View Full Version : 2009 WFSC New Years Adult Invitational

jenlyon60
06-13-2008, 05:06 AM
The dates for this competition will be Feb. 7 and 8, 2009.

Mark your calendar and start making plans.

More information will be posted in the future on the Washington Figure Skating Club website ( http://www.wfsc.net )

Debbie S
06-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Any progress on getting the CM, Spin, and MIF elements to actually match the test levels? :)

skaternum
06-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Any progress on getting the CM, Spin, and MIF elements to actually match the test levels? :)

Or any other non-qualifying competiton on the planet??

jenlyon60
06-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm not involved in that part of the event planning.

Terri C
06-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Well then, who do we write to??
With gas prices well over $4.00/gallon (will we see $5 a gallon by the end of summer :o:roll:?) they are really going to have to make a effort to get people to attend.
There is also a local competition in my area the week after NYI and they very well might offer Adult freeskating events next year. If they do, I may opt to compete closer to home in order to have more money for AN, as well have my coaches there!

flutzilla1
06-14-2008, 08:43 AM
I agree with Debbie, Terri and skaternum about the spin and CM event levels -- I would definitely have considered going to DC last year if I had been able to do any event other than just the FS. It's a very long way to go from NY to VA for just one event.

jenlyon60
06-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I can pass your comments along. I can't guarantee that it will affect anything. The person who normally picks the requirements for those events likes to set things so that there's a challenge rather than just sticking purely to test level basics.

Debbie S
06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
The person who normally picks the requirements for those events likes to set things so that there's a challenge rather than just sticking purely to test level basics.We've been through this a zillion times here, so I won't start it all over again, but I do want to point out that this person should be aware that doing that decreases the number of starts, and possibly the number of entrants (as flutzilla's situation shows), which decreases the amount of profit the club will make off the comp.

coskater64
06-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Well, I plan on going this year if all goes well. I like the challenge, of doing things that are difficult, of course I dislike the spin competition layout, I prefer doing a simple 3 spin program rather than the one at a time confusing order. As for field moves it is always helpful to be able to perform moves that are a level above your tested level. Just MHO....:D

mikawendy
06-14-2008, 07:35 PM
An advantage to the NYI spin event layout IMO is that there's less chance that one will be dizzy between the spins. In spin events with all three spins done in a row, I'm usually dizzy for the second and third spins, even if I put steps between (because I start rushing due to nerves and then wind up taking less time on the steps)! :lol::lol:

Terri C
06-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I can pass your comments along. I can't guarantee that it will affect anything. The person who normally picks the requirements for those events likes to set things so that there's a challenge rather than just sticking purely to test level basics.

Well it's one thing to have a challenge, but another to have elements that are totally out of whack with what skaters are doing at a particular level, or a MIF pattern that is not on any of the adult tests.

Skittl1321
06-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Well it's one thing to have a challenge, but another to have elements that are totally out of whack with what skaters are doing at a particular level, or a MIF pattern that is not on any of the adult tests.

Well, I can't make the competition either way- but my curiosity is peaked, and I can't find anything about this competition or last years on the site given: What elements are required for each level? What move pattern is done that's not on the adult tests at all? (That is really odd, if it's specifically an adult competition)

jenlyon60
06-15-2008, 05:13 PM
The dates have been selected. The announcement will be published once the club has gotten the sanction for the 2009 competition.

Debbie S
06-15-2008, 09:45 PM
One other thought/request, about the MIF events: NYI has always used FS levels as a qualifier/disqualifier for each MIF level. But the adult MIF have been in place for 6 years now, and most adult skaters are at least 1, if not 2, levels ahead of their FS level in MIF. If the ref wants to give the skaters a challenge, she should reword the MIF event requirements so that, for example, a Bronze skater could compete in the Gold MIF event (if they are working or or have passed Gold MIF). The way the announcement has been worded up to this point, the highest MIF event a Bronze skater could enter is Silver.

Perhaps the ref has been letting skaters compete 2 or more levels higher in MIF on a case by case basis, by request, but according to the announcements, they aren't officially able to.

I can't remember exactly how it was worded, but I thought the Halloween Classic rules for the MIF events made sense (I think there was a max MIF and FS test allowed for each level but no min). Maybe someone should consult that announcement and give it to the NYI ref before next year's announcement is finalized.

What elements are required for each level? What move pattern is done that's not on the adult tests at all? (That is really odd, if it's specifically an adult competition) Last year, I believe the alternating 3's were in the Bronze MIF event (the alt 3's used to be on the Pre-Bronze MIF test but haven't been in the adult track in 3 years). I've also seen the Juv back power 3's crop up in the Silver MIF event. The past few years, the Gold MIF event has included 1 Gold move and the 2nd move has been either the back perimeter stroking w/ back 3's end pattern from the Intermediate test or the Novice spirals. And yes, there is a Masters MIF comp to accommodate those working on those tests (usually it has moves from Novice or Junior).

And an ongoing frustration for skaters working on Bronze moves is that in the Bronze MIF event, there is usually 1 Bronze move and then 1 Silver move (or last year, a Prelim move). Each of the 2 years I competed Bronze MIF, I had to learn a Silver move to do the event, and I hadn't even passed Bronze yet! The first year, it was the Silver spirals, which admittedly only took about 30 secs to learn, but then the next year, it was the 8-step. I've been working on the 8-step seriously for 2 years now, and I've still got issues. For someone who hasn't even passed Bronze MIF, it is next to impossible to get that move ready to compete in the 3-month period between the announcement being posted and the comp date. I did it, but my 8-step was pretty bad. It would have benefited me much more (and still have been a challenge) to have had both moves be from the Bronze test. And for Bronze skaters working on Silver MIF, all they had to do for a challenge was to skate up, like I did when I moved up to Bronze and wanted to compete the moves I was working on.

Actually, assuming I was in a position to compete Gold MIF at the next NYI, I wouldn't mind having the Novice spirals in the event - I'd probably do better on that move than on some of the Gold ones, lol. And it would be cool to say I did a Novice something, and that's probably the only Novice move I'll ever be able to do. :oops: ;)