View Full Version : New boots/blades

sk8tegirl06
06-20-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm finally to the point of needing new boots and possibly blades. I skate in Risport, so I'm definitely going up to RF3 Super boots. But I guess my question is whether to upgrade my blades at the same time? Is it difficult to get used to 2 changes at the same time? I have considered Ultima Legacy blades. I'm looking for something to last a long time. I am currently working on making my loop and flip consistent. I'm an older beginner (20) so I need something supportive. Since I'm older, my coaches are kind of letting me take the lead on the blade issue. Thanks!

techskater
06-20-2008, 08:19 PM
A new blade (not sharpened) that's the same as the old skates will feel totally different anyway, so bite the bullet and get used to both at the same time. Just my $0.02

Thin-Ice
06-23-2008, 03:06 AM
I'd agree with techskater.. especially since you probably won't be buying a new blade with HUGE toepicks.

A few years ago, I went up two boot strengths (which turned out to be too much boot for me) and changed from MK Pros to Gold Star blades.. I competed in the new boots at AN about 3 weeks later and it was fine. I was skating about 6 hours a week at that point... which helped the boot break-in and the getting used to the new blades. My "hardest part" getting used to the blades was finding the "sweet spot" for spins... so I took an extra lesson that week, so my coach could help me get everything in the correct position.

Good luck!

Sessy
06-23-2008, 03:43 AM
I changed blades and boots separately. First, when I had my lutz the Mk21 to Coronation ace (HUGE change, caused me to break my ankle actually when I got stuck in the ice with the big toepicks). Half a year later I changed risport etoile boots to graf edmonton special (no change, other than the break-in period of like 2 weeks, except positive changes - huge spin and edge improvement). You'd think the boots would make the big difference, especially with the difference in hardness (like bottom of the line to top of the line, with 2 different brands too!) but apparently not... I'd say go ahead and change both at a time if you can afford the cost.

BTW not sure what you're skating on right now (here, under rf3 they all come pre-mounted with mk21 or coronation aces) but for me, starting to skate at 20 changing blades at 21 weighing 60 kilograms, coronation aces are more than enough, girls my size and age do doubles on them. Actually MK21 would've lasted till axel or so too, had they been properly mounted (they weren't in my case).
I also noticed coronation ace needs less sharpenings than mk21 to stay sharp. Despite the unpleasantness of the change, I really like my current blades.

sk8tegirl06
06-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the opinions everybody. I may just take the plunge and do both boots/blades now, once I work out the finances. I definitely could use new blades, my spins and edge work need major help. Sessy, currently I am on Risport Laser with MK 2000 blades (I think). I have had these forever. Since I haven't really had problems with them (and my coach is Russian) I didn't want to venture outside of Risport. At the same time, I want something that will last quite awhile, through doubles perhaps. ;)

RachelSk8er
06-23-2008, 08:02 AM
I always got new blades with new boots when I was younger because I usually needed both replaced about every year or year and a half (and my parents were paying for it), and it wasn't worth putting blades that didn't have much life on new boots only to have to take them off and plug holes and re-mount new ones in a few months.

Now it really depends on what needs replaced. My last pair of new boots and blades together was 2004. Since for part of that time I had just been coaching, in 2007 season I needed new blades, boots could have been replaced, but still had enough life to squeak through another 6-8 months. Since I didn't have the money for both, I just replaced the blades. 2008 season the boots bit the dust, blades were still fine, so I got new boots.

On the plus side, I wear Ultima Synchro blades since I do both dance and free and don't like switching boots (and would probably kill myself at this point if I tired skating on freestyle blades, I've been on synchro blades so long). They only cost $130. Over the years I've worn much more expensive blades (Super Dance 99s, had a pair of MK Gold Stars last time I wore actual freestyle blades), and these seem to be the best for me.