Willow is all mohawks and ya all know how I feel about mohawks!

j
There is ONE mohawk in it! But you have to hold each edge for 3 beats, which I can't even do with a partner, never mind solo! And a RFO 3-turn which is a bit alarming - perfectly do-able with a partner, but I think I'd put the brakes on if I tried to do it solo.

But the dance has the same actual shape as the Dutch Waltz and in the UK, at any rate, is danced to the European Waltz music, as is the Dutch Waltz. Husband's solo Willow is beautiful - why can't he do it like that when he dances it with me (and no, I don't want to hear the answer!!!!)?

Hannahclear
07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Yea. Well I took my Solo Dutch Waltz 4 times before I passed it. I didn't think it was all that hard either ;)

But then I never heard of anyone else who had such a hard time as I did.

j

I thought that you didn't have to solo it? That's what vesper mentioned early.

I talked about it with my coach today. He's enthusiastic! Thinks it's a good idea.

jskater49
07-01-2008, 04:44 PM
I thought that you didn't have to solo it? That's what vesper mentioned early.

I talked about it with my coach today. He's enthusiastic! Thinks it's a good idea.

You don't have to solo it but there is no one to partner with around here so really the only way to test dance is solo.

I did pass my Dutch waltz with a partner the first time about 10 years ago. Also when I was trying to pass it there was no adult solo ...so I had to pass it standard. Ha now I can take at the Master's standard!

j

vesperholly
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
There are several dance tracks:

Standard - All partnered dances. Solo also required at Silver and up.
Adult - Same passing average, no solos.
Masters - Lower passing average, no solos.
Solo - No partnered dances. I think the passing average is the same as standard.

phoenix
07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
There are several dance tracks:

Standard - All partnered dances. Solo also required at Silver and up.
Adult - Same passing average, no solos.
Masters - Lower passing average, no solos.
Solo - No partnered dances. I think the passing average is the same as standard.

Actually the Adult track has a lower passing average than Standard.

vesperholly
07-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Actually the Adult track has a lower passing average than Standard.
Oops, that's correct. Looks like adult tests are .2 to .3 lower, and Masters .4 to .5 lower. Here's a link to test sheets:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/membernews.asp?id=248&sid=20822