View Full Version : off-ice jump question

Audryb
06-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi, I'm pretty new here, but I have a question for you more experienced skaters.

Just to give you an idea of my level, I just finished my first 8 week LTS session, where I passed Adult 1 and all of Adult 2 except forward pivot (I can only do 1 rotation, need 1 1/2) and I'm also working on some things from Adult 3-- Mohawks, backward crossovers. I also learned a waltz jump, which I can do pretty consistently from a standstill, but haven't even THOUGHT about trying to do it "moving."

Well, after I learned that little jump, I was practicing it at home, jumping from one foot to the other, and I thought I'd try jumping and doing a full rotation in the air. Ha! I never realized how hard it is to turn around in the air, and I was really dismayed that I could only do about 3/4 rotation and even that was with flailing arms and practically falling over at the end.

So my question is, given that I'm really not jumping yet, and won't be for some time, would taking an off-ice jump class before I start jumping help me to be ready to jump later, or would it be pointless and a waste of time/ money? My rink has walk-on off-ice jump classes for about $10, and I'm really eager to learn the technique, now that I understand how hard it is.

I appreciate any advice :D

jskater49
06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
I've been taking off-ice jumps this week for the first time and I don't do anything other than half jumps and I've found it very helpful...I think if you can start to learn some basic things....like using your abdominal muscles, how to jump straight up, using your knees, landing position, right away can only help.

j

Luckster013
06-12-2008, 09:08 AM
I think it would be good for you to go. It could help you to get a really strong waltz jump off ice, which will make it much easier and more consistant on the ice. Also you might get an introduction to some other jumps you'll be learning later on, so when the time comes to learn those on ice, you'll have some experience and hopefully pick them up quicker.

Kim to the Max
06-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I think that doing jumps off ice can help immensely. It is a different feel than on-ice but some of it is the same (pulling in, leg position, etc), many of the differences come with the take off and landings.

And that reminds me that I need to start doing my axels off ice again...otherwise Coach is going to be upset...she asked on Tuesday if I had been doing them and all I said was....95 and humid and no a/c....so, obviously, that answer was no! But this week I have no excuse....

Audryb
06-12-2008, 06:01 PM
thanks guys (gals) that's what I was hoping to hear ;)