View Full Version : Rinks in Toronto?

Bunny Hop
06-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Hello Canadian skaters (or at least those in a very specific part of Ontario!).

My husband and I are going on holiday to Toronto in mid-August, and at least one of us will be taking along their skates, in order to fit in some skating whilst we're there (at the moment, I think I'd just prefer a break, but my other half definitely doesn't want to be off the ice for too long!).

Anyway, the point is that we're looking for rinks in Toronto, preferably accessible by public transport. We're staying in central Toronto, but would be happy to travel a reasonable distance to a rink. I have tried Google, but whilst I can come up with lots of links to skating clubs, I can't seem to find any rink information. We're probably seeking low level freestyle, or daytime public sessions.

Any pointers anybody could provide would be much appreciated.

sk8tmum
06-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Most of the "real figure skating rinks" in Toronto are private clubs - and they may or may not have ticket ice (which is what they call pay as you go ice). You can check the clubs in the area to see if they are indeed offering ticket ice. Some do, some don't.

Or, you can click here for the public rinks:

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/recreation_facilities/skating/ice-time.htm

Heads up though, public skate means exactly that: everybody and anybody, no provison for figure skating, and, in many instances, a complete prohibition on anything other than just skating in circles.

Bunny Hop
06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks sk8tmum - now that I know to look for 'ticket ice', that will give me something to go on. The arrangements for skating over there are obviously a lot different to what I'm used to!

jp1andOnly
06-20-2008, 06:11 PM
fyi, most public rinks won't have ice and htose that do will be a bit further away from the city. Like the other poster said, public ice is meant for everyone and they don't like you to do jumps or spins.

You need to "buy on" at a figure skating club. In the summer this might be hard as the ice times often get booked (you usually book for a day or a week in the whole summer.) Be prepared to pay 10-20 for an hour. Also, depending on when you go in aug, some clubs might already be shut down. I know most clubs stop their summer nice mid to late August as they prepare for fall school.

Check out some club websites and figure out if anything works for you.

good luck!

Just edited to add...check out the CENTRAL ONTARIO SECTION website. They have the clubs list on their webpage that will at least you you a place to start.

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/

Hello Canadian skaters (or at least those in a very specific part of Ontario!).

My husband and I are going on holiday to Toronto in mid-August, and at least one of us will be taking along their skates, in order to fit in some skating whilst we're there (at the moment, I think I'd just prefer a break, but my other half definitely doesn't want to be off the ice for too long!).

Anyway, the point is that we're looking for rinks in Toronto, preferably accessible by public transport. We're staying in central Toronto, but would be happy to travel a reasonable distance to a rink. I have tried Google, but whilst I can come up with lots of links to skating clubs, I can't seem to find any rink information. We're probably seeking low level freestyle, or daytime public sessions.

Any pointers anybody could provide would be much appreciated.

CanadianAdult
06-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Central Toronto Skating Club (http://www.centraltorontoskating.com/)

There's lots of ice in the 'burbs but it's not public transit friendly.

sk8tmum
06-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Another thought: to skate on figure skating ice in a Skate Canada club, you have to pay a Skate Canada membership fee. It covers liability insurance, etc. It's around $31 a year or something like that ... but, just another consideration. There may be a reciprocal arrangement with whatever body registers UK skaters, but, it would be good to check out before you arrive at a club here expecting to skate on their club ice.

jp1andOnly
06-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I can comment on that. Had someone from the UK come over and skate in Canada. She had the NISA...(or something like that) and that was ok until she registered with a skate canada club.

another thing. In order to skate on club ice you have to follow their levels. Each session usually has levels you have to have passed to be allowed on. Each club has different standards. Open sessions are meant for skaters of all levels.

Another thought: to skate on figure skating ice in a Skate Canada club, you have to pay a Skate Canada membership fee. It covers liability insurance, etc. It's around $31 a year or something like that ... but, just another consideration. There may be a reciprocal arrangement with whatever body registers UK skaters, but, it would be good to check out before you arrive at a club here expecting to skate on their club ice.

Bunny Hop
06-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Thank you kindly for your advice everyone. It's all sounding very complicated - which is making me think more and more that I definitely won't be taking my skates with me! Neither of us are members of NISA, which sounds like it is going to be a problem. I also haven't passed anything even vaguely official, so I wouldn't have a clue about levels, though my husband is going through the UK 'passport' at the moment (so beginning singles jumps, one foot spins etc). I may pass the problem onto him to decide whether it is going to be worth it!

jp1andOnly
06-21-2008, 10:33 AM
the level you will look for then is junior...you will haveto find a session that says something to the effect "has passed canskate" Be warned, it will mostly be all little kids. An open session would probably be the way to go...skaters of all levels.

However, if you are just working on stroking dance and a couple spins, you might find public ice just fine. That might be the way to go....

Thank you kindly for your advice everyone. It's all sounding very complicated - which is making me think more and more that I definitely won't be taking my skates with me! Neither of us are members of NISA, which sounds like it is going to be a problem. I also haven't passed anything even vaguely official, so I wouldn't have a clue about levels, though my husband is going through the UK 'passport' at the moment (so beginning singles jumps, one foot spins etc). I may pass the problem onto him to decide whether it is going to be worth it!

Canskater
06-23-2008, 08:01 AM
The Scarborough Figure Skating club operates out of the Scarborough Ice Galaxy, which is owned and operated by the City of Toronto. There is daily ticket ice available (not sure of the times) and the ticket ice is open to the general public. You can get more details by phoning the City of Toronto Parks and Recreation Department.

I have skated at Ice Galaxy many times ... it is a rink designed specifically for figure skating ... no hockey boards ... mirrors so you can see what you are going, etc. And the ice is softer than hockey ice.

Cheers

-- sheilagh

Bunny Hop
06-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks again everyone. It looks like there may be some options there after all. I've now got some pointers for what to search for, anyway.

sk8tmum
07-06-2008, 04:16 PM
The SFSC Ice Galaxy arena has ticket ice every evening, and Saturday fron 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Sunday afternoon/evening. Just need figure skates; there's no boom box, though, so if you need music ... I guess you have to hope someone brings one and lets you borrow it. Nice surface, well finished for skating (it's the SFSC's home rink) - and it's $6 CDN per skate, 1 hr and 15 min session. You are supposed to call to reserve a spot ... there's a max of around 23 per session.

416-396-4057

Scarborough Centennial RC
1967 Ellesmere Road - Scarborough, Ontario - M1H 2W5