View Full Version : To our Skaters in Iowa

SkaterBird
06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
It's not a skating topic per se, but I am sure we're all sending our love, thoughts, and prayers to all skaters in Iowa (and everyone else there too). Hang in there.

Mimi

Skittl1321
06-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks!

I just cannot believe this is happening here. The magntitude of the flooding is just something I couldn't think was possible without a category 5 hurricane, but the combination of snow melt and a very very rainy spring was enough- and it's not at all isolated, I think every major river basin in Iowa is experiencing flooding. Last week, they kept talking about the historic flood of 1993- and how high that was, and using it as a benchmark of the worst case scenario, but we've exceeded that, even with all the new safeguards put in place since then.

I, myself, am safe and dry. Until yesterday life was stressful but normal- however as of today we are much more cut off, with only 1 bridge to the other side of the river still open, and so many roads closed that it's just a ridiculous thought to drive very far if you don't have to. We don't expect to get any flooding at my home, but there are roads closed less than a mile away, and under 2-3 miles away there are building in 8 or more feet of water.

On a skating relating note, the ice rink here is business as usual. Freestyle was emptier than normal, but LTS went on. I think only one coach didn't make it in (quarkiki- who last I heard is dry, but cut off due to road closures) so I substituted. The summer session is small, but almost everyone made it in. I didn't skate myself today, as my tailbone is really still bothering me, and if I was to fall, there really isn't a good way to get to a hospital, I figured I shouldn't take the risk. We didn't have ice on Friday because a power outage caused the rink to melt.

I don't know if we have any Cedar Rapids skaters on the board, but their rink is also dry. I'm not sure if it's open for skating though because the police are using it as a staging area, and hundreds of officers are there, as it is very close to their downtown, but on higher ground. The CR downtown is just devestated, but their water is on the way down, while ours is still on the way up. We don't have the industry here that they do, so the economic impact won't be as great, even if our flooding is as bad. The University of Iowa is going to be VERY hard hit, however.

Clarice
06-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Thank you! I'm in the Quad Cities (Davenport, IA, although I live on the Illinois side). Things aren't too bad here, although downtown Davenport is flooded. Things are far, far worse in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. I've talked to Skittl1321 and know she is okay, and she thinks quarkiki is, although I haven't made contact with her yet. jskater49 is also in Iowa - things are good where she is, but she knows people who are affected by the flooding. The Mississippi isn't supposed to crest until Tuesday, and it's supposed to sit there for a couple of days before the water starts receding. It's projected to be the 5th worst flood on record. We have another thunderstorm warning for tonight.

Skating is pretty much the last thing on people's minds, but the rink here in the Quad Cities is closed for the duration. The river will completely surround the building before this is over, although the building itself will not take in water. Skating in Cedar Rapids is out of the question, and we can't get to Iowa City because of roads being closed. Peoria rink is down for maintenance, so the Figure Skating Club of the Quad Cities will have to travel at least to Rockford, IL if they want to train next week. Most of us will probably just take the week off (luckily, our competition was last weekend).

Here in the QC, the flood is pretty much just a nuisance. I really feel for the folks who have sustained major losses because of this.

dbny
06-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear you & Quark are safe and dry.

Mrs Redboots
06-15-2008, 06:49 AM
We remembered you in our prayers at Church this morning.

Skating Jessica
06-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Thinking of all our Iowa skaters out there. Be safe!

sk8lady
06-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Best of luck to all of you. We have relatives in Des Moines so we will be thinking of all of you.

jazzpants
06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Glad to hear all our Iowa skaters are okay... but MAN!!! That is a sad sight going on reading the Yahoo News pages... (I don't watch TV much...) :cry: