View Full Version : Ow -- the joy and pain of new skates! Need help breaking 'em in

Mel On Ice
06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
First, a hooray for Mr. Edge, who delivered my new, gleaming white skates to me yesterday.

He and his partner took time to make sure most every point in the boot was comfortable enough for getting around. They fit me perfectly.

Then I tried skating in them.

Mind you, I probably skated 2 years past thier prime in my last pair of skates, since I am now not used to skating on a blade with an actual rocker. Oh, and the pain of leather that while I was sitting down felt soft and supple, but while in use, felt like rock hard cement.

I'm not too anxious, yet, about breaking them in, but am concerned at how uncomfortable I am out on the ice in these new skates. I was working on axels and double sals on Saturday (not anywhere near landing either of them, mind you), and yesterday I managed the most feeble waltz jump and toe loop since 2001. I managed a little scream doing a one foot spin, because, well, nothing felt right. I was scared to try a sit spin. Mr. Edge, John Harmata seemed pleased by this, saying "doesn't take as much effort now, does it?" That is hard to say...

I walked around the house in the boots for an hour to get used to them (my right heel fell asleep) and am planning on going to freestyle to do some stroking, crossovers and adult pre-bronze moves to break them in. Tomorrow, maybe bronze! I fear I may be a week or two or three out from resuming silver.

Any recommendations to getting these boots to the point I can resume skating normally?

Also, this is a cautionary tale. Don't let your skates or blades get too old.

TiggerTooSkates
06-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Oh, I have no advice:oops:...just wanted to let you know you're not alone;)...I have spanky new Gold Stars and my heels are also numb when I get off the ice. The right one probably needs punching, but I'm a little apprehensive b/c I don't want the skate to end up too big! I'll probably end up taking them this weekend to be baked first.

I too am watching these replies with interest...

sk8er1964
06-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Sorry you are in pain, Mel. I let my last blades get too dull, and there was a bit of an adjustment time - you should be fine with them soon.

Can't help on the boots, though. I've never had any break in trouble with my brand - but I do remember the pain of breaking in my Reidells when I was a kid and it is not fun.

icedancer2
06-24-2008, 01:23 PM
YOu just have to keep skating in them - stroking and doing edges and little things until they get comfortable.

I remember when I broke in my new boots now over 3 years ago - I felt like I had these big cement blocks on my feet that wouldn't move AT ALL. My old boots were 15 years old - blades were newer but still... going from all-soft and comfy (with no support) to new boots is hard!!

momsk8er
06-24-2008, 01:23 PM
My sympathy. I just went through this, and I can tell you that it is a pain, but it will get better in a couple of week.

sk8tmum
06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
:Oh, I have no advice:oops:...just wanted to let you know you're not alone;)...I have spanky new Gold Stars and my heels are also numb when I get off the ice. The right one probably needs punching, but I'm a little apprehensive b/c I don't want the skate to end up too big! I'll probably end up taking them this weekend to be baked first.

I too am watching these replies with interest...

DD got her new GoldStars, and cursed them bitterly and violently for 2 weeks, and called down the wrath of God on the skatefitter. Now she is most apologetic. The fitter warned her that, due to the way the padding was built, they needed to fit TIGHT for the breakin period, otherwise, she'd end up in a pair of sloppy oversize skates. He was right. Another skater who bought them "comfortable" is now having a problem as they are too big and sloppy. DDs are perfect. :D

Hers were heatmoulded though, and the guy who fits them is excellent, and knows every little bump and oddity of her feet,and ordered in the not-quite-stock split width to accomodate them.

doubletoe
06-24-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm assuming you are leaving at least one hook undone at the top? That should allow you to get enough ankle bend, which will help break the boots in (as well as helping you skate a little more normally). Having said that, it will probably still be a few sessions before you will have enough ankle bend for a sitspin. Meanwhile, thank heaven for those ankle sleeves and gel disks!

Query
06-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Applying boot oil (Lexol, or Neat's foot oil, though the latter discolors the leather it touches) inside and out lubricates the leather, so layers move against each other, making it somewhat more flexible. Oiling also extends the lifetime of boots.

There are other ways to break in a boot faster - but they all reduce the lifetime.

1. In the days of leather hockey boots, pro players wore them into the hot tub. The boots only lasted a few months (the boot companies supplied them with free boots.), but they broke in an hour or two.

2. Heat up the inside and outside of the boot with a hair dryer, and lace your foot in it very tight until it cools. This will heat mold the boot to your foot - not as much as an oven, because it probably won't get quite as hot. Repeat several times. The leather gradually softens. This worked after 1500-2000 hours of mostly low level dance didn't soften my Klingbeils.

If a major purpose of a new freestyle boot is to provide adequate support, you don't want to do this to your new freestyle boots - unless nothing else works.

I am now not used to skating on a blade with an actual rocker.

If you haven't worn out so much metal there is no space left, any competent sharpener could return the rocker. They just have to reproduce the profile of a similar new blade.

Oh, and the pain of leather that while I was sitting down felt soft and supple, but while in use, felt like rock hard cement.

If the lining has gone bad, it can be replaced. If the foam or other materials between the leather layers has collapsed, it can too. A competent boot person could deal with this at reasonable cost (probably including the manufacturer - Klingbeil once replaced mine). Would be worth doing, so you have a second usable pair?

Kim to the Max
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Mel, I feel your pain! I just broke in my new boots...it took me about 2 weeks or so to get comfortable in them, now they fit like a glove! I just laced the last hole and still only do 3 of the hooks, but they are wonderful!! :) Your's will get there...do a few sessions of crossovers, stroking, the cross strokes from the silver moves...I did a bunch of moves from levels under novice (the evil power 3s from intermediate, 8-step mohawk from juvenile, 5-step mohawk from pre-juvenile, cross strokes from juvenile, back double 3s from intermediate, and forward double 3s from juvenile)...and lots and lots of crossovers!!

Skating Jessica
06-24-2008, 07:41 PM
...do a few sessions of crossovers, stroking, the cross strokes from the silver moves...I did a bunch of moves from levels under novice (the evil power 3s from intermediate, 8-step mohawk from juvenile, 5-step mohawk from pre-juvenile, cross strokes from juvenile, back double 3s from intermediate, and forward double 3s from juvenile)...and lots and lots of crossovers!!

I agree. Add to those suggestions powerpulls and slaloms, and shoot-the-ducks...anything to get your knees and ankles bending. Still, nothing beats just getting out there and skating in them!

Zac911
06-24-2008, 07:54 PM
:

DD got her new GoldStars, and cursed them bitterly and violently for 2 weeks, and called down the wrath of God on the skatefitter. Now she is most apologetic. The fitter warned her that, due to the way the padding was built, they needed to fit TIGHT for the breakin period, otherwise, she'd end up in a pair of sloppy oversize skates. He was right. Another skater who bought them "comfortable" is now having a problem as they are too big and sloppy. DDs are perfect. :D

Hers were heatmoulded though, and the guy who fits them is excellent, and knows every little bump and oddity of her feet,and ordered in the not-quite-stock split width to accomodate them.

this is the part of fitting that is so tough to get the customer to understand. the person being fitted needs to remember that the person fitting the boot has done this thousands of times and knows boots ( as the saying goes, " this ain't my first rodeo! ". hopefully the new LS will help with this age old problem.

Mel On Ice
06-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I skated for two hours today. That is kind of misleading, I skated 15 on, 15 off. I started with stroking, knee bends, then I ran through the adult pre-bronze moves. Took 'em off, came back out and did bronze moves. Took 'em off, started back on with pre-bronze, then tried some spins.

I'm getting around the ice better, I started gaining some speed on crossovers, but because of the stiffness of the new boots, I was skidding which bothers me since the whole idea of new skates was to also gain control of those edges.

I'm going to try arena ice tomorrow and see if I can do a sample of pre-bronze, bronze and maybe a silver move.

Virtualsk8r
06-24-2008, 08:45 PM
;) That's why coaches love duct tape and shoe repair shops! Duct tape works wonders to provide support and a new tongue with laces will also provide an old coach with new life to their antique skates!!!

Last time I ordered custom-made skates - I gave them to one of my students to break in!!!!

TiggerTooSkates
06-24-2008, 08:51 PM
:

This is music to my ears - I was fitted, and I have the right size - but there's still that nagging feeling they're too small...

So I'll leave them - and bear it - and maybe get them baked - but I'll definitely NOT get them punched.

Sessy
06-25-2008, 04:10 AM
Try bunga pads and uhm, do lots of sits in your skates off-ice (like if you were doing a 2-foot shoot the duck)

Mel On Ice
06-25-2008, 09:26 AM
If you haven't worn out so much metal there is no space left, any competent sharpener could return the rocker. They just have to reproduce the profile of a similar new blade.

If the lining has gone bad, it can be replaced. If the foam or other materials between the leather layers has collapsed, it can too. A competent boot person could deal with this at reasonable cost (probably including the manufacturer - Klingbeil once replaced mine). Would be worth doing, so you have a second usable pair?

There is indeed NO rocker, no metal left on my old pair, they are now exclusively for use on outdoor rinks and recreational use only.

The old boots, soft and as comfortable as slippers, were rotting from the inside out, and I was getting major heel slippage on jumps.

It was time.

daisies
06-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Also, this is a cautionary tale. Don't let your skates or blades get too old.
Oh Mel, truer words were never spoken! I too am going through the pain of new boots and blades. My old boots and blades, Harlick Competitor Plus and Gold Star, were seven years old. Yes, you read that right. Seven. I even just competed at O'dorf and MC in them. I lurrrrrved them!

Alas, late last year I noticed they were really breaking down, so I ordered custom Klingbeils and new Gold Stars, but they came in too late for me to start breaking them in before AN, so I waited till summer. Well, now summer's here, and .... OUCH!!!

But mine is another story. I actually hate mine and will probably go back to the drawing board with Harlick Competitor Plus again. Surprisingly, my old blade still has a lot of temper left on it ... actually, that's not surprising considering I get my blades sharpened only two or three times a year. The only reason I got new ones for the Klingbeils is that the new boot was too long for the old blade. But there is still a huge difference in rocker on the new blades vs. the old.

I LOL'd when I read of your feeble waltz jump and toe loop attempts ... same here! It's quite a confidence killer when you go from skating great in Europe to not being able to do a salchow at home!!!

Mel On Ice
06-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I hear ya daisies.

Today I did more stroking, crossovers in the figure 8 forward and backward. I managed a stronger 1 foot spin with my free leg crossed over the skating leg. I also screamed in the middle of it, scaring children.

I did a waltz jump (small), toe loop (toed over), salchow (swingy), loop (tiny), and a flip -- not bad!

Grand Rapids Open is this weekend, so I tried walking around the rink in my skates for a half hour. Actually, I was trying for longer, but by 6pm, I was told to take them off, I was scaring people with the winces, grimaces, and "urghs"!

I used bungas at the points where boot met tongue and rubbed skin on both legs. I slipped a bunga into my right arch and that lasted less than 5 minutes. My arches are tired, but I do not feel the residual ache all over my feet, although the parts of my feet that hurt the most while I was skating was the outside of my feet up near the pinkie toe, so I may ask that it get punched a little for more room.

I may do a quick soak of the feet before I go to bed. They hurt enough that it kept me up last night.