View Full Version : Akton Padding?

Skittl1321
06-19-2008, 05:10 PM
While searching the boards for alternatives to skating safe pads (which are just really expensive...) I found a recommendation for Akton padding. I think it was recommended for kneepads, however.

Has anyone used this for a tailbone pad? My tailbone is still killing me and the thought of another fall is just unbearable- will this cushion the blow well? Is the 3/16" a good thickness?

If you've used it (tailbone or otherwise)- how does it hold up? and how well does it work? Is it worth buying, or will I just end up having to replace it and should go with the skating safe pad to begin with?

dbny
06-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Renatale told me about Akton padding in regard to knee pads, but (AFAIK) it's the same gel that Skating Safe uses for all of their pads, so I don't see why it wouldn't protect your tailbone.

renatele
06-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, skatingsafe pads are made of Akton - they even had that info right on their website several years ago.

For regular practice, I use "homemade" kneepads that I just cut out of Akton wheelchair pad - they are thicker than skatingsafe. Not pretty, and I did have to use Nexcare tape (orange-y colored one, flexible) to tape up the edges so they don't stick to everything, but my knees are very very happy.

Skatingsafe tailbone pad is of slightly varying thickness, it's thicker at the part that protects your tailbone. Though it's awfully expensive, I still got it, and do not regret doing so. Somehow I don't mind much that my kneepads are more visible, but am vain about my (already big) butt ;)

Now where are my skatingsafe hip/knee pads ... I fear that I lost them over a year ago... Last I remember using them was on my juvenile mitf test, and they saved my knees from a potentially bad injury. Haven't seen them after that.

ibreakhearts66
10-02-2008, 08:38 PM
So I know this thread is old, but I thought people might still be interested. I got an elbow sleeve (http://www.grogans.com/servlet/shop?cmd=I&id=SAMCA730003) from my orthopedist that uses Akton padding. It works really well. The sleeve itself that it comes in looks really silly, but that's beside the point.

So Akton padding works just as well as the skatingsafe pads. You can just get a sheet of it and cut it to whatever shape you need. Then, you might want to use something to seal it, but mine is unsealed and still works fine.

EDIT: I know you just posted about the shorts, but if you do decide to go with the Akton, I would go thicker than 3/16. For the hip pads, skatingsafe says 3/16 for skaters under 60lbs, 5/16th for over. I'm sure you could do fine with 1/4 inch. Or, you could probably do 3/8, depending on how much protection you want.

jjane45
07-10-2010, 06:19 PM
OK since the original knee pad thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=31135) is hijacked I decided to hijack someone else... (LOL just kidding, I think this thread is more releavant!)

Based on Audryb's DIY suggestions (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=29158), I also bought the 18"x18" Akton pad and cut up custom pads using the skatingsafe designs. Playing in graphic software a bit, I managed to get knee pads, hip pads, elbow pads (smaller knee pads), and tailbone pad fit into it.

The funniest thing was doing my best to use up all the scraps. It turns out the freshly cut edges glue to each other extremely well, and with some planning I made small triangles from scraps which in turn became presentable rectangular pads. Almost like an one-dimension lego game, LOL. The end result? A heavily padded hat (with velcro pockets to make sure washability) and a nice butt pad instead of just a tailbone pad.

For sticky edges exposed to the air, I cut up old natural color stockings into strips, sticked it to the edge, and trimmed the extra width off. Works fine after couple sessions into it, but maybe it could have been better if tape was used instead. Either way, as Audryb said, some lint is not that bad.

Since I skate in pants I did buy the retainer sleeves from skatingsafe, they work fine for elbow pads but tend to roll up on knee pads. No slipping though. Old stockings cut into shorts hold the hip and butt pads much better than I expected.

Overall I am extremely happy with the result. The carrying bag was heavy as it's most of the original pad, but can't really feel the pads while skating. And I crashed my left hip two classes in a row after starting to wear the hip pads, was able jump up as if nothing happened :D :D :D

Many thanks to everyone who shared the DIY experience!!

AgnesNitt
07-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Since I skate in pants I did buy the retainer sleeves from skatingsafe, they work fine for elbow pads but tend to roll up on knee pads. No slipping though. Old stockings cut into shorts hold the hip and butt pads much better than I expected.

I use arm warmers from a biking store rather than a retainer sleeve. These are nice in that you wear them like a jacket without a body. And if you get hot, you can just roll the top of the arm warmers down.