View Full Version : Private or Group Lessons 9 yr. beta daughter

nicolymiko
06-09-2008, 08:55 PM
My 9 year old daughter will be starting to learn back crossovers (beta). The rink where she has been taking skating lessons (group & private) will be closed for the summer. I am thinking of group lessons or private lessons at either Chelsea Piers Sky Rink or at the Westchester Skating Academy once I figure out the scheduling. Given her summer schedule, she can only participate in one of either--group lessons or private lessons. Would private or gorup lessons be a better choice for a 9 year old at beta level? Which one would she make more progress with during the 3-4 months? Also, since she has not taken lessons at either Sky Rink or Westchester Skaing Academy, does anyone have a suggestions or comments to share?

:yum:

dbny
06-09-2008, 10:10 PM
I PM'ed you about it.

jcookie1982
06-09-2008, 11:26 PM
She would probably make more progress in privates, but I would just stick with group lessons for a bit longer. Group lessons are fine for learning the basics, and will save you some money for a while, until she really needs the privates.

littlekateskate
06-10-2008, 07:46 AM
I think at nine she would benefit from groups just as much as privates and save you money.

I do privates because DD is too young to actually figure out what the group coach is saying. And a lot of times needs someone to actually get down and move her feet for her :)

But a nine year old should have the ability to listen and process what a coach is saying. As wellt he motivation to work hard on their own if the instructor is with another student! :)

Good luck

SynchroSk8r114
06-10-2008, 08:21 AM
As a coach, I usually do not recommend privates until a skater is in the Delta level (or Gamma depending on the student). I have had students begin privates with me at the Alpha and Beta levels, but usually they're not doing group lessons. So, I agree with others: save your money while you can, LOL! Unless the group classes are so poorly instructed or overcrowded, I'm sure your daughter will be fine in groups for now.