View Full Version : Which 1 famous Freestyle Skater would you love to have as your coach?

FSWer
06-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok people!!!! Time to tell me which one famous Freestyle Skater you would love to have as your coach? For me......give me Ashley Wagner anytime for a coach. She seems like she would be very nice.

Luckster013
06-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Definetly Michelle Kwan. Do I really need to explain why?

renatele
06-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Can't answer this easily - not every great skater is a great coach. I'd have to find out who can actually *teach*, and especially teach adults :)

Mrs Redboots
06-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Don Jackson! At least, if he taught dance..... we dancers did a warm-up with him at the Mountain Cup camp and it was brilliant!

Or the teachers at the Ice Theatre of New York, who were also brilliant.

Rusty Blades
06-14-2008, 10:58 AM
I would agree with Don Jackson (he still coaches, or used to not long ago) or Dorthy Hamill, or someone else "of my generation". I think working with a coach closer to my age they might have more understand of how difficult it can be to get an "older" body to do what it is supposed to :giveup:

Since I will probably never have a chance to skate with anybody "that old" I do have a lesson with Elizabeth Manley next month :mrgreen:

jazzpants
06-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Can't answer this easily - not every great skater is a great coach. I'd have to find out who can actually *teach*, and especially teach adults :)
Here, here! That said, I did hear Frank Carroll *is* a good coach.

But my choice is not for a coach, but for a choreographer... And he is not that famous either. I would like to get Braden Overrett as my choreographer!!! :mrgreen:

ETA: Of course, it may be a few years before I get around to that. I would like to get my MITF and footwork to the point where I can do justice with his wonderful choreography, never mind justify 1) his fees and 2) the travel cost and vacation time cost to travel to LA to work with him.

Oh...WAIT!!! I *already* have a famous person as my coach. It's "Michelle Kwan!!!" and was featured in this month's Skating Magazine on page 36!!! :twisted: :lol: :P

dbny
06-14-2008, 02:15 PM
not every great skater is a great coach. I'd have to find out who can actually *teach*, and especially teach adults :)

ITA! That said, I was pretty impressed with Brian Orser's on-ice presentation on axels at the PSA conference last month. I missed his other on-ice presentation, but another coach/adult skater that I know said it was also great. Additionally, Brian said that of all the groups he teaches, he enjoys working with adults the most.

w.w.west
06-14-2008, 03:45 PM
ITA! That said, I was pretty impressed with Brian Orser's on-ice presentation on axels at the PSA conference last month. I missed his other on-ice presentation, but another coach/adult skater that I know said it was also great. Additionally, Brian said that of all the groups he teaches, he enjoys working with adults the most.

Darn!! You beat me to it! Yes, yes! Brian Orser! He said more than once at the conference that he enjoys teaching adults and encourages all coaches to teach adults!

singerskates
06-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Do we have to pick only 1?

Hmmm, I'd pick Jeffery Buttle but he wouldn't be at the rink enough to coach me being that he's so darn busy now and has his own training and competitions to worry about. But Elvis Stojko would make a good coach except for the fact that he's trying to lunch a music career and his Cd will be released sometime this month. Kurt Browning would be fun but with Kurt being away to choreograph skaters around the world and in SOI in the US and Canada, I can't see him being around enough either. Josee Chouinard would also make a fun coach but isn't she in Quebec? I've experienced a little coaching at a London, ON On-Ice Skating Clinic from Brian Orser. He was very encouraging and willing to help but I can't see moving to TO or to have my coach fly all over the world for high level skaters all fall and then do ice shows in the spring. When would he have time for me? He's great at the On-Ice Clinics but not practical otherwise. I guess I'll stick with Vern Taylor. He's available and lives at least in the same county as me. He may not be all that famous but he's available.

kander
06-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Since I will probably never have a chance to skate with anybody "that old" I do have a lesson with Elizabeth Manley next month :mrgreen:

There's a name I haven't heard in awhile. Is she still a bundle of perky energy?

Skating Jessica
06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, I'm actually coached by an ex-Olympic pairs skater, although I will keep her name anonymous. She's my freestyle coach and has worked wonders with me helping me overcome a lot of mental hang-ups, especially jump-wise.

If I had to pick someone else famous...I think I would say Kurt Browning so I could learn and perfect some amazing footwork or Scott Hamilton so I could develop unmatched presentation skills.