View Full Version : Bunion prevention?

Lisa_C
06-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I believe my 12yo daughter is starting to get bunions after 2 years of skating. Her big toe is starting to point inward, but it's from the joint in the toe, not at the base of the toe. I've heard this is common in ice skaters due to the tightness of the boots, but I was wondering if there is anything we can do to prevent it from getting worse.

She has started complaining that her boots are getting too small. Could that be the culprit? Would getting her larger skates stop this from getting worse? I've been skating for the same amount of time, and my feet look the same as they did before I started skating. She has wide feet whereas mine are standard width. Maybe her skates aren't wide enough?

Clarice
06-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Yes to both too small and too narrow as possible culprits. Get her to a good boot fitter, to make sure that she gets the correct size and that the brand of boot is compatible with her feet. Different companies use different style lasts to make their boots, and some will fit your daughter better than others.

Lisa_C
06-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks. I had a feeling the boots might be the problem. Is there anything that can be done about the damage that has already occurred? Any stretching exercises or anything?

Skating Jessica
06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
The problem will likely correct itself, or at the very least, not progress, with new skates.

For now, you may want to see if you can get her boots punched in the areas that are causing problems. While it's not a permanent solution, it may alleviate the pain until your DD gets her new skates. I'd suggest seeing what a skater fitter can do about it. Feet can be complicated and I'm sure your skater fitter has seen hundreds of different bumps and bones on thousands of feet. Surely he or she can help you out.

AxelBaby
06-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Until you can get new boots - or even until you can have them punched. These things work wonders and will alleviate the pain she has.

http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_GIFTACC_p1.html

You can order them directly or go to any local dance store and they will likely have them as well.

I don't think they will prevent any future damage but at least in the meantime they are a cheap and quick fix.

herniated
06-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe take her to a podiatrist to evaluate her foot issues. I had bunions from age 9 - a genetic thing but it can be made worse by shoes/boots that are too tight.

BTW I had surgery to correct them while in my 20's. No problems ever since. Of course I don't wear heels often anymore and my boots are custom.