View Full Version : What is your fav. part of competition?

FSWer
06-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Say,what is everyone's fav. part of competition here?

Mrs Redboots
06-25-2008, 06:28 AM
When it's over!

Or perhaps when you are meeting up with friends you haven't seen for a year or more.

BatikatII
06-25-2008, 07:06 AM
I second Mrs Redboot answer. It's so great when you have done your programme. I dont' mind so much where I come then as there is nothing I can do about it and all the worry about it is over.

And it's always good to meet up with friends.

Skating Jessica
06-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Knowing that you skated your best and gave it your all. Being rewarded for that doesn't hurt either, LOL! ;)

looplover
06-25-2008, 08:51 AM
When it's over!

Exactly! :mrgreen:

NickiT
06-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Definitely when I've skated! And even better if I've had a decent skate!

Nicki

Mel On Ice
06-25-2008, 09:28 AM
I love skating, I love seeing friends, and I love getting a medal if I skated well.

Of those, I'd rank it:
friends
skating
medal

I hate the anticipating beforehand.

Clarice
06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
I hate the anticipating beforehand.

Agreed! That's when I pace around, muttering "Why do I do this to myself?" I always feel great when I'm done, though - even if I didn't skate so well, I proved something to myself by going out and doing it.

Rusty Blades
06-25-2008, 07:24 PM
The absolute BEST is when you strike your final pose, the music ends, and you take your bow to the judges and wave to the crowd - that feeling that you actually DID IT (even if it didn't go as well as you hoped). It took me 57 years to get to that point so I savor it! LOL!

SkaterBird
06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Meeting some of the most fantastic people around! In Ann Arbor, at Adult Mids, my daughter and I got to meet Mel on Ice, whose Beer Barrel Polka had my daughter actually singing that song on the trip back home! As some of you know, my daughter has a significant speech/language disorder, so anything that has her voluntarily singing is a huge big deal!!! And we got to meet Dr. Larry (AdultPairSkater), who took all kinds of time to notice and play with her for a while. She and I are now his and Lauran's fans forever and ever. Same with Marie Sherry, Cindy Crouse, Valerie Knoelk (the exquisite skater who competed with me on one event and skated beautifully!!!), Chris Williams, Keith Newcomb, Ben Bagocius and too many others to list. Figure skating is a marvelous sport by any definition, but the participants in adult skating are kind, enormously supportive and easily the MOST marvelous part of the sport!!! You are each a hero to me!!!

Mimi

FSWer
06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Meeting some of the most fantastic people around! In Ann Arbor, at Adult Mids, my daughter and I got to meet Mel on Ice, whose Beer Barrel Polka had my daughter actually singing that song on the trip back home! As some of you know, my daughter has a significant speech/language disorder, so anything that has her voluntarily singing is a huge big deal!!! And we got to meet Dr. Larry (AdultPairSkater), who took all kinds of time to notice and play with her for a while. She and I are now his and Lauran's fans forever and ever. Same with Marie Sherry, Cindy Crouse, Valerie Knoelk (the exquisite skater who competed with me on one event and skated beautifully!!!), Chris Williams, Keith Newcomb, Ben Bagocius and too many others to list. Figure skating is a marvelous sport by any definition, but the participants in adult skating are kind, enormously supportive and easily the MOST marvelous part of the sport!!! You are each a hero to me!!!

Mimi

You and your daughter actually met Mel in competition Mimi? Please tell us about that. Anyone else have a fav. part of competition?

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I second Mrs Redboot answer. It's so great when you have done your programme. I dont' mind so much where I come then as there is nothing I can do about it and all the worry about it is over.

And it's always good to meet up with friends.
You skated really well today, I thought!

BatikatII
06-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Mrs Redboots. After today maybe I'd say one of the best parts is achieving what you set out to do and today my aim was to look more relaxed even if I didn't feel it. Must have worked as several people commented without me mentioning it!:D

The vagaries of judging are such that I think it's rare that you place where you feel you realistically deserved - like today I think only one of the 3 judges had it right (the one that had me third!)lol: but I actually came 5th because the middle judge marked rather erratically compared to the other two which caused some place flipping. Still I'm pleased with how I skated (apart from needing to hold my landings for longer) because I achieved my aim. I was even able to watch the video without cringing!:D

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2008, 02:07 PM
I was even able to watch the video without cringing!:D
Which is undoubtedly more than I'll be able to say when I see ours! All the same, you skated well today, too, and I don't think that we, realistically, can say that we did. I know I didn't finish my edges off properly in the Dutch Waltz, and our Riverside was a little under-prepared, although I was pleased with how we skated it. And I was pleased with our free dance, even if nobody else was....

BatikatII
06-28-2008, 07:44 AM
You looked good in your free dance - the spin went well and your costumes looked great on the ice!

SkaterBird
06-28-2008, 11:24 AM
You and your daughter actually met Mel in competition Mimi? Please tell us about that. Anyone else have a fav. part of competition?

Mel is a neat person - she and Cindy Crouse were both very friendly and encouraging toward the uber-newbie (me), which was nice as I was scared out of my mind before I went out there. At Mids she skated to a Spanish-themed piece which was "faster" music than most of the other skaters at her level, if I recall, and she skated well to it. She really does look like she is having a great time out there, so she is a lot of fun to watch in her freestyle as well as her comedic routine.

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2008, 12:01 PM
You looked good in your free dance - the spin went well and your costumes looked great on the ice!Thanks! I will pass that comment on to the skater who made our costumes (well, she didn't make the T-shirts, but she made my shirt and blinged us both up!); she will appreciate it. I just want to know why the judges all preferred the other couple's programme so we can amend ours as necessary!

TimDavidSkate
06-29-2008, 08:55 AM
The last hour of competition

~ Warmup

:P