View Full Version : Help with new skates???

rcstewart94
06-18-2008, 06:52 PM
I need help deciding what new skates i need. I weigh about 90 lbs and my current skates are size 4 and my doctor said my feet aren't gonna grow that much more(im 14). I have been skating almost 18 monthsand i have a clean axel and close double sal and close double toe:D. i have a nice flying camel and layback/beilman. I need a skate that can take me through most of my doubles. Right now i have Jacksons clasique with mirage blades. Dont ask how i have been able to use these lame skates for so long i dont know myself. I was thinking about Jackson Competitor boots and protege blades. Is this a good set? I was also thinking Graf Richmonds. I don't know which blades I would put with these, Any Ideas?? My mum is leaning towards the jacksons, They are a lot cheaper. Would the Jacksons be able to take me through my doubles? My mum doesn't want to buy a new pair of skates in a year. HELP PLEASE!!!!!! I want to buy them soon
--Sorry for the long post

Stormy
06-18-2008, 07:02 PM
What does your coach reccomend?

singerskates
06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Ask your coach to go with you and your mom to the proshop. Your feet might stop growing but you'll still be getting taller and heavier but you want to make sure you don't get a skate that is too much skate for your light frame. Think about Ultima Elites or Freestyle blades as these will last you a long time and will get you through to your 3 Lutz. The boot depends on the type of foot you have as well. I use to have Graf Edmonton Specials but now I'm skating in Jackson Elite Plus boots and Ultima Elite blades. The Jacksons are a much better boot then they use to be and are now comparable to the Grafs (higher end boots starting with the Jackson Elite). Do your mom a favour and save some money because at the rate you're going if it keeps on happening, you'll be into triples in a year and will need knew boots again. Don't go throughing away more money than you need to spend. What you don't spend today, you can save for the next pair of boots, your competition expenses and so on. Just don't get a lower boot than a Jackson Elite.

aussieskater
06-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Just don't get a lower boot than a Jackson Elite.

That seems a lot of boot for someone who only weighs 90 lbs (that's 40.8 kgs for those of us who work metric) and doesn't yet have a clean double? I know my coach's 12yo daughter, who is a little lighter than the OP, is working on about 2Z, and wearing Freestyles (and Gold Seal blades!) Coach commented that she would rather see her skater in lighter boots because her skater is dainty and lightly built.

I second (third? ;) ) the suggestion to ask your coach. Good luck with whatever you get!

ibreakhearts66
06-19-2008, 12:19 AM
For blades I would probably go with Coronation Ace, Pattern 99 (both Wilson), MK Profressional or, as someone already said, Ultima Freestyle/Elite.

Boots--Maybe Harlick Competitor Plus? That's what I wore when I was your level and weight. They were great boots, and they're not too expensive.