View Full Version : Discipline(s),level(s), what you do for on-ice training,off ice trainning,warm up

FSWer
06-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Ok Skates!!!! What I want to know from you today is...what Discipline you do,what level your at,and what you do for on ice and off-ice trainning. Also,if you do it. Please also include what you do for your warm-up before going out on ice at a competition and (or) show? If you do more then one Discipline. Please tell for all Disciplines you do.

Skating Jessica
06-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Freestyle: Novice level.
Off-ice traning: I enjoy Pilates and stretching, but that's about it for off-ice training, which I do about 3 days/week. I used to do a little kickboxing and strength training classes at my old rink, but after leaving to go to a new rink, I just work out on my own at my home where I'm able to do Pilates and use something called "Standing Firm," which strengths leg and arm muscles. I purchased it after using it at a demonstration geared toward skaters by a trainer. You can find out more about it at http://www.standingfirm.com/.
On-ice training: Skating, basically. I work on all my jumps from singles through double flips, as well as spins from scratch spin through flying sits, and do some run-throughs of my program. In other words, I practice (about 4 days a week).

Dance: Gold level.
Off-ice training: The same that I listed above applies for dance.
On-ice training: Again, skating and practice. I do back-to-back run-throughs of my dances, which include the Viennese Waltz, Argentine Tango, and Quickstep. (I have yet to learn the Westminster Waltz.) As I get closer to test sessions, I work with my partner doing run-thoughs to the music and working on tracking, postitions, expression, etc. We'll generally do the required amount of patterns for the test together and then I immediately skate my solo required patterns after a brief rest, which mimicks the way a dance test would go.

I don't compete any more, but when it comes to testing, I just try to get my legs warmed up by jumping around, stretching, etc. I try not to overdo it, so that I have energy saved for my actual test, but feel warmed up enough going out.