View Full Version : USFS Coach Registration...grrr

dbny
06-25-2008, 01:21 AM
I just applied for this (new requirement), and put 6/30/09 as the expiration for my liability insurance because it is valid until 7/1/09. Immediately got an email saying that the registration process could not be done until I had insurance for the 08-09 season, and that my insurance expired prior to 7/1/09. Well, after reading the fine print on my certificate, I saw that the actual expiration date is 12:01 AM 7/1/09. :roll::x I replied with an explanation and the cert attached. You would think they could code a little more flexibly!

Has anyone else been tripped up by this splitting of hairs?

Clarice
06-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Yeah, it happened to me, too. I had just renewed my PSA membership and insurance, so I emailed US Figure Skating and told them that, and they said that they received insurance updates from PSA daily and not to worry about it. The "green light" list is posted on the USFS site now and is being updated every day, so I'm watching it to make sure that my name turns up. Don't know how long it takes to be processed, though.

dbny
06-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, it happened to me, too. I had just renewed my PSA membership and insurance, so I emailed US Figure Skating and told them that, and they said that they received insurance updates from PSA daily and not to worry about it.

Thanks, it's good to know. My coach somehow missed the box to specify insurance altogether and so was in somewhat the same boat, but I hadn't gotten an update from her.

LWalsh
06-29-2008, 09:58 PM
where is this posted on the US FigureSkating site? I can't seem to find it. I did the same thing with my insurance dates.

LW

dbny
06-29-2008, 10:05 PM
where is this posted on the US FigureSkating site? I can't seem to find it. I did the same thing with my insurance dates.

LW

I found 2008-2009 Registered Coaches (http://www.usfsa.org/content/2008-09%20Registered%20Coaches.pdf) with a search for "coach registration". They have hardly made it easy to find :roll:.

You can also log in to USFS and click the coach registration link for the status of your registration.

Kim to the Max
06-30-2008, 06:58 AM
I found 2008-2009 Registered Coaches (http://www.usfsa.org/content/2008-09%20Registered%20Coaches.pdf) with a search for "coach registration". They have hardly made it easy to find :roll:.

You can also log in to USFS and click the coach registration link for the status of your registration.

Actually, in the mess of stuff on the right hand side of the page there is a red button that says "Coaches Registration Process" right to the left of the add for Worlds...

Skating Jessica
06-30-2008, 09:07 AM
I just now renewed my PSA membership, insurnance (through PSA), and submitted the information for the 08-09 coach registration/background check. Being that they all expired tomorrow (yeah, I know I shouldn't have waited... :roll:), I hope that there's no problems with getting the registration and background check to go through smoothly.

Clarice, just in case...can you provide the e-mail of the USFS individual you e-mailed regarding your PSA insurance and membership updates?

Clarice
06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Clarice, just in case...can you provide the e-mail of the USFS individual you e-mailed regarding your PSA insurance and membership updates?

Sure - I just wrote MemberServices@USFigureSkating.org. Got a response the next day.

Isk8NYC
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I just renewed everything (USFSA/PSA/Insurance/USFSA Coaching) and didn't have a problem. I did take DBNY's suggestion to heart and copied the expiration dates from the original source documents. (Insurance, membership cards, etc.)

Wait until my DH sees the credit card bills.

Club Family Membership (USFSA) ... $190 *This includes my kids' memberships*
PSA .......................................... 50
PSA Insurance ............................ 84
Coaches Reg/Rulebook/Bkgrd Chk.... 40

Total $364 and I haven't renewed the ISI memberships or registered for courses/seminars. Eeek.

People wonder why coaches charge so much money.

sk8lady
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Has anyone registered and found their name on the registration list yet? I did my registration about two weeks ago and it apparently hasn't gone through yet...

Isk8NYC
06-30-2008, 08:58 PM
This morning, the list was dated 6/27. Now, it's dated 6/30 and the file's bigger, so I'll assume they added names. Remember that these are the coaches whose NCSI background check has been completed and given a "Green Light." It's not just a list of registrants, these are the coaches who've been cleared.

I think you should inquire about your status. Two weeks is sufficient time to wait for a response. Good luck.

Skating Jessica
07-01-2008, 02:02 PM

Actually, in the mess of stuff on the right hand side of the page there is a red button that says "Coaches Registration Process" right to the left of the add for Worlds...

Wow, I just now noticed that tiny red button for "Coaches Registration." You were right; they don't make finding it easy! How often do I look there, LOL! :roll:

Logging into "Members Only" is another quick way. There'll be a link under a "Coaches" tab on the left-hand side of the screen. I think this is the fastest/easiest way to get to the registration page.

dbny
07-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Logging into "Members Only" is another quick way. There'll be a link under a "Coaches" tab on the left-hand side of the screen. I think this is the fastest/easiest way to get to the registration page.

Yes, if you are trying to register. But if you want to see the list of green light coaches, you need the following link:

sk8lady
07-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I think you should inquire about your status. Two weeks is sufficient time to wait for a response. Good luck.

Just showed up on the list tonight--do you think they read these message boards???:D

Isk8NYC
07-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Just showed up on the list tonight--do you think they read these message boards???:D
I don't think the USFSA reads anything outside of their own/PSA's online avenues. The Yahoo! Coaches' group used to be visited regularly by the wonderful Laura Fawcett (former USFSA Staffer), but I haven't noticed their presence since she left.

Probably a coincidence. Perhaps they're short-handed due to vacationing staff? That, plus the influx of "last minute Lena's" like me ;) registering at the end of June.

Glad you "made the list."

Imo
07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm another registering late, and now it'll be even later as the background check doesn't accept non-US addresses in the address history section (I moved to Boston from Montreal two years ago). When I called to sort it out I was told they'll have a new form for me to fill out in "two or three weeks", so I guess I'll have to wait... Sigh.

jskater49
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Were any of you called and asked to fax a copy of your driver's license? My daughter was just called by the USFS and asked to do that. SHe didn't realize we don't have the ability to fax so I'm trying to get a hold of USFS to ask if she can mail it...but the fax # they gave is not even the right area code for USFS so I don't know if it was the background check people who called her.

j

dbny
07-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Were any of you called and asked to fax a copy of your driver's license?
j

I wasn't, but you do have to enter your Driver ID on the registration form, so if she made a typo there, that could account for the request for a fax.

BTW, if you have a scanner, you can fax from your PC. You don't even need to have a land line, you can use the internet. LMK if you need more info.

Skating Jessica
07-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Hmm...I hate to sound impatient, but how long did it take for all of you who are officially on the registered coaches list to make the list after submitting your information? I submitted mine 6/30/08 (sooo last minute, LOL!) and nothing yet. Just curious as to if it actually took the full ten days the USFS says it may take to go over the background screening before your name appeared.

dbny
07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Hmm...I hate to sound impatient, but how long did it take for all of you who are officially on the registered coaches list to make the list after submitting your information? I submitted mine 6/30/08 (sooo last minute, LOL!) and nothing yet. Just curious as to if it actually took the full ten days the USFS says it may take to go over the background screening before your name appeared.

I submitted mine right around then too. Judging from the way the list is growing, and how small it was at first, I suspect that the great majority of us did the last minute thing, and that may slow it down.

Isk8NYC
07-08-2008, 05:04 PM
My daughter was just called by the USFS and asked to do that. If she doesn't have a credit history, they might need it to verify identity.

You'd have to pay for the service, but FedEx/Kinkos has a customer fax machine. I thought Mailboxes, Etc. and office supply stores did the same. Our library has a cheap "Send a Fax" machine too.

sk8lady
07-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Hmm...I hate to sound impatient, but how long did it take for all of you who are officially on the registered coaches list to make the list after submitting your information?

I submitted mine during the second week of June and it took a little over two weeks.

dbny
07-12-2008, 01:54 AM
Anyone else notice that the last update of the Registered Coaches list was on 7/8 in the morning? Why aren't they updating daily anymore? Maybe volume is too high or someone is on vacation.

Clarice
07-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Were any of you called and asked to fax a copy of your driver's license? My daughter was just called by the USFS and asked to do that. SHe didn't realize we don't have the ability to fax so I'm trying to get a hold of USFS to ask if she can mail it...but the fax # they gave is not even the right area code for USFS so I don't know if it was the background check people who called her.

j

My daughter finally came through yesterday. She told me things got delayed because they asked her to fax a copy of her driver's license - I didn't even know about it! She just graduated high school, as did jskater's daughter, so I wonder whether this is an age-verification thing for the 18-year-olds? Nobody else I know was asked to do this.

Isk8NYC
07-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Anyone else notice that the last update of the Registered Coaches list was on 7/8 in the morning? Why aren't they updating daily anymore? Maybe volume is too high or someone is on vacation.
I saw TWO lists dated 7/10 yesterday (name and state) but today's single list is dated 7/11.
There's a greyed-out "By State" that has no link. Maybe they're still updating.

The 7/10 lists were HUGE, and they had gone to two-column formatting to reduce the number of pages. Today's name list was reformatted a bit further. Unfortunately, neither of us was on either list.

"Story" Page: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=41529

7/10 Alpha List: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/2008-09%20Registered%20Coaches-alpha.pdf

She told me things got delayed because they asked her to fax a copy of her driver's license - I didn't even know about it! She just graduated high school, as did jskater's daughter, so I wonder whether this is an age-verification thing for the 18-year-olds? Nobody else I know was asked to do this.
That's a good possibility; I had expected part of the check to be done against credit records and a younger person might not have established credit in their name.

dbny
07-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Evidently, they changed the way they are listing, but left the original site out there. Since I had bookmarked it, I wasn't seeing any updates. Not a good site management policy. The old link should have pointed to one of the new ones with a redirect message. Thanks for posting the new links.

Isk8NYC
07-12-2008, 07:43 PM
I had thought the same thing, but found something different when I went in without the bookmark on my other computer. It took me a few minutes to realize that it wasn't a "refresh" problem, but a new page.

They use a "document management" approach to their posts, with everything listed in "articles." The ID# changes everytime they repost.

I decided the USFSA main page (www.usfsa.org (http://www.usfsa.org)) and click on "COACHES REGISTRATION" is the easiest way to get to the newest page.

jskater49
07-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Just how does the USFS plan on monitoring clubs who are holding competitions?

We have the Iowa Games in a couple weeks and I am not inclined to get in fights with coaches over letting them put a student on if they don't have their paperwork.

joelle

Skittl1321
07-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Just how does the USFS plan on monitoring clubs who are holding competitions?

We have the Iowa Games in a couple weeks and I am not inclined to get in fights with coaches over letting them put a student on if they don't have their paperwork.

joelle

Great question. For some reason I thought these rules only apply to qualifying competitions. Are they non-qualifying too? So that would mean a skater can't compete if the form isn't signed by an approved coach? Or could the skater compete without a coach? Just that an "unapproved" person can't put them on the ice?

phoenix
07-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Under my profile section it says it's waiting for proof of insurance. I entered my insurance dates when I filled out the form, not sure what to do now. I emailed them to see if I need to do anything else.

I think that the rule now applies to any sanctioned competition, not just qualifying events.

jenlyon60
07-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Technically, the rule applies to ANY sanctioned event, which also technically means test sessions as well as any event requiring either a performance or competition sanction.

That is what the way I understood the report from GC.

Skittl1321
07-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Technically, the rule applies to ANY sanctioned event, which also technically means test sessions as well as any event requiring either a performance or competition sanction.

That is what the way I understood the report from GC.

Yep, I just checked USFSA and you're right. That means my coach isn't eligible to coach at a test session.

The wording on the USFSA website is this:

You must comply with this registration requirement in order to be allowed to instruct/coach the following sanctioned activities during the 2008-09 skating season:

All qualifying and nonqualifying competitions
Test sessions
All performances including ice shows, exhibitions, recitals and carnivals
Any other sanctioned club activities

though this might not be what is officially in the rulebook.

I'm only a basic skills instructor, so for now I don't have to do this- but I'm really concerned as a skater. Can I participate in test sessions, without my coach, since she can't coach there?

jskater49
07-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Yep, I just checked USFSA and you're right. That means my coach isn't eligible to coach at a test session.

The wording on the USFSA website is this:

though this might not be what is officially in the rulebook.

I'm only a basic skills instructor, so for now I don't have to do this- but I've really concerned as a skater. Can I participate in test sessions, without my coach, since she can't coach there?

You don't need to have a coach there but you need to have a registered coach sign your test application.

jskater49
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
So according to Lola at the USFS membership services...they are leaving it to the club's discretion as to how to handle coach's registration for our competitions.

I think the way we will handle it at Iowa Games is to not handle it.

But for our fall competition we will require their registration form be signed by a registered coach.

j

jenlyon60
07-14-2008, 12:27 PM
For anything (other than qualifying comps that generally enforce the stricter credentialling requirements), at this point in time, with the Coaches Registration just being rolled out, any coach could say "well, I submitted my information, it's "in the works""

Thus, it seems to me that unless an LOC has reason to suspect otherwise, they have to sort of play the trust card and take the coach's word at faith.

Next year or so, after the coach's registration has been around awhile, and the list is hopefully not growing by leaps and bounds every day, things may be different.

jskater49
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
For anything (other than qualifying comps that generally enforce the stricter credentialling requirements), at this point in time, with the Coaches Registration just being rolled out, any coach could say "well, I submitted my information, it's "in the works""

Thus, it seems to me that unless an LOC has reason to suspect otherwise, they have to sort of play the trust card and take the coach's word at faith.

Next year or so, after the coach's registration has been around awhile, and the list is hopefully not growing by leaps and bounds every day, things may be different.

I was thinking about my own daughter who just mailed her driver's license (thanks dbny but the fax thing didn't work) last week and may not even get checked out by next week and she has kids to put on and kids who are testing.

j

Skating Jessica
07-15-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm sure that your daughter will be fine to put her skaters out for the test session, especially since her registration and background check is already in the process of being approved. Perhaps she can print out the confirmation e-mails sent out by the USFS and the background screening organization, the NCSI, for proof that she has a pending registration. Aside from what she's already done, there's nothing left to do but wait.

If you're still concerned, talk to your club or rink's skating director and explain the situation to him/her. Like jenlyon60 said, this registration process is still fairly new and I'm sure there are lots of last minute registrations (myself included) that still need to be processed.

On another note, I'm finally on the list! My name appeared yesterday morning. I registered on 6/30 as one of the many last minute coaches, so I'd say I waited about the estimated two weeks that the USFS predicted. I'm sure many of you who also registered around that time will be showing up soon as well.

jskater49
07-16-2008, 05:32 AM
I'm sure that your daughter will be fine to put her skaters out for the test session, especially since her registration and background check is already in the process of being approved. Perhaps she can print out the confirmation e-mails sent out by the USFS and the background screening organization, the NCSI, for proof that she has a pending registration. Aside from what she's already done, there's nothing left to do but wait.

If you're still concerned, talk to your club or rink's skating director and explain the situation to him/her. Like jenlyon60 said, this registration process is still fairly new and I'm sure there are lots of last minute registrations (myself included) that still need to be processed.

On another note, I'm finally on the list! My name appeared yesterday morning. I registered on 6/30 as one of the many last minute coaches, so I'd say I waited about the estimated two weeks that the USFS predicted. I'm sure many of you who also registered around that time will be showing up soon as well.

Hi Jessica:

Being that I'm the test chair....I'm not too worried about it ;)

j

Isk8NYC
07-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I received my PSA card in the mail today and my name was on the all-clear list.

dbny
07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I received my PSA card in the mail today and my name was on the all-clear list.

I got my card last week, but my name is still not on the list. Time for an email, I guess. Not so easy since I'm away camping now.

jazzpants
07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I got my card last week, but my name is still not on the list. Time for an email, I guess. Not so easy since I'm away camping now.
My secondary coach is not on the list either. I'll ask her if she has her card yet when I have my lesson. :P

Enjoy your trip, dbny!! :)

dbny
07-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Evidently, when I did the NCIS background check, I never got a confirmation. That's what happens when I do things in the wee hours. Just walked away and thought I was done. Had to re-do it twice, because it hung on confirmation again, but now have that pesky conf number and just have to wait the 10 days or so. Did it all on 6/24 :roll::frus:.

jskater49
07-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Well DD finally made it on the list! Glad to hear she doesn't have a police record!

jazzpants
08-18-2008, 12:19 PM
My secondary coach said for me to tell everyone that she's finally on the list! :P :lol: My choreographer and Moves Guru is on there too. (My NYC coach and primary coach made it on the list early...) Guess it took longer for a lot of coaches.

Glad to hear none of my coaches have any legal drama. Of course, I personally would be QUITE shocked if ANY of them didn't pass the background check, given what I know of them. (Meh... just not in their character...)

Well DD finally made it on the list! Glad to hear she doesn't have a police record!Yeah, then she's got some 'splaining to do... :twisted: :P :lol: