View Full Version : What was the first move you tried when you first stepped on the ice?

FSWer
06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Ok Kids!!!! I don't think this has ever been discussed. But what I want to ask you to is....What was the first move you tried the first time you ever got on ice? For me...I'll tell ya!!!! I tried spinning right when I first stepped on the ice for the first time at Learn to Skate and stund my coach. Ok.....anybody else?

Clarice
06-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Other than just plain forward skating, I suppose I tried backwards skating first. And mohawks, because that's the way I naturally figured out how to turn from forwards to backwards. Those are things I just kind of learned how to do as a kid pond skating in the winter, though. The first "real" figure skating move I tried to learn was the three turn. I had really bad skates, and had a terrible time with it.

coskater64
06-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Other than standing up?

Rusty Blades
06-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Other than standing up?

**RB raises her hand!** ME TO!

The first couple of times on the ice just standing up and moving forward was a major challenge! The only thing that carried forward from kiddie skating (36 years earlier) was the one-foot hockey stop - don't know how/why I remembered how to do that and nothing else, unless it was for self-preservation!

Thin-Ice
06-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Attempting to let go of the wall..... for longer than 2 seconds :roll:

(Actually, the first time I went skating all I wanted to do was make it once around the rink (skating forward!) without falling or having to hold onto the wall all the way. This was a sixth-grade graduation party. (One of the other teachers at our elementary school owned the rink and let our class have the place to ourselves for the afternoon.) After only 3 hours of trying, I DID do one entire lap of the rink without falling or having to grab the wall. It may have been my proudest athletic moment, considering I was (and probably still am) the family klutz!

jazzpants
06-10-2008, 12:26 PM
**RB raises her hand!** ME TO!Me THREE!!! :twisted: Then it was the same as Thin-Ice... letting go of the wall for more than 2 seconds!!! :P Of course, this was when I was a little kid...

Rusty Blades
06-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Attempting to let go of the wall..... for longer than 2 seconds :roll:

LOL! My first venture on to the ice was a community outdoor rink with NO WALLS - never had that problem (but have had lots of others! 8O )

kimberley801
06-14-2008, 07:06 PM
The first move I ever tried was NOT FALLING! :lol:

Sessy
06-15-2008, 10:33 AM
The bellyflop. :mrgreen:
I had two-bladed skates at first, those obviously didn't have toepicks. When mom put me in figure skates (on a pond) with toepicks, that's the first thing I noticed. Then I did a few sideways falls and discovered there was only one blade per skate underneath them so... yeah.

Skating Jessica
06-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I was 8 years old and enrolled in USFSA group lessons. Like most skaters, I first learned how to march across the ice...and of course, how to fall correctly. ;)

Skate@Delaware
06-15-2008, 07:19 PM
The first move I ever tried was NOT FALLING! :lol:
aw, man! you took my answer!

sue123
06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
The very first time I got on the ice? I tried the "catch-the-dad" move. I was young, around 5, I think, and my dad laced up my skates and jumped on the ice. He was always a few paces ahead of me, and kept moving backwards as I moved forwards, but I didn't do too badly.