View Full Version : Jump & Spin Events for Adults

jskater49
06-10-2008, 11:51 AM
So I'm putting together our announcement for our fall competition and I'm dividing up the adult categories for our spin and jump events. Because I never can compete adults because they put them all together and I can't do the higher level stuff....

I would like some feedback from silver and gold level adults as to how these requirements sound...I'll list them all so you can see the progression. And yes I designed the pre-bronze pretty much for me but we actually have quite a few adults in our club who would be able to compete with those requirements..(and you can skate up if it's too easy for you)

Spins
Pre-bronze: Pivot, Two foot spin (3 rev), One foot upright (3 rev)

Bronze: One foot upright (4 rev), Back spin (3 rev) Sit spin (3 rev)

Silver: Scratch spin (5 rev) Camel spin (3 rev) Combination spin

Gold Combination (one change of foot and one change of position 4 rev each foot) Camel spin (5 rev) Layback (4 Rev)

Jumps:

Pre-bronze: Half lutz or half flip, waltz Jump
Bronze: Salchow, waltz jump/toe loop combination
Silver: Lutz, single/single combination
Gold: Axel jump single/loop combination

We probably won't get any silver and gold adults ...but I'd like to offer something reasonable just in case. Also, in the higher levels we requre 2 jumps and a combination so I don't know if I should add another jump to the silver and gold levels.

Thanks

j

Skittl1321
06-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I know this isn't what you asked for (I'm not an upper level adult) but in the PB requirement- is the pivot allowed forward OR backward? If you only want one, I'd specifiy which. (If I were you, I'd pick backward...)

For prebronze jumps- I would make one of the jumps a full jump, rather than having both of the required jumps a half jump. So one half jump, and one single jump. That's still keeping it very inline with the test standard.

Ellyn
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm answering as a bronze-level skater who has competed (and placed last in) a silver spin event.

Spins
Pre-bronze: Pivot, Two foot spin (3 rev), One foot upright (3 rev)

Bronze: One foot upright (4 rev), Back spin (3 rev) Sit spin (3 rev)

Silver: Scratch spin (5 rev) Camel spin (3 rev) Combination spin

Gold Combination (one change of foot and one change of position 4 rev each foot) Camel spin (5 rev) Layback (4 Rev)

The revolutions are minimums, right?

Are the one change of foot and one change of position for the gold combo also minimums, or do you expect exactly one change of each and if so can they be done at the same time or separately? What do you expect for the silver combo? You should add wording to clarify, so skaters know what's expected of them.

I would suggest something like "One change of position; change of foot optional" for silver and "One change of foot and at least one change of position" for gold. Or you could leave it even more up to the skater's choice and say "At least one change of foot and at least one change of position."

Jumps:

Pre-bronze: Half lutz or half flip, waltz Jump
Bronze: Salchow, waltz jump/toe loop combination
Silver: Lutz, single/single combination
Gold: Axel jump single/loop combination

We probably won't get any silver and gold adults ...but I'd like to offer something reasonable just in case. Also, in the higher levels we requre 2 jumps and a combination so I don't know if I should add another jump to the silver and gold levels.

Are these to be done one at a time as isolated jumps or sequentially with connecting moves between them? (Same question applies to the spins, BTW.)

You might consider including three jump elements at bronze as well as silver and gold. As it stands, the bronze jump elements are not much of a challenge (except that waltz-toe loop is kind of an awkward transition -- single jump-toe loop combination might be easier), but skating up to silver might not be an option for a skater who's stuck on the lutz.

Debbie S
06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
As it stands, the bronze jump elements are not much of a challenge (except that waltz-toe loop is kind of an awkward transition -- single jump-toe loop combination might be easier), but skating up to silver might not be an option for a skater who's stuck on the lutz.That would be me, lol. ;)

I would take the elements straight from each level's FS test, which it looks like you've done, and I would have 3 jumps at each level in the jumps events.

Peach Classic offers spin and jump events at each level - you might want to take a look at that announcement - there's a thread here somewhere.

I might change the scratch spin in Silver Spins to a sit spin. And I would add a toe loop to Pre-Bronze Jumps and a loop to Bronze. For Silver and Gold, I don't know - maybe a flip in Silver and lutz in Gold?

jskater49
06-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback --I will go back and look at the Peach classic...around here if they even have spins and jumps for adults - they just put them all together with basically bronze level stuff.

Regarding pre-bronze jumps--I'm making it VERY easy because we have some no-test adults who haven't competed much or at all and they don't do toe loops and I want to get them to enter...but we don't really have enough to have a no test and pre-bronze category. Besides when they did toe loops at pre bronze at the last competition I was at - they all did toe waltzes. Me included :-)

j

jskater49
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Ellyn;368039]I'm answering as a bronze-level skater who has competed (and placed last in) a silver spin event.

The revolutions are minimums, right?

Are the one change of foot and one change of position for the gold combo also minimums, or do you expect exactly one change of each and if so can they be done at the same time or separately? What do you expect for the silver combo? You should add wording to clarify, so skaters know what's expected of them.

Are these to be done one at a time as isolated jumps or sequentially with connecting moves between them? (Same question applies to the spins, BTW.)

The jumps event is just jump - you get two tries, just jump, no fancy stuff. The spins comp has connecting moves are allowed but they don't count.

j

quarkiki2
06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, there's an event that I might actually be competitive, LOL! As a pre-bronze, too. Except for the waltz jump, which I simply cannot get into the air due to insane fear.

jskater49
06-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, there's an event that I might actually be competitive, LOL! As a pre-bronze, too. Except for the waltz jump, which I simply cannot get into the air due to insane fear.

Yup...that's the pre-bronze skater I'm trying to get to compete...so it's not so intimidating.

I did go back and just copy word for word from the Peach Classic for Silver and Gold. And I added inside forward or backward for the pivot. Thanks everyone!

j

Skittl1321
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Well if quarkiki would compete a waltz jump, I guess I can do a half-flip. I just hate half jumps- they are so ackward. Unfortunately I can't compete up to Bronze. Not allowed to do sit spins.

When's the competition? Quarkiki- wanna go on a roadtrip? I know you have a program now :)
It's gonna come down to cost though...

melthread
06-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I just saw this in a basic skills event for our club. I hope this helps (all formatting was deleted....yikes).

SPINS:
All levels are skated on one half of the ice surface. No music. Spins must be skated exactly as stated but may be skated in any order. Connecting steps may be used, but excessive moves will be penalized.

LEVEL REQUIRED SPINS (minimum revolutions)
Adult Pre-Bronze One-foot forward upright (3), Two-foot spin (3), pivot
Adult Bronze One-foot forward upright (3), One-foot back spin (3), Sit spin or broken leg or attitude spin (3)

JUMPS
All levels are skated on one half of the ice surface. No music. Jumps must be skated exactly as stated. Skaters will have two opportunities to perform each jump, and may perform it once or twice. The best of
the two attempts will be judged.

LEVEL REQUIRED JUMPS
Adult Pre-Bronze Waltz jump, Waltz - toe loop combination, Half flip jump
Adult Bronze Salchow, Loop, Single-single combination

jskater49
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Well if quarkiki would compete a waltz jump, I guess I can do a half-flip. I just hate half jumps- they are so ackward. Unfortunately I can't compete up to Bronze. Not allowed to do sit spins.

When's the competition? Quarkiki- wanna go on a roadtrip? I know you have a program now :)
It's gonna come down to cost though...

It's Sat Nov 1 in Ames...and we are very cheap - $85 for the first event, $25 for other events...that's pretty cheap compared to most places...and the hotels around here are cheap.

Come and compete at pre-bronze and I promise you wont be last because I'll be competing. But I do have a pretty good half-lutz.

j

jskater49
06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Nope I'm holding firm. NO TOE LOOPS for pre-bronze! If I have to do this freaking job, this is my one perk. No toe loops!

j

Skittl1321
06-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Nope I'm holding firm. NO TOE LOOPS for pre-bronze! If I have to do this freaking job, this is my one perk. No toe loops!

j

Maybe you could just specify a toe waltz? (Make a flutz a requirement for another level)

:mrgreen:

jskater49
06-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Maybe you could just specify a toe waltz? (Make a flutz a requirement for another level)

:mrgreen:

The last (and only) jumps event I did had a toe loop and it was good for me because I spent all this time working on a toe loop...but then I was so so nervous because it was something new for me....so everyone did a toe waltz but they actually jumped. I just pretty much stuck my toe in the ice, spun around in the ice and changed feet.

j

singerskates
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
In Skate Canada Western Ontario Section we don't have jump and spin only events for adult skaters. We just have couples compulsary dance, pairs, ladies singles freeskate, mens singles freeskate, ladies interpretive and mens interpretive. It would be interesting to have jump events and spins events.

Morgail
06-11-2008, 12:05 PM
The only suggestion I'd have would be to replace the lutz in Silver jumps with a flip (or a loop), simply because lutz isn't required to pass the Silver test. If you keep the lutz, you'd be cutting out those who skate at test level. Plus, those who can do lutz can choose to do it in the combination jump.

jskater49
06-11-2008, 01:53 PM
The only suggestion I'd have would be to replace the lutz in Silver jumps with a flip (or a loop), simply because lutz isn't required to pass the Silver test. If you keep the lutz, you'd be cutting out those who skate at test level. Plus, those who can do lutz can choose to do it in the combination jump.

I cjhanged that and used the Peach Classic for silver and gold and I think they had a flip and the lutz was in gold.