View Full Version : Low Cut Backs on Boots Question

Zoomana
06-21-2008, 05:57 PM
I am in the process of lining up my options for custom boots. I am pretty sure I am going with the SP-Teri customs, based on my feet and the SP Teri toe box style (round rather than pointed). I have been speaking with someone at the company, and a low cut back was recommended. I'm a little leary of this, however, since I'm currently skating in Reidells with high backs (HLS 1500). Has anyone switched from a higher back to a low cut back? What is the advantage besides flexibility and better knee bend? I'm afraid I will feel like I have no support when doing freestyle (I'm sure it will help my dance, and my dance sure needs help!).

I'm an adult freestyle skater with all my single jumps except Axel (rotated mostly/1/4 cheated, not yet landed) who dabbles in dance as well (hubby wanted to do it, and I said sure!). I land my jumps VERY hard and need a stiff boot because of that (I'm not heavy, I'm a 5'8/135 lb. woman, but for some reason I land like a ton o' bricks).

After years of skating in one boot that's a quarter size too big, I'm ready for a change and hoping for the best. I'm pretty sure of what I want except this one issue and would like to know the pros/cons!

Query
06-21-2008, 07:49 PM
I land my jumps VERY hard

If your coach is any good, I bet he/she can fix it. If not, another could, as could a good land-dance teacher.

In the long run jumping and landing lightly is much easier on the joints, so it is worth it.

As near as I can figure, you land "light" (meaning no one joint, bone or muscle takes much impact) if you absorb the impact throughout your body. As you land, let your foot flatten against a slight muscle resistance. Let your knee, hip and whole spine (all the way up to your neck) un-straighten against a slight muscle resistance. (BTW in normal spine contraction, your lower back and neck bend forwards, your middle back bends back. It should start fairly extended, so there is room to contract.) Otherwise be as relaxed as you can, so everything flows freely.

One good sign is that jumping and landing is almost silent.

Think of it like walking and running, flat and up and down stairs, barefoot, silently. You move in a similar way, letting impacts be absorbed everywhere, instead of transfering a shock to the floor or steps. Then practice jumping, still barefoot, silently.

BTW, a lot of people actually shock their body as much jumping as landing, they just don't realize it. Physics says the forces are about equal. Again, the idea is to spread everything throughout your body. For instance, can you get some upwards momentum by swinging your free leg and knee forwards and up instead of just pushing hard with your standing knee, then reversing that on the way down, to absorb some of the momentum? If you watch the Olympics on TV, most of the better skaters do that.

I learned to move lightly after I broke a leg skating. Spent a lot of time trying to learn not to hurt myself. Started by learning to walk and run without discernable impact. Now I can run on any surface and still be low impact. It's almost painful for me to watch people running while bouncing up and down like I used to do. I'm sure they are hurting themselves, and it wastes energy. (Safe falling should be almost silent too.)

I think I've got the light jumping and landing down pretty good on the land. But on the ice, a lot of things break down. Like I can't force my free leg or knee to swing up and forwards on the ice - no idea why. I think it's typical of adult learners, but that doesn't excuse anything. And I can't go beyond one rotation even on land. Then again, haven't spent a lot of time working with jumps with my current coach. Dance seems more attainable.

ibreakhearts66
06-22-2008, 01:51 AM
I switched from stock Harlicks to customs with a low-cut back and loved it. I didn't feel like I was lacking support or anything like that. Its actually a feature I miss in my new skates (I didn't get a dance back on my current ones). Just so you know, its not that its a low cut back and nothing else. Where the boot would normally be is a more flexible material.

It helped with toe pointing, of course, but also helped a TON on spread eagles.

I would say, go for it.

doubletoe
06-22-2008, 12:13 PM
I got SP Teri customs based on the KT-2 and I like them a lot. They have every bit as much ankle support as the higher rise boots, but the tops of the boots don't dig into my lower legs anymore and I can bend and point better.

Zoomana
06-23-2008, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=ibreakhearts66;369116]Where the boot would normally be is a more flexible material.

It helped with toe pointing, of course, but also helped a TON on spread eagles.

[QUOTE]

My spread eagles could use help. Thanks for explaining re: the flexible material/vs. no material, I didn't realize that.

As to my heavy jump landings, Query, I have had two freestyle coaches work with me and a dance coach who has helped me with freestyle just for fun, and they all hate it, try to correct it and I do land light sometimes, it's just an adult skater bad habit! When you start at 28, some bad habits die hard....

icedancer2
06-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for explaining re: the flexible material/vs. no material, I didn't realize that.

You might want to check that out - on my SP Teri Dance boots there is no "back-stay" (I think this is the name of that flexible material at the back of the low-cut boots). The back is lower than the front, but when I measured mine the back was EXACTLY the same length (depth?) of my old boots, circa 1990 - but the FRONTS were taller, which gave the illusion of a lower back... maybe they are different now...

Anyway, I don't do freestyle so I can't comment on whether they would be stable, but I do find that my boots feel more stable if I wear those little ankle sleeves - could just be psychological though.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out!
Lisa

flo
06-24-2008, 05:49 PM
I switched from high custom harlicks to Jackson dance boots. I have the lower cut boot, and the elastic back. I also have the dance scallops, which I usually get in my boots. I like the lower boot. The elastic back took a little getting use to, like skating against a rubber band! I like the new boots and the ease of deep edges and toe points. As they are the same stiffness as my former fs boots, it's not a problem. Jumps are fine and I'm working on doubles.

Zac911
06-24-2008, 06:00 PM
have you considered the new Riedell LS 2010? it has a cork heel to help with those tough landings ( just like the 1500 HLS ) and i am sure you will notice the difference of not having that cork there to absorb the shock of a hard landing. not only with the 2010 help you point and bend your knee better ( the ability to bend your knee better will also help with landing shock as your legs will be able to act as a shock absorber like they were intended ). they will fit your foot extremely fast via the H.A.R. package and give you PLENTY of lateral support.

Zac