View Full Version : New Blades: Mounting?

Skittl1321
06-11-2008, 02:34 PM
The rink just called me and my blades (which they told me this morning would be in next week) are in!!!! I'm thrilled.

Now, I have my next challenge- how do I get them on the boots...

Can I mount them myself? And just follow the basic mounting of my current blades. Or is that a really bad idea?

There aren't any pro shops around here, and I've never heard of anyone who is an expert at this sort of thing- but if mounting them myself is a really bad idea, there is a coach at another rink that I think can do them. But due to the flooding traveling up there isn't going to happen for awhile (so I'll have to wait longer anyway.)

So- any advice?

Bill_S
06-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I can offer this...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/mounting_blades.html

Bill Schneider

Skittl1321
06-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks- that's very helpful.

Can I reuse the holes from my previous blades, for the temporary mounting- or do I need to fill them first and then rescrew into them? I have 2 (maybe 3) unused hole on each boot- which obviously I'll use when doing the permanent mounting, but those alone won't hold the blade- can I just screw back into the holes that already exist?

Skittl1321
06-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Well, I have longer to wait. Just got a new call from the rink.

"We ordered an 8.5" blade and Jackson thought that was your boot size so they sent a 10.5" blade"

URGH! Why have blade sizes, if you're going to send them by boot size? (My boot's a size 3- so it's not even close to going to work!)

Now I have to wait for the replacement.

Bill_S
06-11-2008, 04:00 PM

... can I just screw back into the holes that already exist?

Yes, as long as the holes are sound. If the screws feel a little loose, put in a drop of epoxy once you've settled on correct position.

Bill Schneider

dbny
06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I have longer to wait. Just got a new call from the rink.

"We ordered an 8.5" blade and Jackson thought that was your boot size so they sent a 10.5" blade"

URGH! Why have blade sizes, if you're going to send them by boot size? (My boot's a size 3- so it's not even close to going to work!)

Now I have to wait for the replacement.

Unbelievable!!! They must have a real newbie working there - someone who knows nothing about boots & blades.

Isk8NYC
06-11-2008, 11:45 PM

Can I reuse the holes from my previous blades, for the temporary mounting- or do I need to fill them first and then rescrew into them? I have 2 (maybe 3) unused hole on each boot- which obviously I'll use when doing the permanent mounting, but those alone won't hold the blade- can I just screw back into the holes that already exist?
Be careful reusing holes with different model blades. I got a nice bend in the middle of my new Gold Seals when the skate shop replaced my Patt 99's. The holes don't always match up from model to model.

Skittl1321
06-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to only use them if they line up!