View Full Version : Skating with scoliosis

Desrosiers
06-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Just in case anyone's wondering, scoliosis is the abnormal curvature and/or rotation of the spine.

Anyway, is it a bad idea? My curvature is 21 degrees, so it's not too bad. I've got an image (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geneticinferioritywu8.jpg) if anyone wants to see (please ignore the editing, haha...).

I got the x-ray taken last year when I was 17, so I'm 18 now, and the doctor said that it shouldn't get any worse because my bones have already matured. Back then, I hadn't started skating. Right now, I'm still a beginner, and I haven't learnt any jumps, but I do want to one day.

However, what I have been doing is stretching, and particularly with the Biellmann, I'm wondering if it will make my back worse. In general, if I try to gain any back flexibility, will it cost me? I guess I'm wondering if anyone is in the same situation as me. This summer, I plan to go back and get another x-ray done to see if my scoliosis has progressed further now that I've started skating and stretching, but until then, I'd just like to hear anyone's opinion.

Thanks. :]

RachelSk8er
06-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Every case is different, but plenty of skaters have some form of scoliosis. I've been skating my entire life and didn't even know I had it until about three years ago (I was 24 at the time) when I had a chest x-ray for bronchitis. No clue how long I've had it, either. I don't even know my degree of curvature, mine is in my upper back and it's not bad, but it did explain some of the back pain I've always had! One of my shoulders is a tad higher than the other but I never noticed in the mirror becauase I either correct that in the way I stand, or it's just not that noticable.

Just make sure you are doing physical therapy or weight training (yoga works wonders too) off the ice to keep your back muscles and core properly balanced--this reduces pain. I did a little PT when I found out I had it, and my physical therapist, who specializes in working with athletes, encourages staying active in a sport because you keep your back and core strong and it reduces problems down the road. I notice that the more active I am, the less my back tends to bother me. Sitting at work all day is when it tends to get stiff. (Like right now...)

I think the slight curve in my spine actually helps my catch foot/bielmann on one side because my back has a little less distance to bend (can't hit the position on the other). I don't notice anything in terms of laybacks, jumps, etc, but again, I probably wouldn't know any different.

Sessy
06-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't have scoliosis but I did have a fracture in one of my vertebrae. For years I had pain in my back, couldn't breathe decently, carry anything heavy, sleep on my back etc... Until I started skating, and particularly, stretching for the biellmann. Slowly but surely, I totally forgot there was anything wrong with my back. I'm sometimes reminded, when I try to lift something heavy. But mostly, the core strength from skating (spins and jumps) and the flexibility from my diligent stretching for that biellmann have made my back much stronger. It's like the muscles took over what before was all on my bones or something. I don't know. It feels lots better anyway.

But what my back had, is totally different from yours. So it might not help you at all.

Stormy
06-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I have scoliosis in my lower back, I don't know my curvature either. Sitting dosen't bother it, but standing for any period of time, even walking around, makes it stiff and painful. Skating, oddly enough, never bothers it. But my back isn't that flexible either, the reason I have a crappy layback. Defintiely make sure you do PT and wight training to keep your core and back muscles strengthened. Good luck with your skating!

Black Sheep
06-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if I turned out to have scoliosis, too. I mastered my backbends and layback spin as an adult! ;)

sk8lady
06-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Maybe you should check with your doctor? And if they don't know ask for a referral with a sports doctor.

kander
06-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Just in case anyone's wondering, scoliosis is the abnormal curvature and/or rotation of the spine.

Anyway, is it a bad idea? My curvature is 21 degrees, so it's not too bad. I've got an image (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geneticinferioritywu8.jpg) if anyone wants to see (please ignore the editing, haha...).

I got the x-ray taken last year when I was 17, so I'm 18 now, and the doctor said that it shouldn't get any worse because my bones have already matured. Back then, I hadn't started skating. Right now, I'm still a beginner, and I haven't learnt any jumps, but I do want to one day.

However, what I have been doing is stretching, and particularly with the Biellmann, I'm wondering if it will make my back worse. In general, if I try to gain any back flexibility, will it cost me? I guess I'm wondering if anyone is in the same situation as me. This summer, I plan to go back and get another x-ray done to see if my scoliosis has progressed further now that I've started skating and stretching, but until then, I'd just like to hear anyone's opinion.

Thanks. :]

Pretty much everybody has scoliosis to one degree or another. Your case looks moderate. Skating would be good for you because it would strengthen your back muscles, which would protect your spine. If you're worried about bending it more out of shape by skating, I don't think that would happen. It's more likely to keep it from getting worse.

Mrs Redboots
06-14-2008, 04:53 AM
I would think rather the reverse - that skating would be a superb therapy for your back! Anything you can do to strengthen those muscles that support your spine has to be good.

coskater64
06-14-2008, 06:40 AM
I would consult a doctor, specifically a sports medicine doctor, there might be exercises you can do that would increase you strength and make skating a more viable choice. I would not ask a skating board what to do, doctors are educated in this area, I am not. Would you ask the board what to do if your arm fell off? Ask a doctor...

Desrosiers
06-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Black Sheep - You must be a very hard worker!

coskater64 - Yes, I will be consulting a doctor later this summer, but I wanted to know if anyone was in a similar situation to mine, so thank you for your concern.

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I will definitely look into off ice training.

samba
06-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I have this condition in my lower back, the x-ray is much the same as yours is only further down, when it becomes painful I have physiotherapy unfortunately this is the only thing that helps, excercising when it is painful, in my case makes it much worse, so do take professional advice on what to do.

ibreakhearts66
06-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't have scoliosis but I did have a fracture in one of my vertebrae. For years I had pain in my back, couldn't breathe decently, carry anything heavy, sleep on my back etc... Until I started skating, and particularly, stretching for the biellmann. Slowly but surely, I totally forgot there was anything wrong with my back. I'm sometimes reminded, when I try to lift something heavy. But mostly, the core strength from skating (spins and jumps) and the flexibility from my diligent stretching for that biellmann have made my back much stronger. It's like the muscles took over what before was all on my bones or something. I don't know. It feels lots better anyway.

But what my back had, is totally different from yours. So it might not help you at all.

Did you have spondy? Just wondering...my sister had it.

I don't think skating with scoliosis should be a problem. I have mild scoliosis (I think my curvature is also around 21 degrees, but I'm not positive), and no doctor has told me not to skate. However, before working on Biellmanns and such, why don't you just give your doctor a call to make sure? It should be fine, but you don't want to risk injuring your spine. Turns out it's it's one of your more important body parts lol

Skating Jessica
06-15-2008, 09:00 PM
However, before working on Biellmanns and such, why don't you just give your doctor a call to make sure? It should be fine, but you don't want to risk injuring your spine. Turns out it's it's one of your more important body parts lol

Yes, definitely seek some advice from your doc. Can't hurt after all. Even if he/she is unfamiliar with certain skating moves (like most doctors are), perhaps he/she can refer you to a doctor who works specifically with athletes and who may be more comfortable dishing out advice based on your specific challenges, goals, training regimine, injury, etc.

Sessy
06-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Did you have spondy? Just wondering...my sister had it.

I don't think skating with scoliosis should be a problem. I have mild scoliosis (I think my curvature is also around 21 degrees, but I'm not positive), and no doctor has told me not to skate. However, before working on Biellmanns and such, why don't you just give your doctor a call to make sure? It should be fine, but you don't want to risk injuring your spine. Turns out it's it's one of your more important body parts lol

I've no idea what it's called (they never actually told me what it's called) but it's like... I was like nine when I slipped in the bath room and rammed my back into the toilet edge, but nobody bothered to take me to a doctor for my back pain at the time. And later on the back pain fainted but I got pain breathing and things like that. So I walked around with that for years and docs called it everything from hyperventilation to imaginary to muscle ache between the ribs etc, until when I was like 17 at my physiotherapist's I once bent forward with no shirt on and he went like "Hey are you missing a vertebrae?" I was like WHAT? No. So that's how they discovered it, made x-rays after that and decided there wasn't anything they could do about it. It's like... The vertebrae just under my bra was fractured and sunk into my spine so deep you can't feel it if you press there. Apparently it was pinching off some nerves that went to the ribs for years. Docs said I actually got really lucky with the scar tissue bone not doing more damage. I still feel it if I lift something heavy in front of me, I can't breathe at all, so when I need to carry something heavy I put it on top of my head, or in a backpack.

But skating did do lots to help. Before that I danced ballroom, that didn't help for it though, so I'm guessing skating either does more for your back muscles, or the biellmann stretches really helped.