View Full Version : Adult Skaters - Staying Motivated?

ElinorD
06-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Question for everyone:

When you have hit a plateau, how do you stay motivated? I can't seem to get past my current level, the elements I'm working on are just not coming, and they aren't getting any improving. I'm really frustrated! A lot of my problem is mental, but the more frustrated I get, the bigger the mental block seems to be. How does everyone keep themselves going when it gets tough?
Any advice, stories, commiserating... is welcome. :cry:

Thanks!
-e

stacyf419
06-12-2008, 06:44 AM
I am working on my bronze level mitf and freestyle, to give you an idea of my level. When I get frustrated with jumps/spins, I switch my focus to moves for the next few days, and vice versa. It gives me something concrete to work on that's both very different than what was frustrating me, as well as improving the skills that will help FIX what was frustrating me. Sounds confusing, but it certainly works for me.

Also, my coach insists on the 'seven' rule. If you're totally not getting it after the 7th attempt, drop it and move on until your next practice session.

fsk8r
06-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Question for everyone:

When you have hit a plateau, how do you stay motivated? I can't seem to get past my current level, the elements I'm working on are just not coming, and they aren't getting any improving. I'm really frustrated! A lot of my problem is mental, but the more frustrated I get, the bigger the mental block seems to be. How does everyone keep themselves going when it gets tough?

Thanks!
-e

Have you tried ignoring the problem and working on other new elements? I find that when I get stuck with something that I need to learn other things which eventually help get around the block. Also having a coach which praises the small improvements helps a lot as well.
I learnt a show stop last week because I'd got fed up snowploughing my way through tests. The coach showed me and I worked out how to do it. I felt really chuffed because it turned out not to be difficult for me to do but I'd previously been intimidated about it. The bonus from the success was finding enough motivation from it to carry on trying the other elements I struggle with.
But I thoroughly agree that the plateau bit is horrid. It's a horrid sport, you start out wanting to go forwards and stop and then you want to turn and go backwards and at some point you suddenly think jumping and spinning are possibilities and before you know it you want to learn double jumps. But when you become aware of the next level up is when it gets depressing as you become aware of how useless you are at which point you really need to take stock and look down the tree and see quite how far you've climbed. Remembering what once was impossible and is now doable is needed. (And I really need to take my own advice as I've been feeling really low since passing(!!) my last tests. But I'm snapping out of it as I'm slowly realising that the new elements for the next test are doable and it does take time for the body to learn what to do without being terrifed).

Rusty Blades
06-12-2008, 07:17 AM
A plateau is one thing - I have hit those and kept going through sheer stubbornness - but after mid-January I actually LOST ground. I have lost my only 2 jumps and my sit spin. I am taking the month of June off skating.

I don't know how you find the motivation. Right now I am so unmotivated that it wouldn't bother me if I didn't get back on the ice for summer school. I know I will - I am FAR too stubborn to quit - and I am just hoping the joy and passion returns when I get back on the ice.

Kim to the Max
06-12-2008, 08:11 AM
For me...I just muscle through thinking about how exciting it will be when I finally AM able to do it...

Right now, I am working on Novice moves and trying to land my axel (correctly and to my high standards...I am a bit of a perfectionist as is coach) so that I can take my juv freestyle test. But, I have been working and working and working on that jump...every session I am out there working on it, I know what the issues are (pulling my leg in front on the weight transfer and pulling my arms in), but I just can't seem to do it...other coaches have seen this and they are encouraging...there has been talk about a party when I finally land this jump...but, it is very much a plateau...I keep doing it, because I still love skating and I know that eventually something will click, I will be able to do it, and I will feel silly for not getting it earlier...

RachelSk8er
06-12-2008, 08:32 AM
--Move on to something else, for either a short time or a longer period. My jr MIF test started to frustrate me last winter. I didn't work on it at all for 4 months (didn't have time with synchro nationals, getting ready for AN, testing some dances, etc anyway)...I started working on it again in April, and right away it was better than it was when I was seriously working on it. The same thing happened with one of my dances. I felt like it was getting worse, so I didn't do it at all for a month. I passed it on the first try 2 weeks after I started working on it again.

--Take a short break from the ice altogether (I always take 2 or 3 weeks in May)

--Skate at a different rink for one or a few sessions. Sometimes a change of scenery is nice.

--Take a few lessons from a different coach. Sometimes a different perspective on your skating helps, even if it's only a matter of saying the same things as your regular coach but in a different way.

--Reward yourself! I have rewards for myself lined up for the day I pass my jr MIF test (this skating dress I really want but don't really need), the first time I land 3 axels in a session (the adult skating fleece from USFS's site), and when I lose 10 more pounds (manicure/pedicure) :)

skaternum
06-12-2008, 08:39 AM
ITA about trying out a different coach. Sometimes it can help; sometimes not. But at least it's something different.

If you've really plateaued for a while, you might consider working on a fun program for some upcoming competition. Like an Interp (or Artistic or Showcase or whatever you have). Working on a fun program with elements that you can DO can be a great morale-booster. Don't think of it as working "backwards." Think of it as working on your presentation skills - which are very important too. That way you're still working on improving something, just not necessarily the tricks you've been stuck on.

Thin-Ice
06-12-2008, 09:01 AM
These are all really good ideas. Something else to do is take five or 10 minutes (but set a limit) to really wallow in how awful you feel and how hard this is... and then go look at video (if you have it) of when you first started, then compare it to current video. See the improvements there, and compare the feelings you have now to the frustration you felt when you were trying to get your first 3-turns/jumps/spin.

The other alternative is to force yourself to take time off the ice.. and no matter how much you want to go, don't let yourself. Soon you will be dying to get back on the ice, no matter how frustrated you were. This also stops you from practicing bad habits.

Something someone else told me is when you get frustrated with what you can't do, go to a public session and do what you CAN do well... nearly everyone there will be thrilled to be skating with a "star" -- and if you're lucky, you'll have some little kid come up and ask if you're going to the Olympics.:yum:

Bill_S
06-12-2008, 09:04 AM
In a way, the absence of ice during summer months is a blessing for me. In the past, it's provided time to heal some nagging injuries, but it also allows the desire to skate to arise again. By the time autumn rolls around, I'm chomping at the bit.

Most of the replies indicate that a change of some sort -time off, working on other goals, even a change of coach or rink - can have a positive effect on motivation.

When I'm frustrated and going downhill, I always think about the bees that find their way into my car. The blasted things always butt their heads repeatedly against the windshield glass trying to escape, when the way out is a left turn to the open window.

jskater49
06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Working on something else is good...but don't stop working on what is frustrating you completely. I found making myself do what is frustrating me at least once or twice every time I skate to be very helpful even though I hated it. Because the only way it will get better is practice. And it will get better. This from someone who has been in tears over mohawks and now thinks she has turned the corner.

now it's my spin...but I just make myself do it - then reward myself by doing something that makes me feel good

RoaringSkates
06-12-2008, 01:13 PM
There really is no morale booster quite like going to a public session, you're so right. I'm often the best skater out there, full stop. And when I'm not, I'm certainly the most skilled adult. And the few times I haven't been, I'm absolutely the best short, fat, round, skater of my age out there. I mean, to look at me, you'd NEVER think I skated, so I totally win at life. :winks:

Sometimes, it just takes a public session to give you some perspective.

hanca
06-12-2008, 01:44 PM
When I am starting to loose my motivation, it helps me to increase the amount of lessons. Then I feel that I have to practise harder because I wouldn't want to feel that I let my coach down, so I put myself under the pressure of imagining that she may think that I didn't bother to practice... so the result is that I have my motivation back and practice extremely hard. ;)

If the problem is only one element, then I would do it only several times per practice and then concentrate on something else in the meantime. For example, now I am sort of stuck on flip (can't jump it to save my life), so I make every practice only a few attempts and then concentrate on the field moves. I am sure that the flip will happen somehow eventually (possibly when I least expect it); perhaps it is not the right time yet, so in the meantime I will take another field moves test and learn another spin. Not worth getting depressed over one element. 8-)

There was already suggestion here to go to public session. I have to confirm that it can be quite ego booster. Although it can be annoying to try to learn something in the overcrowded rink :evil: , I found it so funny when one lady approached me and asked me whether I could be giving lessons to her daughter, because she though I was a coach! I am not that good!!! Made me laugh. :roll:

I also find this video motivating. It is about Gymnastics, not figure skating, but there is plenty in it I feel I can relate to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACPSechyzs

jazzpants
06-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Short term, I usually work on something else until it passes. Longer term (say over a few months) the different coach/perspective idea does help too! I have two coaches and if my primary coach frustates me, I go thru my secondary coach. Sometimes BOTH of them aren't getting thru to me, I then go to a third coach when I visit my in-laws in NYC to my NYC coach!!! He, for some reason, almost ALWAYS "gets thru" to me. :mrgreen: (Those of you that know who I'm talking about and had him as a coach know exactly what I'm talking about...) It's all a different perspective thing.

Speaking of which, I AM DYING for another few lessons with NYC coach right now!!! I need that different perspective thing again.... sorta a mini-vacation from the regular stuff and away from the "same 'ol, same 'ol."

Sessy
06-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Take a holiday from skating for a few weeks? After 1-2 weeks off the ice, I often suddenly get revelations and stuff.

ElinorD
06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks everyone... These are really good ideas- I especially like the idea of public sessions. I still take classes at the freestyle level, so I enjoy getting other coach's advice.

I was working on loop, flip, sit spin & camel when I stopped skating years ago. After starting back, I secretly hoped that I wouldn't hit the same brick wall, but here I am again. It's really frustrating - I don't know how long I worked on them previously, but I've been working on them again for over six months. :x

I've reached the point where I ask myself "why am I doing this?" I know that if I don't get my confidence back up, I'll continue to struggle.

Thanks for the tips and tricks... keep 'em coming! I'm glad to have this board, you guys are great.
-e

looplover
06-12-2008, 05:20 PM
When I hit a plateau (such as now with the flip) I work on footwork. It's always a lot of fun and you need fun at such times! I agree about the public sessions too.

Black Sheep
06-12-2008, 05:52 PM
It's fun to cruise eBay for bargains: Stuff worth $200 on sale for $50-60. It's most fun when you really want that dress for a steal and actually WIN it! ;)

Morgail
06-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe try working on/learning a different kind of skating? For example, if you're getting frustrated on freestyle elements, try some dance. Or visa versa. Or maybe see if your coach can teach you some figures. Of course, don't abandon the troublesome elements completely, but it can be nice to have something completely different and new to work on.

sk8lady
06-12-2008, 07:52 PM
There really is no morale booster quite like going to a public session, you're so right. I'm often the best skater out there, full stop. And when I'm not, I'm certainly the most skilled adult. And the few times I haven't been, I'm absolutely the best short, fat, round, skater of my age out there. I mean, to look at me, you'd NEVER think I skated, so I totally win at life. :winks:

I endorse this 100%. I am always the best 47 year old lawyer/hockey mom/faculty spouse/really short, astigmatic permanently pre-bronze lady who-only-gets-five-months-of-ice-a-year-and-whose-coach-was-in-a-state-of-crisis-all-year-long out there.
Sometimes little girls ask me if I'm a) a professional skater
b) going to the Olympics c) going to do a triple axel for them. After the first couple times it happened I started modestly telling them that I'm too old to do a triple axel these days! (or ever, or, for that matter, a single axel, lutz, or flip, but I don't tell them that)

Other ideas:
1. Try something that looks cool but is pretty easy
2. Ask your coach if you can take a lesson from a different coach--sometimes hearing something a different way "clicks" and you can suddenly do it
3. Take a week off
4. Take a dance class--NOT ballet, something that will teach and emphasize things a little differently than the way it's taught for skating--I take belly dance and ballroom dance--belly dance is great for core strength, ballroom dance for posture...but mostly just because they're really, really fun!!
5. Wear a dress to skate in at public skate...you will feel mildly silly but you will look like a ROCK STAR to the little kids!! (If you're female...otherwise you will just look odd.)(Or like Alice Cooper.)

Since we're adults...this should always be enjoyable.

[

Lsk8
06-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I am always the best 47 year old lawyer/hockey mom/faculty spouse/really short, astigmatic permanently pre-bronze lady who-only-gets-five-months-of-ice-a-year-and-whose-coach-was-in-a-state-of-crisis-all-year-long out there.
[

I really like your perspective.

Also, I enjoyed the gymnastics video--if you haven't watched it you should. I didn't skate as a kid, or do any kind of sport for theat matter, but I still could identify with the feeling the video evokes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACPSechyzs

dbny
06-12-2008, 09:39 PM
It's a horrid sport, you start out wanting to go forwards and stop and then you want to turn and go backwards and at some point you suddenly think jumping and spinning are possibilities and before you know it you want to learn double jumps. But when you become aware of the next level up is when it gets depressing as you become aware of how useless you are at which point you really need to take stock and look down the tree and see quite how far you've climbed. Remembering what once was impossible and is now doable is needed.

May I borrow this? I love it, and I think my coach would too.

Something someone else told me is when you get frustrated with what you can't do, go to a public session and do what you CAN do well... nearly everyone there will be thrilled to be skating with a "star" -- and if you're lucky, you'll have some little kid come up and ask if you're going to the Olympics.:yum:

Yesterday I was on a public session with a teenaged friend who is rather tall and somewhat overweight (IOW, not your ideal body for freestyle, and not conducive to big jumps). She is also a beautiful skater with impeccable form. She did a single loop - not big, not impressive, except that it was executed beautifully. Several kids struggled over right away and one asked quite seriously if she could do a triple loop!

Maybe try working on/learning a different kind of skating? For example, if you're getting frustrated on freestyle elements, try some dance.

You beat me to it - Dance is what I was going to suggest, since the OP is working on FS.

doubletoe
06-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I was working on loop, flip, sit spin & camel when I stopped skating years ago. After starting back, I secretly hoped that I wouldn't hit the same brick wall, but here I am again. It's really frustrating - I don't know how long I worked on them previously, but I've been working on them again for over six months. :x

I've reached the point where I ask myself "why am I doing this?" I know that if I don't get my confidence back up, I'll continue to struggle.

Thanks for the tips and tricks... keep 'em coming! I'm glad to have this board, you guys are great.
-e

Something else that helps is to watch a Senior level competition--skaters who can land triples--and count how many times you see a skater mess up These skaters have been landing those triple jumps for years and STILL fall on them! I know it's cruel to say, but I remember how much I enjoyed seeing Stephane Lambiel completely wipe out on the entrance to a spin last year. The point is, you may be frustrated that you're still working on the same things after six months, but that is the nature of this sport, so you are in good company (I've been doing camel spins for years now and they STILL decide to mess with me for weeks--even months--at a time!).

kander
06-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Question for everyone:

Thanks!
-e

So far everybody has talked about trying new things to keep your interest up. For me, when I don't feel like skating I go anyway because:

1) It helps me stay thin and healthy
2) It makes for nice buns ;)

I look at it as a workout session. It can be a chore like doing laundry or grocery shopping, but it's something I can't do without. It usually turns out I have a good time anyway. It's rather rare that I wished I hadn't gone after the session

Kevin

fsk8r
06-13-2008, 02:30 AM
I look at it as a workout session. It can be a chore like doing laundry or grocery shopping, but it's something I can't do without. It usually turns out I have a good time anyway. It's rather rare that I wished I hadn't gone after the session

I'll do this sometimes, force myself down there when I don't want to go, but I take the attitude that I don't care about what I'm meant to practice, I'm going for a) a social and b) to do something fun and different. It generally means I dig out the really long list of call tricks I want to learn but can't do (like shoot the ducks) and I mess around with them for a bit.

I've also recently discovered that there are more than one way to skin a cat. I've been struggling with back spins since forever. My dance / moves coach has recently decided she wants me more over the blade on 3 turns/edges so we've been working on double 3's and twizzles. Bonus other than being able to do a twizzle and then collapse on two feet, is that I can now "fake" a back spin. I no longer have the travelling back spin (which freestyle coach called a twizzle), but have something which pretends to turn for a bit and I can pull out of. Still isn't what I would call a spin, but it's definite improvement. But it definitely only came because I stopped working on it and worked around it. This has greatly increased my motivation for working on it now as I'm beginning to see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
And what I've found helped with my loops and flips is doing a program. They've just happened at zero speed for a while and I can't make them go faster, so coach made them go faster by shoving them in the program. The loop happens now (with less emergency breaking maneouver) and the flip happens maybe 1 time in 4, but she keeps reminding me that it wouldn't have happened at all a month ago. It's just really hard for me to notice the improvement as I'm stuck with me 24/7, she only sees me once a week and can see the change.

Sessy
06-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Thanks everyone... These are really good ideas- I especially like the idea of public sessions. I still take classes at the freestyle level, so I enjoy getting other coach's advice.

I was working on loop, flip, sit spin & camel
-e

Dry jump the loop. You don't need a full rotation, half a rotation off-ice will do. Check really really strongly on the takeoff and don't pre-rotate your shoulders into the jump separate of your hips. You'll get better and better at it, get more and more rotation over time. Don't try to get the full rotation right away though.
(I had to learn the loop both directions and trying to get the full rotation right away caused me to break at the waist. The jump reflex has to build as well - you're using the other leg from the one on the sal and toe after all.)
Once you get the loop, the flip is a piece of cake. The difficulty with F and L is that you have to learn to get your weight over the leg you jump on. An exercise I also like is jumping rope on the loop landing/takeoff leg. Then try to do it without the rope, but with the free leg in front of you with a bent knee, sort of h-shaped. Jump in place and rotate a quarter or a half each time. This will force you to get all of your weight over that side.
I've got rather closed hips so I actually have to turn my hips out on the take-off (on anything skating-involved actaully, especially if it's spinny) but I'm not sure how this will work for others.

For the sit and the camel, for me it's very important to use the muscle running alongside my back from my shoulderblade down my back and up my shoulder to my neck. Otherwise I never get into those spins at all. Other than that I'm not so good at them so I can offer little advise.

katz in boots
06-13-2008, 03:19 AM

Glad you don't skate at my rink, we'd be in competition;)

Seriously, public sessions can be great morale boosters. Sometimes, when I feel like I can do nothing well, and I'm having a really lousy practise, I will just skate, stroking around & around reasonably fast. The cold air on my face, the feeling of almost flying, the freedom, that tends to bring me back to why I love it so much in the first place.

Having had a 20+ year break from skating, I am about back to where I used to be, after nearly 3 years skating again. It has been frustrating, there have been times when I wonder whether I can progress beyond this point. But then I notice something I do better now than I did years ago, little things like mohawks, and it gives me hope that I can progress further.

That's how I stay motivated.