View Full Version : Patterned Dress Question

Skittl1321
06-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Sorry for the silly question- but I'm about to order fabric to make dresses again, and am trying to figure something out.

When a dress uses a fabric spandex, are the briefs usually just a coordinating solid color? Or is it okay to use the pattern there too?

For the dress with polka dots, I'm using a solid, because I don't want polka dots on my bottom, but another dress just has a colorful geometric pattern, and I think it's going to be hard to match the color. Will it look okay to just have a pattern on the brief?

techskater
06-15-2008, 10:12 AM
You could do what my coach did with my current dress. The base of the dress is a shiny black hologram material and she flipped the pants material inside out so I don't have a shiny butt.

Skittl1321
06-15-2008, 10:21 AM
That's a great idea for metallics and shiny- I'll have to write that down in my notes book. Unfortunately, it won't work for this one, the pattern shows on both sides, just dull on the other side.

sk8lady
06-15-2008, 01:51 PM
I usually use a solid color, either matching or contrast, usually in stretch velvet--that way you don't have the shiny behind issue.

techskater
06-15-2008, 02:05 PM
That's a great idea for metallics and shiny- I'll have to write that down in my notes book. Unfortunately, it won't work for this one, the pattern shows on both sides, just dull on the other side.

If it's dull, does it show as much? You could then flip it inside out as a "contrast"

livestrong04
06-15-2008, 02:29 PM
I never even thought of making the brief in a different fabric. I have made a few skating skirts, haven't tackled a dress yet (would love to know what pattern you're making, challenges, issues, etc. - I read your posts about the beautiful halter dress you made). I just used the same fabric for both skirts. One skirt was hot pink leopard print, and the other was glitter velvet. It's the Jalie pattern that has a skirt and jacket, and the yoke of the skirt is set fairly low so when you do a spin, the ruffles don't actually twirl high enough that a lot of your bottom is showing. I think your dress would look fine with the brief in the same fabric, especially for the geometric, unless it is just personal preference, as in not wanting a polka-dotted bottom.

Please post on how they come out with a photo - someday soon I am going to try a Jalie dress, maybe the one with the boat neckline, as a practice dress. Have fun sewing!

Clarice
06-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I rarely use print fabrics, but regardless of what fabric I use, if the entire dress is to be made of it, I make the briefs out of the same fabric. The exception is when the bodice is to be one color and the skirt another - then I have to choose whether the briefs will match the bodice, or whether they will match the skirt. Usually I match the skirt. It's really just a matter of personal preference, though. And also of construction technique - if you're going to hang the skirt, as opposed to setting it in, the body of the dress is made in one piece like a leotard so the briefs will necessarily be the same fabric as the bodice.

Skate@Delaware
06-15-2008, 04:48 PM
If its a pattern on black, you can use black if you like. It's really whatever you want to do. for dresses that have many colors, you can pull any color out and use any of them for the brief/contrast/trim. Sewists choice!!!

Just NEVER use nude!!! It looks as though you are not wearing ANYTHING on your bottom!!! <G> (just think about it)

sexyskates
06-15-2008, 10:27 PM
You will actually draw attention away from your rear if you use the same fabric for skirt and panty. It will all just look like skirt from a distance. Be sure to make the skirt longer in the back so that you get coverage when doing back crossovers. If you do choose a solid for the bottom, a darker color is less conspicuous than a lighter one when compared with the skirt.

mikawendy
06-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Just NEVER use nude!!! It looks as though you are not wearing ANYTHING on your bottom!!! <G> (just think about it)

Yes, and never use a color that's a lot lighter than the rest of the dress, or the briefs will look like underwear under a dress.

Skittl1321
06-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks all for your opinions. It will certainly be cheaper if I don't have to buy extra fabric just to make a brief- and although I've never seen it on store bought dresses, it seems like you all think no one will think twice if I have a patterned rear. I still don't want a polka dotted bottom, but the other designs probably shouldn't be too bad.

Now I just have to decide on, and order the fabric!

LW*
06-18-2008, 07:16 PM

Don't forget if you're using the same material for the skirt, the 'other side' of the material will be what shows on the underside of the skirt i.e. the material next to the briefs, so still worth considering using the material 'inside out' even if the pattern does show through, as it might blend in with the skirt quite well! Personally, I'd just use the same material the right way round, although the thought of a shiny butt doesn't appeal so I might rethink that if it was hologram material!

sexyskates
06-18-2008, 08:13 PM
When you design the dress, also think about what it will look like while in a spin.