View Full Version : Pay for LTS coaches

jcookie1982
06-11-2008, 12:15 AM
In the future I hope to be able to help out part time with Tots, and low level LTS students, and was wondering what the pay was like. Do you make ok money teaching LTS, or do people mostly do it for a discount on ice time, etc? I'm basically a SAHM, and would just be doing this to make some extra cash to help with some of the bills.

jskater49
06-11-2008, 06:42 AM
We pay $10-15 an hour for experienced LTS coaches. Helpers are volunteers.

SynchroSk8r114
06-11-2008, 07:26 AM
I make $34/hour teaching LTS classes, a bit less than I make doing privates. I also recieve a more-than-50% discount on freestyle sessions paying $6/hour rather than the $13.00/hour regular ice time.

Our helpers, on the other hand, are also volunteers, often under 18 years old, who get volunteer hours rather than pay. I don't think they get a discount on ice time, but I could be wrong.

w.w.west
06-11-2008, 08:00 AM
It really depends on what part of the country you are from. Coaches on the West Coast generally have a higher rate, but the cost of living is higher there too. Here in the Midwest, it varies from rink to rink. At my home club, the LTS is run by the Parks and Rec. dept. Last year, the coaches LTS rate was $14 an hour. At the private run rink where I teach, it is based on experience and PSA ratings. It starts at $10 and goes up to the upper $20's. My pay increased $4/hour when I passed the BA exam. When I get a Registered rating, it will go up again. If you don't take the exams, you still get increases depending on how long you have been there, but it is not as substantial. Coaches also get to skate for free on public skate and freestyle sessions.

Query
06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Wow. What a regional difference!

I pay $72/hour for privates - about middle rates for the Washington, DC area - don't think anyone charges under $60. An experienced group lesson teacher was paid $45 / hour. Am told it's higher in Boston.

There are a lot of people here eager to teach, so rinks can be picky about whom they pick and allow. Most have USFSA gold (non-adult track) test level, plus friendship with the figure skating director.

Perhaps you should ask your coach and figure skating director if you could expect employment before starting the multi-year effort to get referred, certified and insured, and ask the rinks which certifications and insurance you need?

Wish I were good enough... I can and do volunteer. It's fun and challenging, but no money.

Some people work (for about $8/hour) as rink guards and cashiers, a few work for a bit more in pro shops, and I know one who makes custom skating dresses.