View Full Version : Lake Placid Adult Week

2salch0w
06-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Anybody up in LP yet this week? Any reports on how things are going?

I'll be arriving Thursday morning. Look out. :)

Tim

happysk8tes
06-18-2008, 10:02 AM
It's my second year attending the Lake Placid camp, and once again I feel I've died and gone to skating heaven! Nice surprise - Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov will be here Friday and are giving a seminar at 6 - 7 in the 80 rink. I assume they'll skate in the Saturday night show. There are some changes to the email schedule, they've added classes on Saturday. Dress warm, it's not too summery up here this week and the USA rink where all the classes are held is cold!

Do you dance? I'll be on the dance ice in the 32 rink on Thursday at 6, working on the Swing.

Pat

2salch0w
06-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the report. I'm here now, and you're sure right about the weather. But June is often like this in LP.

No dance for me. I've been on a few sessions on the USA and 1980 rinks. Looks like the 32 rink is mostly dance and the kids this time.

It seems quiet this year, but maybe that's because it is later in the week and the "gung ho, let's skate all the sessions" energy has worn off. :)

I think there were some problems w/ the schedule, and some complaints. But it looks pretty good to me. All the ice time I could possibly want to use, and a nice selection of classes to take.

Tim

AgnesNitt
06-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Big Guy and I will be at Lake Placid in the August Adult Camp session. Any advice (either on ice or off ice--where to eat, what to bring)?

looplover
06-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Nice surprise - Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov will be here Friday and are giving a seminar at 6 - 7 in the 80 rink.

8O

LOVE them!!!

techskater
06-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Big Guy and I will be at Lake Placid in the August Adult Camp session. Any advice (either on ice or off ice--where to eat, what to bring)?

Eat - I vote Charlies which is attached to the Golden Arrow!

flying~camel
06-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Eat - I vote Charlies which is attached to the Golden Arrow!

VERY good suggestion! I can also recommend Jimmy's 21, Pete's Steakhouse and the Firehouse Deli (all on Main St.).

Just keep in mind that food there is a bit on the pricey side (it is a resort town, after all).

2salch0w
06-21-2008, 12:05 PM
My favorite place for pizza is Ere's, right on the lake in the middle of town.

Jack Frost is now "Pasta La Vista", and we had a nice lunch there. Right across from the 1980 rink.

Haven't tried Charlie's yet, maybe tonight. We did like the place that used to be there.

There's a great Mexican place, Desperados, but it's a little far to walk. Go through town west-bound, then go left onto Saranac Rd, then it's about a mile ahead on the left.

Also in that general direction is a great little deli/cafe we found, Saranac Bread or something like that. It's right across from the Howard Johnsons. Just a little rustic hole in the wall, but very cool and good food and coffee. It was a 10 minute walk from town.

Tim

herniated
06-21-2008, 04:18 PM
We loved Pasta La Vista when we were up for AN. Especially, a burger they have with Gorgonzola (sp?) cheese or blue cheese on it? Yum. Not good for the arteries but... deeelish. Charlie's is good too. More formal and took a lot more time. And of course the steak house. Forgot the name. But my fav is Pasta La Vista.

pedonskates
06-21-2008, 06:17 PM
You have to go to "Tail of the Pup" which is between LP and Saranac Lake. It is a big BBQ place with long picnic tables. Very yummy!! The brew pub that is in an old church is also very good.

I suggest packing lunches to save $. The cafeteria is a little pricey. We had a fridge in our hotel room and brought a bunch of stuff to eat for breakfast and lunch. That way dinners could be fun.

Best advice is to not go crazy on Monday or you won't be able to move the rest of the week!! Also, they seemed to set up "celebrity" coaches at the last minute, so allow for flexibility in your schedule.

sk8lady
06-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the report. I'm here now, and you're sure right about the weather. But June is often like this in LP.

No dance for me. I've been on a few sessions on the USA and 1980 rinks. Looks like the 32 rink is mostly dance and the kids this time.

It seems quiet this year, but maybe that's because it is later in the week and the "gung ho, let's skate all the sessions" energy has worn off. :)

I think there were some problems w/ the schedule, and some complaints. But it looks pretty good to me. All the ice time I could possibly want to use, and a nice selection of classes to take.

Tim

Just had to tell you we LOVED your program! (It was the only one my son actually paid attention to.) It was like having Cinderella show up at the ball--"Who IS that?" "I never saw THAT guy skating!" and then a voice from higher up in the stands saying, "He didn't show up till Thursday!"

If you're there next year, I'm looking for someone to try a double back outside hydroblade with! :D

2salch0w
06-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Just had to tell you we LOVED your program! (It was the only one my son actually paid attention to.) It was like having Cinderella show up at the ball--"Who IS that?" "I never saw THAT guy skating!" and then a voice from higher up in the stands saying, "He didn't show up till Thursday!"

If you're there next year, I'm looking for someone to try a double back outside hydroblade with! :D

Oh wow, thank you so much. It was the first time I've performed it and I really didn't feel like it was ready. I was pretty happy / relieved with how I did - was worried it'd be so much worse.

Glad I could entertain your son. My musical selections are usually a little different and more rock-themed. As always, I enjoyed all the routines in the show. The guys doing the car thing was fun, Bill and Cindy's dance was very sentimental and well-skated, Pat skated well and used the music nicely, and the hockey chick was really really good. I also liked Rose's program - her skating has come along very well in the past few years.

Yeah, only did a 1/2 week this time, but was just glad to get up there after missing 06 and 07 all together. I had my 2 kids with me and the deal was to split up the time between skating and other adventures, so I wasn't on the ice all that much. I'm pretty sure I'll be up next year, probably another 1/2 week - maybe Wednesday - Saturday this time. I'm up for the hydroblade offer - have always wanted to learn that. :)

Tim

sk8lady
06-28-2008, 04:06 PM
and the hockey chick was really really good.

Tim

Thanks! That was mine. One of my favorite interp programs--if I fall I turn it into a dive-and-roll and no one's sure if it was by accident or on purpose! :lol:

LWalsh
06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
I didn't see this thread until now....

Bill and Cindy's number made me cry...honestly

Tim I loved the stories! Hope to see you soon.

Everyone in the group number was great!

What a fabulous time!

Lara

Black Sheep
06-28-2008, 10:27 PM
I didn't see this thread until now....

Bill and Cindy's number made me cry...honestly

Tim I loved the stories! Hope to see you soon.

Everyone in the group number was great!

What a fabulous time!

Lara

Pics or vids anywhere? ;)

sk8lady
06-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Pics or vids anywhere? ;)

There are some pictures here: http://www.lakeplacidskater.blogspot.com/

2salch0w
06-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Sk8Lady - I should have known by the hydroblade! And I like your fall contingency. I need to come up w/ one of those.

Lara - Great to meet you and trust me, I'll never run out of funny stories.

The link to a few pics has been pointed out. Lou directed me to Barbara for a copy of the video. She missed the beginning but has most of it. She's going to review it and let me know. I've never posted a video to youtube or anything, but if I get a copy I'll try.

Tim

Figureskates
06-30-2008, 05:22 PM
I am sorry I missed the show Saturday night but I had to leave Friday morning because we are shorthanded at work and I had to go back....:evil: