View Full Version : Roll call: Adult Training Camp in NJ

sexyskates
06-24-2008, 08:43 PM
OK, who is going to be attending this year's Adult Training Camp in NJ this weekend!

stacyf419
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm there! Competitive freestyle.

patatty
06-25-2008, 05:41 AM
I'll be there too - also competitive freestyle.

Terri C
06-30-2008, 05:11 AM
Any reports??

patatty
06-30-2008, 06:17 AM
It was so much fun, but brutal! I think every muscle in my body is sore! I had never been to the camp before, and it exceeded my expectations. The staff was great and really helpful. I picked up some great tips on brackets and the lutz, which really made a difference. The edge and power classes were great too, because I don't work on that stuff enough. It was so nice to meet other adult skaters and share our experiences. I'm looking forward to going back next year, although I think I'll have to start resting up for it already!

stacyf419
07-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I took away a number of helpful points. Nikolai Morozov fixed my toe loop - I wasn't even aware of what I was doing with my right arm but he watched me jump several times and then told me how to fix it. He even touched my arm, which given how unattractive he is was very unpleasant. (You all know I'm kidding, right?)
Craig Maurizi was also incredibly helpful, particularly in exercises for the flip.
And a new coach, Stanislav Dontknowhislastname, was just great.
I also enjoyed the off-ice classes - jumps with Silvia and John were very helpful - as well as the 'movement' class on the ice with some wonderful sweet ice dancers.
All in all, a bit more challenging than last year and also more helpful. As always, skating with and meeting adult skaters was the best. Met some new friends and reconnected with old.
And Mr. Moves Guru - I bow before thee!!!

doubletoe
07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I took away a number of helpful points. Nikolai Morozov fixed my toe loop - I wasn't even aware of what I was doing with my right arm but he watched me jump several times and then told me how to fix it.

Yep, I got a great toeloop arm tip from him last year, too. I am a CCW skater and he told me to "open the door" towards myself with my left arm as I pick and pull back on the takeoff edge. Ingenious! (no touching, though, LOL!)
I recall Stanislav (whose last name is also Morozov) being a great toeloop teacher, too! And great miming to make up for his limited English!

stacyf419
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Yes, Nikolai used the 'open the door' with us too!! It definitely helped. At practice tonight my toe loop felt nice & light.
Stanislav was a pip because he would mime a lot and then say, 'Now go do'. So we did!

looplover
07-02-2008, 05:48 AM
Every year I say I'm going. OK next year I am going!!!!

I really should have gone, since I want to go to AN.

doubletoe
07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Yes, Nikolai used the 'open the door' with us too!! It definitely helped. At practice tonight my toe loop felt nice & light.
Stanislav was a pip because he would mime a lot and then say, 'Now go do'. So we did!

Stanislav was so cute! I miss him, LOL!
BTW, it seems like everyone who does this camp comes home with a better toeloop takeoff, so there's a reason for people to go next year if they're thinking about it. :)

sexyskates
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I loved the camp!
It was well organized and the classes were interesting and fun. I picked up quite a few good tips! It was a really full curriculum - my muscles were incredibly sore after the first day. But it was a good kind of sore from working hard. I was glad that the intense off ice jumping did not bother my knees or back. But wow, were my gluts sore - I could barely get into a cross over or jump! This morning however, I woke up fully recovered and was back to bending down into sitspins and pivoting into those toeloops. It's fun to have a bunch of new information to use in practice.

Skate@Delaware
07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Every year I say I'm going. OK next year I am going!!!!

I really should have gone, since I want to go to AN.
I never seem to be "ready" to go anywhere....this past year I was injured.

IF things to my way (hehehe) then I will go next year!!!

I don't live far away but I'm getting a hotel room (no way am I doing a 2 hr commute).

Maybe I'll be a pre-bronze girl by then, and my toe-loop could ALWAYS use help!!!:giveup: