View Full Version : Lol oh dear (new boots and blades)

Caris
06-16-2008, 11:05 AM
So I tried out my new boots and blades today. Oh dear!

I have GAM 95's which are a size smaller than my last skates and completely different as I was in Risports. Ok I can't actually have them done up to the top and have anything like an ankle flex so far!

I'm gone from Ultima IV to coronation ace blades too, and was all over the place. Couldn't do edges or turn and felt completely out of control. I tried a sit spin and a cross foot spin, and well there wasn't actually any spinning, just kind of flat skidding, I was WAY too far back on the blade, not a hint of sweet spot or pick! I thought about jumping and didn't even dare.

I thought the blades were totally flat at first till someone pointed out to me that they are just very different - hehehehe huge understatement!

I think these are going to take some time to get used to. I actually felt like I had someone else's feet on!
I was really shocked at how different the two blades must be! Right now I hate them and want to stay on my old ones, but I'm sure I'll grow to love them eventually!

Skating Jessica
06-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes, new blades can be a huge adjustment, to say the least, especially when you switch to a completely different blade that may have a different rocker radius. Even replacing blades with the same make and model can be uncomfortable for a few days as you're more likely to have a better (or more curved) rocker, which you may have worn down on your old blades from skating on them so much.

Hang in there! I'm sure you'll adjust in no time.

Mrs Redboots
06-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Husband has Gam 95s and even now he doesn't do up the top hook when he is dancing (although he does for Freestyle). You will get used to them - they are relatively easy to break in. Mine are Gam 75s, one model down, but they only took a week to begin to feel like "my skates" (mind you, it was a horrible week!); boots and blades together is a horrible learning curve, but you will find next session feels a little better, and by this time next month you'll have forgotten it!

I take it you're not doing Bracknell, by the way?

Caris
06-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Ah thanks for the words of encouragement, I shall stumble about for a bit, then hope it all starts coming together!

I'm not going for Bracknell this year, probably a good job considering the boot & blade change! I am however determined to give it a go next year though :mrgreen:

ibreakhearts66
06-16-2008, 06:54 PM
oh man I remember changing from Mark IVs to Coronation Aces. I had the same problem, couldn't adjust at all. I thought I would try putting my old skates back on at the end of the session, just to try to jump and spin a bit. Found myself EXTRA frustrated because I had adjusted to the CAs enough to make the Mark IVs feel foreign, but not enough to feel good in the CAs.

But don't worry, you will get used to it and then you will wonder how you survived in your old boot/blade set