View Full Version : Persipiration

Bill_S
06-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Time for a delicate question about an un-delicate problem. I sweat when skating -- a LOT. I will soak through a sweatshirt even in the dead of winter. My hair will be dripping wet.

I understand why I get soaked through at the non-air conditioned roller rink when skating hard. It's HOT, and I'm constantly moving. The ice rink, well, maybe, because I don't stop moving for a couple hours.

However I took my first ballroom dance class last night and still had sweat dripping from my face. Nothing like drops of water hanging from the tip of the nose to make an impression on a partner. Ugh!

While others may have had some beads of sweat on their foreheads, I had rivers running down my face.

Weight-wise I could be slimmer, but I'm not THAT heavy. I'm already restricting salt intake and eating wisely - no potato chips, french fries, no salt on food, etc.

If age is a factor, well, there isn't much I can do about that.

Is there another condition known by the medically astute readers here that could cause this? Why do I have such "high-performance" sweat glands?

Moderator: I just realized I spelled "perspiration" incorrectly in the thread title. Grr! Can that be edited?

techskater
06-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I think it may just be your genetics. I know that my training partners and I work equally as hard but I will soak through a fleece jacket on the first two moves on the Novice test and my T shirt/technical fabric shirt and pants will continue to soak through a session while they only sweat a little.

jp1andOnly
06-20-2008, 08:51 AM
I find if I'm working really hard then I sweat a lot...mostly on my head if you can believe it! It looks like I've gone swimming. When I'm not working as hard then I don't sweat. For me, I take it as a good sign, though I could do without looking like I just got out of the pool...hehe

Rusty Blades
06-20-2008, 08:53 AM
You are not alone Bill! I "glow" with great abandon on the ice to the point where my top is wet and my hair is soaked even though the rest of me may be freezing cold. I know a couple of women coaches who have the same problem. How the he!! can you be cold and sweating at the same time ..... ah, excuse me, "glowing"!

I thought it was the after-effects of menopause, but that leaves YOU in an awkward spot :mrgreen::halo:

Bill_S
06-20-2008, 09:50 AM
You are not alone Bill!

I thought it was the after-effects of menopause, but that leaves YOU in an awkward spot :mrgreen::halo:

Uhm, yeah, somehow I don't think that's my case. I'm quite sure that I haven't reached menopause yet. :twisted:

I recall seeing my grandfather sweat profusely when we put a new roof on his house in the early '70s, and somehow I thought I was immune. Fast-forward 40 years and I've become my grandfather. There must be something about genetics as techskater mentioned.

I could do without the "swiming pool" look that I get doing modest activity if there's something else to consider.

vesperholly
06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Some people just sweat more than others, I think. Have you thought about seeing your doctor? They can prescribe stronger anti-perspirants than you can get OTC. It could be indicative of a health problem, but I doubt it seeing as you recall direct relatives with similar sweating issues.

I googled "excessive sweating" and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhidrosis

Morgail
06-20-2008, 02:41 PM
I "glow" quite a bit when skating too. When I stop to get a drink of water, I can see steam coming from my face:oops:

Other skaters I know never sweat, but seem to work just as hard as I do. I think it is genetic. Not sure if there's anything we can do about it, though.

smelltheice
06-20-2008, 02:58 PM
I too seem affected by this. People kept telling me that if I get fit, it won't happen. I used to be in the military and no matter how fit I got, I sweated just as much. It is the body trying to cool itself I am told and this is regulated by the thyroid glands. Some people have underactive thyroids and they don't regulate body temperature like they should so the body overheats faster than normal and sweats as a result. I am not sure of the medical authenticity of this but it does seem to add up.

The other reason I was told is that dehydrated people sweat more than normal so in theory, folks who have a high caffeine intake should sweat more as this dehydrates but I know people who mainline caffeine all day straight from the percolator and they don't seem to sweat profusely.

Bill_S
06-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Beside my morning cup of Earl Grey tea, plus a diet Pepsi at lunch, I don't drink much caffeine. I've never been a coffee drinker, so that probably isn't a factor for me.

It's a good tip, though.

If I was a heavy coffee drinker, I'd try cutting back to see if it makes a difference.

froggy
06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
you should speak to your MD about this..to make sure its not a hormone issue-ie: overactive thyroid or poor control of sugar intake.

some people have hyperhydrosis, if you think this is the case you can speak to your dermatologist, there are strong OTC anti-perspirants like certain dri, there is also a RX i think its called drysure s/t like that. in severe cases botox injection are very effective --but not a permanent solution since the nerves grow back in about 4 months---some insurances cover the cost, if your insurance does not it can run into a few hundred dollars.

good luck!

Bill_S
06-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Aren't strong OTC anti-perspirants mostly for underarm usage? In addition to underarm, I'd have to rub it on my head, face, back, and chest for that to make any worthwhile difference. I can wreck fresh laundry in short order.

I'm probably due for a check-up, so I will certainly ask the doctor when I go.

Bill_S
06-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I looked up "overactive thyroid" to check other symptoms...

"Common symptoms include:"

Excessive sweating - Yes, indeed!
Heat intolerance - not really.
Increased bowel movements - let's not go there.
Tremor (usually fine shaking) - nope. I have VERY steady hands.
Nervousness; agitation - not unless provoked.
Rapid heart rate - not me. It's usually around 58 BPM.
Weight loss - don't I wish!
Fatigue - a little. I LOVE naps.
Decreased concentration - what was the question?
Irregular and scant menstrual flow - does not apply.

If I were the doc, I'd rule out an overactive thyroid.

But I'm not the doc.

vesperholly
06-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I doubt it's hyperthyroidism. I developed hyperthyroidism a little over a year ago, and I've never had excessive sweating issues.

What they mean by heat intolerance is non-exercise related - you're sitting still, the a/c kicks off in your house, and all of a sudden you're burning up. You also will be intolerant of cold. It's kind of like your body is only comfortable at one temperature, and one degree above or below is burning hot or ice cold.

Bill_S
06-20-2008, 04:47 PM
What they mean by heat intolerance is non-exercise related - you're sitting still, the a/c kicks off in your house, and all of a sudden you're burning up. You also will be intolerant of cold. It's kind of like your body is only comfortable at one temperature, and one degree above or below is burning hot or ice cold.

While I prefer it cool, I don't mind hot weather or very cold weather. I'm rather resistant to the cold according to my co-workers who don't skate.

I summer, I can tolerate the heat OK whether mowing or roller skating in a non-air-conditioned rink on 95 F days. Who doesn't like a cool, air-conditioned room in summer though?

Like you concluded, I don't think it's hyperthyroid-related.

katz in boots
06-21-2008, 03:20 AM
I can sympathise, I've always had this problem. As a really fit young person, whenever I hit the dance floor I'd be dripping. One of the people using the hand dryers in the ladies room to blow dry my hair.

As a skater, I wear t-shirts, my jacket is off after 5 mins warm up. I have to stop to mop with a towel, and when I leave after two hours, I look like I've been swimming.

I gave up asking why a long time ago, it's just how I am. So I wear moisture wicking fabrics as much as I can, and use a micro fribre towel to mop up the rest.

It isn't attractive, but it's normal for some people.

Sessy
06-21-2008, 04:31 AM
I notice that it's people who do a LOT of sports and are in good shape who sweat the most during physical activity.

Try putting on less clothing is the only thing I can suggest. Also cooler, better ventilated clothing. For ballroom dancing, I usually had something spaghetti-topped, naked-belly, knee-long. Then again, I'm a girl.

Anti-persperants (special sprays, quite expensive, like 15 euro and up) work, but they do mean that you will be sweating elsewhere. Nevertheless, it could be an idea to at least spray your face so you don't drip.

And buy some sports shirts! They're totally cool. I have like 15. Not the lycra-like kind, the tricot-like kind of some sort of polymere. They're usually sold as the bottom layer of a 3-layer system, but sometimes you can get them for cheap at sales, or at aldi sometimes.
They absorb ridiculously much moist without showing that they're wet, and without feeling wet. You can just about wring them out afterwards, they become very heavy.

They also make tights of the same material, but those usually look like real underwear.

Mrs Redboots
06-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Whereas I sweat quite dreadfully in bed at night (being of a Certain Age), but seldom to excess when taking exercise, either on or off ice.

Bill - and others for whom this is a problem - do be very sure to drink plenty while you skate. It might be an idea to use an oral rehydration formula as well as plain water, to replace lost salts.

jcookie1982
06-21-2008, 07:53 AM
My husband sweats way more than what is considered normal, and uses a special prescription deodorant that he has to put on at night before bed.

Bill_S
06-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I seldom have trouble with perspiration at night, although once in a great while I'll awaken damp. I don't know what causes that, but it happens so rarely, I don't worry about it.

I do drink water when I roller skate. After all, it's very hot in there in summertime - and I'll make a t-shirt semi translucent with moisture.

I seldom drink water while ice skating. I don't often feel thirsty when I'm on ice, but will drink liquids after a session. I take a change of clothing and a washcloth when I travel far to skate, and pack a bottle of water too. At my home rink located just 7 minutes from the house, I don't bother packing things like that.

I've noticed that when I do get dehydrated, I start forgetting things - can't remember a name, etc. Then I know it's time for a drink of water.

jwrnsktr
06-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Has anyone addressed the issue of what clothing you are wearing? Some clothing keeps body heat in while some other fabrics wick away moisture and keep you cool. I think you need to wear fabrics that breathe and wick moisture away. If you are wearing heavy fleece and working hard on the ice, of course you are going to sweat. Combine that with a hereditary disposition to sweat a lot and you have a double whammy. I would mention it though to the doctor, next time you go.

Query
06-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I don't sweat enough to keep cool, so can't fully sympathize with your problem... But I think, opposite though it may be, keeping cool makes sense for your problem too.

Has anyone tried evaporatively cooled clothing (ties, headbands, wrist bands...)? Often sold in outdoor stores. Have no idea how well it works. A simpler idea would be to keep a terri headband soaking wet. Or use a dry headband to absorb the water coming down from your hair.

Terri cloth shirts breath, are cool, but don't show water much. Some other cotton weaves do the same, but not all.

The common thin wicking stuff like lycra, polypro or silk, keep you warm instead of cool, which might make you sweat. They also stink when sweaty, especially polypro. Cotton stinks less than anything.

Dark cotton shows water less than light.

Lower your core temperature by taking a long cold shower just before dancing. (Gals don't like cold hands, so keep them warm.) Cold drinks also keep your core cool.

Could you drink ice water after every dance? And smear or spray your face with it before wiping it dry? You might have to skip every other dance to find the time - which would keep you cooler still. Perhaps you could take advantage of this to talk to the lady for a moment after the dance, instead of fleeing her to find the next partner, which we otherwise do cuz there are usually more guys than gals dancing. (Is that why Ballroom is generally more social than ice dance? Cuz gals go where there are more guys when they want to socialize, and go to ice rinks when they don't?)

I often wet my neck to stay cool.

Cutting back on salt and other electrolytes when you sweat is bad in several ways. There are salts in most sports drinks, even in V8. Frequent ice cooled sports drink consumption might be good. (I've given up loosing weight through exercise. I try to lose weight the rest of the time.)

Shorter hair is cooler.

Skin is cool. Don't know Sessy, but no doubt she looks good with the bare belly she suggests. It's kind of a wierd look for us guys. Bet she doesn't dance much with guys that dress like her. But the closest we can come, at some ballroom dances, it's OK to go barefoot and wear breathable (cotton) shorts and a tee shirt.

(You have to be younger and fitter set get away with mesh shirts.)

When skating, I love sweats, because they are easy to fall on, and stretch easy, without the leotard look that doesn't look right on me. But do overheat in warm rinks.

Skate@Delaware
06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Aren't strong OTC anti-perspirants mostly for underarm usage? In addition to underarm, I'd have to rub it on my head, face, back, and chest for that to make any worthwhile difference. I can wreck fresh laundry in short order.

I'm probably due for a check-up, so I will certainly ask the doctor when I go.
I picked up this tip while working as a nurse aide: anti-perspirant can go ANYWHERE on the body (except of course mucous membranes, eyes, etc.) such as groin area, feet, and (for women-under the breasts). Try the new clinical-strength OTC types first.

Do you wear wicking-away type of fabrics? try those instead of plain 100% cotton t-shirts. that might help with the evaporation part.

As for the problem during ballroom dance, well you will just have to throw a tea-towel over your shoulder and keep in there "in case"...as I have seen some guys (and ladies) do during classes (especially the latin classes).

Bill_S
06-22-2008, 11:49 AM
As for the problem during ballroom dance, well you will just have to throw a tea-towel over your shoulder and keep in there "in case"...as I have seen some guys (and ladies) do during classes (especially the latin classes).

That beats the paper towel stuffed in my pocket! Good idea, especially since the first class concentrated on Salsa.

I am beginning to suspect the two hours of roller skating 1-1/4 hours before dancing has my metabolism going too. I DID go home and shower afterwards before going to the ballroom dance class, and I thought that it would suffice. Now I'm not so sure.

I'll have to check into some clothing specific for dancing, and yes, also for ice skating. I've always been a sweat-shirt (how appropriately named!) kind of guy, but I keep hearing about other fabrics that may be more suitable. Time to investigate.

techskater
06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
I have issues with microfleece and other wicking fabrics, too, though, you can't tekk as easily.

Sessy
06-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Oi, I wouldn't suggest barefoot foor ballroom. Latin MAYBE, I know some ladies do it, but not for ballroom.

Well I'm not saying go with a naked belly, (FYI I had a permanent partner and he was the spikes-and-eyeliner type of guy, took him longer to do make-up than me hah!) but take something with short sleeves and buttons you can open to your chest, so the heat can escale through the top. And leave the shirt out, not in, so cool air can come from below. For training it doesn't really matter what you wear, so long the teacher sees what you're doing and your particular dance partner is okay with it.

mdvask8r
06-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I have issues with microfleece and other wicking fabrics, too, though, you can't tekk as easily.
OK, I'm stumped . . . tekk ???

Bill_S
06-23-2008, 11:11 AM
My guess is "tell" because "k" and "l" are adjacent on the keyboard.