View Full Version : Cool ice or burning heat June 8-14

liz_on_ice
06-09-2008, 08:15 AM
It's a heat wave in NY. Are you skating in the nice cool rink, or wilting outside in the sun?

did no one practice on the 8th? I don't see a thread.

Cool ice: I made it to the rink this morning, had a nice practice. Spins have been just terrible lately, but I did some decent work on them. Jumps too. Finished up with a really nice program runthrough.

burning heat I love my job, but it has been a lot harder to schedule practice time. Many skills have fallen off. I switch to summer coach next week, hopefully the change in perspective will kick me back into gear.

abbi_1990
06-09-2008, 12:04 PM
2 weeks today till i test my Level 1 field moves.

Had my blades sharpened on friday, and skated in them for the 1st time today. I couldnt stop!!! Just what i needed - NOT!

Im not really ready for this test, was supposed to do it in September, but i cant so i have to do it now. Fingers crossed i pass.

Coach really tortured me on the spirals - Faster, higher, and push!

Crossovers in figure of 8 were okish, the actual crossovers were good but the transition from backwards to forwards and from backwards CCW to backwards CW needs work on.

Edges were ok, just need to work on my posture, making sure i keep my shoulders back and chin up.

Back crossovers to outside edge were good. Need to start in the centre of the circle and to 2 pushes and then a LFO 3turn before starting the crossovers.

RachelSk8er
06-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Burning Heat: LOTS OF IT....basically any spot on my body not covered by my bathing suit yesterday. Went to Soak City (waterpark @ Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio) yesterday with my mom, since we have season passes to CP, it was hot, and we had nothing better to do. I had on sunscreen, it was waterproof, but today I'm burned, itchy, feeling sick, wanted to call in sick to work but didn't want to waste a day of PTO. So I'm sitting here in a dress and cardigan (because as much as it hurts to have my arms covered, I'm FREEZING) and all I want is my bed. If one more of my coworkers points out that I got sun over the weekend, I am going to scream. I'm glad I don't have to skate today because I don't want to even think of how much it would hurt to put on tights and skating clothes.

More burning heat: Got home from CP only to find that 3 of my 4 summer sessions were cancelled due to low registrations. The two Saturday morning sessions, and one of the two Wednesday evening sessions. So I had to scramble to find new ice because most summer ice time schedules aren't very helpful to adults with jobs (the rest is 8am-5pm M-F)...and the corporate world doesn't seem to understand that figure skating is necessary in order for me to maintain my sanity at work.

Cool ice: Luckily, I discovered that another local rink has ice from 8am-1:30pm on Saturdays. And since it's all walk-on for $10/hr, if I have a week I can't go or if I want to sleep in a bit, I can. And I can skate for more than 2 hrs if I'm feeling extra energetic. The rink is a little farther than my normal one (a whopping 15 min versus my normal 5 min drive), but at least it's one of the nice rinks.

My 3 week hiatus from skating ends Wednesday...woo hoo!

Helen88
06-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I practiced on the 8th but I couldn't think of a decent thread title :oops:. So this is for yesterday.

Perfect Temp.
Today was my first session in a skirt!. I was panicking cos I thought it looked really frumpy and makeshift but it worked okay.

Cool Ice [Kinda...]:
Then we did a run-through of the test…which I’m testing a week tomorrow :o. Little things, little things…I should be fine. *Nervous face…*

Burning Heat:
Uh…spirals – not happening. It’s gonna take an army of coaches to get my left hip to turn out. Or a hip transplant. One or the other. :]. Need to turn my foot/hip out before lifting it, but then keep it turned out, rather than letting it drop.

Cool Ice:
I have an extra lesson on Tuesday as test-prep so we’ll see how things go.

jazzpants
06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Liz, I tried to think of a cool thread but couldn't think of one... so here's my note for yesterday:

COOL ICE:
I had a good jump day! Landed a BUNCH of clean lutzes and flips and they had a nice pop up too!!! Even weirder, they felt EASY!!! This is weird!!! I must be dreaming...

Starting making some headway in fixing my toe-waltzing problem.

Have all 8 of the 3turns on a line!!! Yes, I can do BI3's now!!! WOO HOO!!! (And I also didn't do too bad of a FO bracket either...) ;) Now to see if I could keep it consistently enough that I could start trying it on the pattern for the Silver Moves/Pre-Juv Moves test...

And YAAAAAY!!! I start choreography for my new interp program THIS WEEK!!! :bow: :mrgreen:

Burning Heat:
"That time of the month" took away my sit spin... well, at least I had a harder time at the beginning trying to go down as far as I can go at the beginning of the session. I sorta got a lower sit spin towards the end of the session though.

Camel spins is :frus: I will get this spin, I SWEAR!!! :frus:

Skittl1321
06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
No heat wave here (it's just a very humid 80 or so) but major concerns about flooding...

Cool ice I went skating today! Getting to the rink on Mondays is an accomplishment. I gave myself 30 minutes to skate, then I had to go to the gym, and once I type this off to Pilates.

I ran through all my moves, did all my jumps, and worked on my spins. A very productive 30 minutes.

Forward power crossovers feel great. Back power crossovers, and back crossovers to outside edges felt good, but I'm having problems with getting the exact number of lobes right. I prefer patterns that say 3-6 or whatever, getting the right number in is impossible for me. They were REALLY slow today, but the ice was awful- I can blame that, right?

Waltz jumps were good until one of the guys started practicing his- they fly halfway across the rink and made mine feel even more puny than they already are. Flip feels more natural but I'm two-footing everytime. I need someone to watch, because I'm not entirely sure if I'm just two footing or if I'm doing that last half of the rotation on ice. Toe loop feels okay- how do I make these jumps leave the ice?

Heat wave 5 step mohawk and power 3s on the bad side were awful. They would be embarassing to test.

No salchow. I blame the blades.

I had a really bad fall and now it hurts to sit down. It was one of those stupid just standing there and suddenly you're down on the ice falls. But since I've fallen off the back of my blades skating a few times, and fell down off the back just standing there I'm prayihg that Ultima gets their backordered blades out soon. These ones are starting to prove dangerous I think. With the amount of "junk in my trunk" I would have thought I was better padded, but OUCH it hurts. I hate the falls that go up my spine and hurt my neck. If skating becomes a neck risk, I'll have to stop, and I don't want to do that I made myself skate for about 5 more minutes after falling, to get the shakes out and not scare myself away from the sport, but thankfully the fall was about 20 minutes into the time I had, so I didn't loose too much practice time.

stacyf419
06-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Sorry for your fall Jessi - those jolty ones are a b*tch.

Update on my fall - I went to the doctor and I had a mild concussion - no skull fracture. I felt nauseous and dizzy and 'not quite right' for a few more days. Today is the first day I feel slightly normal. I'm trying out the ice again tomorrow night, and hopefully won't feel scared to try the loop again. If I have my blades filed down a bit (I had the sharpener do a deeper hollow this time for the first time, and I'm not adjusting well to it after a week), I'm thinking I'll feel a bit more secure.

Terri C
06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Glad you made it to the doctor and feeling better, Stacy!

I skated yesterday- went to power class. Given the 100 degree heat and heat advisories outside, it was the only exercise I was going to get.

Now today- spins were great, but jumps were awful. Will only have a lessson with Primary Coach this week and am so going to beg her for more time to work on jumps.

Skittl1321
06-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Sorry for your fall Jessi - those jolty ones are a b*tch.

Update on my fall - I went to the doctor and I had a mild concussion - no skull fracture. I felt nauseous and dizzy and 'not quite right' for a few more days. Today is the first day I feel slightly normal. I'm trying out the ice again tomorrow night, and hopefully won't feel scared to try the loop again. If I have my blades filed down a bit (I had the sharpener do a deeper hollow this time for the first time, and I'm not adjusting well to it after a week), I'm thinking I'll feel a bit more secure.

Glad you're feeling a bit better. Did your doctor say it was okay to go back to the ice tomorrow? A second concussion right after the first carries much higher risks, so even though it's unlikely, and yours was mild, usually you are cautioned to not do too much high risk activity for a few weeks.

stacyf419
06-09-2008, 06:54 PM
You know I can't remember what she said about when to resume skating!! I was kind of out of it. I will call her tomorrow and check in first. That would be a big bummer - I have the adult camp in Hackensack at the end of the month and I was determined to solidify my flip and loop!!! :evil:
Oh well, better to be safe.

flo
06-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Cool....the only cool place around here is he rink. It's sweltering outside. My partner and I had a good session and are looking forward to getting something choreographed.

Sweltering - the rest of Baltimore.

jskater49
06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Burning Heat...

Summer ice camp...

15 minutes of off ice- basically running around the parking lot with little kids, I did not think this was such a good idea...

20 minutes off ice jumps...

Then It was time to put our skates on for power...but I was sore already...

Half hour power class - then an hour and a half of freestyle...and my lesson was the last half hour. I had to take my skates off and rest for 15 minutes. Maybe tomorrow I'll make it the whole time.

Or maybe I won't be able to get out of bed

Lesson -

Cool Ice -- we worked on my spin and I was actually able to pull my arm and leg around at the same time.

And I have graduated to taking one stroke and then doing a 3 turn for my intro steps for back crossovers and back landing position in my moves. Coach was most impressed and said the 3 turn was really queit. "That's because I remembered to streatch my shoulders out" She was flabbergasted and said she was going home she was so shocked I actually remembered something she told me to do

Back crossovers to outside back edge - her only complaint was on my left leg I tend to put my free leg out to the side and not behind and that gets me off the edge and off pattern.

Power 3s - 3 turns are beautiful but I need to push more to make the crossover side of the circle bigger.

Mohawks ...just need to get on the #3 edge quicker. She said I actually do better on my bad side -- that's because I've worked on that so much for the swing dance.

I am going to be sooo sore tomorrow.

j

dbny
06-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Stacy - Glad you went to the doc and glad you are going to call about returning to the ice. Too many people do take concussion seriously enough.

Heat Wave:
Is what we are having here! I can't think of a better place to be than the rink.

Found out today that a young adult skater who is a college student and waitressing for $ had her blades ruined by one of the kids at our rink. He rounded the tails of her blades 8O. I tell all of my students to let only one person sharpen them (initials C M), but she isn't my student and didn't ask anyone.

Cool Ice:
Had a really good lesson Friday, with more progress on F threes and figures. Coach saw me doing F cross strokes before my lesson, and has upped the ante on them for me. I get good speed and nice edges and thought I had them down pat, but now she wants me to really push that edge at the end of each stroke. I can do it! I now hear the rip very clearly and have even more speed on them. This is not something I will be doing for fun when tired :lol:

I'm now practicing almost every weekday for about 2 hours each day. If I'm very tired, I just do figures and F threes. Today after about half an hour of FO 8's, I moved on to the BO 8's. Struggled a bit with the rotation, but managed to get around the circles most of the time. I've taken my F 3 turn practice to another level by trying to do the figures. I have not yet managed to get back to the start for the next circle, but today I did one perfect and perfectly checked FI three, and on Fri did one perfectly checked FO three that would have gotten back to the start except some random skater cut me off :evil:.

Finally got myself back to BO threes today after neglecting them since getting my blades sharpened. They really feel easy, except for the fear factor. I love the feeling of pressing thighs together, pointing toe, shoulders rotated, bend, and turn. While teaching today, I had to demo a FI three, BO three, FI three sequence for a student who wants to enter her loop that way. I said a silent prayer and did it!

singerskates
06-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Burning Heat: It was humid and repressively hot outside. It was even hot in the rink and super damp. And the compressor was either shut off or not working right because the ice felt like cotton balls and glue. My blades just stuck to the ice. It was like skating on icing on cake that has been taken out of the fridge and then left out in the heat. The blades didn't really cut the ice but rather they skimmed the very top layer of the ice. It took me several attempts of my Salchow to actually get a proper take off. I kept skidding instead of taking off of the three turn.

I'm falling asleep so I'll write more in the morning.

ibreakhearts66
06-10-2008, 01:14 AM
we've got a heat wave here in Los Angeles too.

Cool ice
-double flips were super solid today. i even managed some 2flip2loop combos
-i was able to change edges on a back camel. i only held it like 3 revs, but usually i get like 1/2 a rev then fall.
-some of my 2axel attempts felt pretty good. i asked my coach if it would take me years to be able to land one (because it was feeling like i would never be able to) and she said "no way." so hopefully there will be 2axel in the not-too-distant future
-my coach said my moves look good. hopefully i'm testing this saturday (my birthday!)

Burning heat
Took some really nasty falls. One on a 2flip2loop. i landed the 2loop, but then caught my edge or something and flew up and smashed my elbow. it's all bruised and swollen. smacked my hand really hard as well (also bruised and swollen).

Thin-Ice
06-10-2008, 03:35 AM
Cool Ice: (snip) I'm now practicing almost every weekday for about 2 hours each day. If I'm very tired, I just do figures and F threes. Today after about half an hour of FO 8's, I moved on to the BO 8's. Struggled a bit with the rotation, but managed to get around the circles most of the time. I've taken my F 3 turn practice to another level by trying to do the figures. I have not yet managed to get back to the start for the next circle, but today I did one perfect and perfectly checked FI three, and on Fri did one perfectly checked FO three that would have gotten back to the start except some random skater cut me off :evil:.

Finally got myself back to BO threes today after neglecting them since getting my blades sharpened. They really feel easy, except for the fear factor. I love the feeling of pressing thighs together, pointing toe, shoulders rotated, bend, and turn. While teaching today, I had to demo a FI three, BO three, FI three sequence for a student who wants to enter her loop that way. I said a silent prayer and did it!

CONGRATULATIONS!! It sounds like you are making huge amounts of progress!

katz in boots
06-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Good Luck with the test 1BreakHearts66 !!! And happy birthday for Saturday !!!

Cool Ice:
Very cool, it's winter down here at the bottom of the world!

Building on my experiments with what I call "rag roll" spins, ie being very relaxed on entry, my spins were much better on Sunday.
Even did some sit spins that felt reasonable, and one change edge camel - not great, but at least the change happened, which it hasn't for a while.

Also accidentally rediscovered that my upright backspins work much better from a slightly shorter, straighter entry edge. Coach insists I work on the longer, curvier edge, but the shorter one yields consistently better results.

Burning Heat:
Well, hot, they're not, but my jumps are coming. Still struggling with the take offs of most jumps since switching to the new boots & blades, but even though they're not great, at least most of them are getting off the ice now. next will be getting them consistent again and getting loops off them.

oh, one more Cool Ice: I did a lutz that wasn't a flutz! Wasn't a good jump, but at least the take off tracing was pretty!

jazzpants
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Cool Ice:
All my 3's are still there, though I can't seemed to get them to pattern yet. This time I know my primary coach is watching. I saw him watching me do those 3's when he thinks I wasn't watching him.
I did a slew of crossovers and mohawks at faster speed when I was able to. My primary coach had better noticed... I intentionally used him as a obstacle in my speed obstacle course!!! (Hey! He always GRIPED that I was AFRAID of crashing into someone when I got within 10 feet of someone... :twisted: :P :lol: )
Spins are there for the most part. I'm getting over on that FO edge more on the spin entry to the camel and STAYING on it longer now! I think I even managed one good camel... so that's a blessing for me! :mrgreen:Burning heat:

Opted not to push for jumps today since a "certain relative" is here... :roll: I did push for sit spins though and THAT was hard with "that relative" around. I'm probably gonna take it easy and NOT do my workout today. I'm feeling VERY SLUGGISH!!! And I have to save my energy for my lesson with my secondary coach and....

REALLY COOL ICE:
... my brand new choreographer!!! My first session is tomorrow!!! So looking forward to it!!! :mrgreen:

singerskates
06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Continuation of Monday's Part two: Like I was saying, the ice was horrible. Everything took extra effort. I couldn't get my edges to rip because it was so slushy on top. Stopping had me just barly able to grab the ice with my blades because the slop just was stripping off of the top too easy.

There was no way for me to play my program music because my coach wasn't there and they had the music pipped in from the arena stereo.

Spins were traveling all over.

I didn't try the flip, loop or lutz.

It seems that rink A will be getting their ice out soon. I just hope not too soon.

Lukewarm:

Three turns and mohawks were OK. My waltz and toe loops were so so.

Cool: almost had the ice to myself the last 15 minutes of the session. Was able to practice the opening of my freeskate a few times.

But then if they take out the rink A ice, they will have to put the so called Public ice for the rest of June in rink B of which is being kept better care because the Tecumseh Summer Skating School is being run on it. Hmmmm?

Helen88
06-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Ice:

Really, really, really good session. Extra lesson went really well...sorted out the stuff I was worried about too.And it was just a really good session for some reason :D

Oh, and my kindaselftaughtkindawobbly salchow got real praise!

HEAT:

It's boiling outside and I hate the heat :giveup:

Stormy
06-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Ice: Did good axels, and great spins! Also practiced my Novice moves for the first time in ages, with a promise to myself to work on them every session.

Also, got my new (well, new used) boots in. I found a pair of Reidell 1500s in my size, 3 1/2 kids on eBay and I figured I'd take a chance with the thought if they didn't fit I'd just resell them. I was pleasantly surprised that they fit and aren't broken down at all! They fit well on the floor, now I just have to get a pair of blades to put on and actually skate on them. I'm done with my Ultima blades, I'm going back to Wilsons.

Heat: 2 footed every double sal I tried. After landing them last week, this was a real dissapointment. :(

I'm testing my Gold Free again on Monday, and I feel good about it! We put in a different set up for the axel that I am 100% comfortable with. Plus, two of the judges are a husband and wife who have judged me for years and know my skating. So I am really confident with this one!!

jskater49
06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Day two of Summer Ice Camp Hell

It's either going to get better or it's going to kill me....

So at the end of off ice warm up the coach asks "is there anything else anyone else would like to work on?" and one girl pipes up - Yea - let's do a charlotte stretch."..and all these little girls promptly turn upside down with their legs up in the air...some of us older ladies settled for a plain old spiral stretch...

Today was Moves class rather than power and that was fun...did these back cross strokes but you go on an inside edge and cross in front...I worked on those mostly against the wall...and we made hearts - with a bracket (? I think) for the v on the bottom and a back 3 turn for the top...but of course I can't do a back 3 turn or a bracket unless I'm holding on to the wall.

I only lasted about 45 minutes of the hour and half FS session after that...my excuse was I had a meeting right after and I needed to get some dinner before.

I worked on some jumps and I do think the off ice jumps class are making difference already...felt like I was actually getting up in the air.

I think I will take some Ibruprofen before camp tomorrow...

j

doubletoe
06-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Ice: Did good axels, and great spins! Also practiced my Novice moves for the first time in ages, with a promise to myself to work on them every session.

Also, got my new (well, new used) boots in. I found a pair of Reidell 1500s in my size, 3 1/2 kids on eBay and I figured I'd take a chance with the thought if they didn't fit I'd just resell them. I was pleasantly surprised that they fit and aren't broken down at all! They fit well on the floor, now I just have to get a pair of blades to put on and actually skate on them. I'm done with my Ultima blades, I'm going back to Wilsons.

Heat: 2 footed every double sal I tried. After landing them last week, this was a real dissapointment. :(

I'm testing my Gold Free again on Monday, and I feel good about it! We put in a different set up for the axel that I am 100% comfortable with. Plus, two of the judges are a husband and wife who have judged me for years and know my skating. So I am really confident with this one!!

How awesome that you managed to get good boots that fit you and aren't broken down! But what size did you say again?!
I'm excited about your Gold test, especially since you are feeling so good about that axel! Be sure to tell us how it goes! :D

Thin-Ice
06-11-2008, 02:40 AM

Good luck on Monday! We'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

By the way, are you in an area where there are very few judges? In our area, two related judges are not allowed to be on the same test panel unless it's an emergency situation (i.e. another judge goes home sick and the test would otherwise have to be canceled). I guess it has to do with the appearance of conflict of interest.

But it is always nice to know you have "friendly" judges who are familiar with your skating on your test panel! Again, best wishes!

Skittl1321
06-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Still no heat wave here, but i'm more and more worried about the extensive flooding (which thus far hasn't affected me directly).

Burning heat I'm in SO much pain from my fall on Monday. My tailbone is mostly okay, it and my "sit bones" only hurt when I rock back on them, like to tie a bootlace- but just sitting is okay. But all the muscles in my back have totally knotted up and I have a greatly decreased range of motion due to it.

Skating wise- the backspin is totally gone. I don't have anywhere on the blade to spin, and even on a 2 foot spin I can feel the blade dragging differently than normal. Blades are backordered and rink still hasn't called to ask for a date. One of the women said she'd call today. If it's gonna be a long time I'm calling rainbo sports and just getting paramounts instead. (The Lite is also backordered there too- I haven't found anyone who keeps it in stock, and Ultima doesn't have any right now.) I need new blades before I lose everything!

Cool Ice
Even though I was going slowly because of my backpain, I got a compliment on my forward crossovers :) And I was getting some nice ripping sounds one them- always better than the toe pick sounds I tend to get when I skate!

Did some good waltz-toe combinations, and I was told I wasn't toe waltzing the second jump!!!!

Mrs Redboots
06-11-2008, 10:09 AM
No heat-wave here - and we froze in the rink at Villard-de-Lans on Saturday, although it was a bit better on Sunday. Monday in Dijon was wonderful, though, but today in London it's grey and cloudy, although warmer than it was when we went away.

Cool ice: Felt that I skated really well in my lesson and practice afterwards.

Burning heat: My thumb still hurts a lot, and it hurt to drive home (Husband drives down), largely because it hurts to turn the handbrake off! But I managed. Am not looking forward to partnered work, though.

renatele
06-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I had a really bad fall and now it hurts to sit down. <snip> I hate the falls that go up my spine and hurt my neck. If skating becomes a neck risk, I'll have to stop, and I don't want to do that

Oh how I hate falls like that... and now that I have several herniated disks (including a couple in my neck) and being 5'10", falling straight down scares me. I now always wear skatingsafe tailbone pad - have you tried it? Thankfully it's very rare now that I slip straight off the backs of the blades, but couple times that I did, the pad made a huuuge difference. Granted, I always end up with a sweaty bum and I usually need to adjust the pad quite a few times during the session, but I rather put up with that than risk more injury.

Skittl1321
06-11-2008, 11:28 AM
No, right now I don't use any sort of pad, mostly because I don't fall much.(Like this fall was just a standing up doing nothing fall). I'm not training doubles or anything like that- so I'm not sure about the amount of money they cost. (Though the cost of the injury is certainly much higher.)

I think I'll do some forum searchs and see if I can find some information about the different brands. Rainbo sports has a few kinds that seem less expensive- but I'm wondering if it's because they are a lot thicker- and noticable. I'm already quite pear shaped- I don't really think my figure needs to look any more padded than it already does! (Though my bones would probably appreciate it.)

jazzpants
06-11-2008, 02:59 PM
I now always wear skatingsafe tailbone pad - have you tried it? I second the SkatingSafe Tailbone pad. I actually have tried it... literally tried it. Yup! Took a whomping fall on the tailbone and it was my FIRST DAY with the tailbone pad. After the initial 5 minute sting, I was fine and finished the rest of the session (including the God awful lesson with... Mistress Coach I believe at the time) with pretty much no pain.

Skittl1321: If I were you... I would go to a doctor and rule out the possibility that you did NOT fracture your tailbone... for your peace of mind and all. If you are having trouble sitting down on your tailbone... that is a warning flag for me. (I had a similar thing too MANY YEARS back and it DID turn out to be a hairline fracture that I had...)

Burning Heat:

Secondary coach started me on 3's in the field for the Silver Moves test!!! AI YI YI... Needless to say, it was a disaster with the BI3's since I barely got that one.

Cool Ice:

I did get ONE stinkin' BI3's on the pattern towards the end though...

Burning Heat:

Of course, I'm too chicken to try to do the BI3's at speed right now... and unfortunately I NEED speed to get thru that pattern! :frus:

Cool Ice:
Did my very first session with my new choreographer and I already LOVE the choreography he did for me.

Burning Heat:
Unfortunately, the music has to be cut now... and he does NOT cut music! (I know! I know! What kind of choreographer is he if he doesn't have software and CD player to cut music with!?!?!? :evil: ) Secondary coach will be cutting the music.

And depending on whose perspective... it's cool ice or burning heat. (It's burning heat for me since I have too much on my plate as is... one of my goals is to get started on Silver Moves this year.) I'm doing the ISI World things in San Francisco. My debut for the new interp program will not be at Skate San Francisco but at the ISI World thing instead... ONE MONTHS earlier!!! Our esteemed skating director kinda "nudged" me into doing it and this time I told him to talk to my secondary coach about it. She said "Why not? You're working on a new program. Just do artistic and debut the new interp there!!!" Ooooohkay... Looks like primary coach will be doing more coaching and hair for me.... 8O

Meh... I started the choreography now and it should be done by August... and frankly I need something fun to do this summer to keep me out of trouble!!! :twisted:

Kim to the Max
06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
[Cool Ice]
Wasn't supposed to have a lesson with coach last night, but someone didn't show up, so I got my 45 minutes which is good because coach won't be there on Thursday.

We worked on moves and while it was painful, it was good because some things started to click...let's just hope that they still click on Thursday...

[Burning Heat]
Axels and double sals...I get the height, but my legs don't cross and pull in and my arms are a mess...

I agreed to go to the 6:00am session on Friday...why? why? why? Coach is picking me up at 5:35am... why? why? why? well....I figured that I will need to skate that early come fall, so I might was well start to get used to it now... why? why? why? ugh.... coffee is going to be necessary....

Clare
06-11-2008, 05:04 PM
today in London it's grey and cloudy, although warmer than it was when we went away.

You didn't time it wonderfully, weather-wise...Sunday, Monday and yesterday were beautifully warm and sunny :)

Cool ice: Coach was making claims of a breakthrough on my very inconsistent back crossovers this morning. I was desperate not to jinx it by agreeing too much with him but they were strong and smooth again this evening. I am starting tentatively to hope that this actually is the progress I've been waiting for on these.

Burning heat: I was so happy about the back crossovers that I remember nothing bad at all!

Terri C
06-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Cool Ice:

Finally worked with Primary Coach on jumps. She figured out how to make my waltz jumps and salchow higher.
Squeaked out a small, but there loop/toeloop combo.

Burning Heat:

I was under the wild impression that the rink would be empty because of it being the last week of school. Boy was I wrong on that one- the rink was mobbed. We also did not get a ice cut today for whatever reason.
Jumps need work still, period.

RachelSk8er
06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
First day back on the ice after just over 3 weeks...

Cool ice: Jumps were ok. Didn't work on axels but everything else was decent. Not quite as good as before my hiatus, but not horrible. Also did a few pretty good laybacks, camels, and the best camel-catch foot I've ever done.

Burning heat: The rest of my spins. And my program. It sucks and I have approx 17 days to get it back together for GRO (on limited ice time). Didn't have time for my MIF other than the choctaw pattern, didn't have time for dance (only an hour session). And they have a learn-to-skate class going at the end of the rink for the first half of this session...what the heck is up with that!?

dbny
06-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I made it to the rink this morning, had a nice practice.

Was that my rink? A friend told me HelenC, a few others she knows, and someone fitting your description were on one of our morning freestyles. Any chance you'll be coming round on a Sunday? Sat & Sun publics have been relatively empty.

CONGRATULATIONS!! It sounds like you are making huge amounts of progress!

Thank you :)

I'm testing my Gold Free again on Monday, and I feel good about it!!

Good luck on Monday.

Cool Ice:
I did get to the rink yesterday and today. RBO threes are feeling really good and I'm starting to do them with more confidence. BO eights are becoming easier as I adjust to the position after rotation. Although I knew there was no way I could do double three figures, I attempted both R & L FI doubles, and at least was able to do all turns and in approximately the right places.

Burning Heat:
Younger DD went with me yesterday, so not only did I not skate for 2 hours, but I also spent too much time watching her (which is a rare treat these days). Today I spent too much time with one of our teenaged helpers, who was interested in figures, and other stuff. It's fun to compare notes, etc, but I really practice better with no distractions.

Today's LBO threes felt forced and slightly off balance and I couldn't do them except by doing a LFI 3 first.

All of a sudden, I'm having a problem with the RFO circle on FO eights. Just before the halfway point, I feel my foot press on the arch and have to struggle to hold the edge. Part of it, I'm sure, is my free hip and shoulder, but I'm worried that some of it is also the boot. I have an appt with Klingbeil tomorrow morning for heel issues, and will have him look at this too.

kander
06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Cool Ice: Not too much to brag about this week so far. Got my toe loop back after missing it for 2 sessions. The loop seems to be making progress. Did 1 or 2 decent axels. My waltz jumps have been getting pretty good distance (> 7feet) lately.

Burning Heat: Jumps and spins haven't been very good this week. I fell on a salchow and re-ripped open a scab on my forearm (that I originally got from an axel). Now I have a nice 3 inch gash on my arm :(

kander
06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm doing the ISI World things in San Francisco. My debut for the new interp program will not be at Skate San Francisco but at the ISI World thing instead... ONE MONTHS earlier!!!

What's this ISI thing in SF?

abbi_1990
06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
spirals much better today, free leg is high enough and they were faster. coach says the crossovers along the short side of the rink are still not fast enough.

BXO's to outside edge was better, we scrapped the 3turn entrance though, and will just do 2 backward pushes.

outside curves were okay, coach is being quite picky about them as all her skaters have got compliments from the judges about their edges and she wants me to get the same! i think they are passing standard atm but she wants them even better.

inisde curves - same story. need to make sure that i use the full 1/2 width of the rink, and get really good pushes.

crossovers in a figure of 8 - the actual crossovers were good, and the 1st circle was faster today than monday so coach was pleased with that. BUT still need to somehow slowdown after the forward fig of 8 before doing the 3turn into the backwards ones! i have wayyy too much speed, so the 3 turn is kinda jerky. need to work on making BXO's silent.

i think its mostly presentation things and nitty gritty, putting the finishing touches to it.

slowly getting used to the sharpness of my blades......

not doing any freestyle till after the test - too scared about getting injured right before the test. Plus i have exams at college so i really dont need an injury right now.

6 skates and 2 lessons till test day eeek!

jazzpants
06-12-2008, 02:26 PM
What's this ISI thing in SF?
It's the "ISI Adult Championships." It's back in San Francisco this year!!! :mrgreen: And I can't wait to watch our ISI 10 FS guy do his thing. (BTW: for those who don't know... he's our esteemed skating school director too!!! :bow: )

The thing is... I wasn't even planning to do this event!!! I mean, I thought about doing it but thought I had too much on my platter to consider entering this event too. But the compromise is for me to do my one "artistic" number and that's it. I will likely go in as an ISI FS 3, just so I don't get too freaked about it.

Burning Heat:
I don't *get* my primary coach!!! The entire lesson he goes and have me do something, then comes back and makes snide comments... but doesn't have me go back to try to fix it!!! Instead, he has me doing something else!!! I DO NOT GET THIS ENTIRE LESSON!!! :evil: :frus:

Other that that, we did more speed drills today. Forward crossovers, FI mohawk, back crossovers. At one point he got sneaky and yelled "Loop jump" on my back crossovers!!! (I was doing the prelim moves back crossover exercise.) Of course, I wasn't expecting this and went "WHA!?!?!" And then when it registered, he said "You're CHICKEN!!! All I said was to do a loop from the back crossovers!!! What's the matter? Too much speed??? Afraid of falling???"

He IS NUTS!!! :roll: :evil:

Cool ice:

Welll, I'm skating on it??? :mrgreen: And he did admit my crossovers are MUCH MUCH better now!!!

looplover
06-12-2008, 05:17 PM
It's the "ISI Adult Championships." It's back in San Francisco this year!!! :mrgreen: And I can't wait to watch our ISI 10 FS guy do his thing. (BTW: for those who know... he's our esteemed skating school director too!!! :bow: )

The thing is... I wasn't even planning to do this event!!! I mean, I thought about doing it but thought I had too much on my platter to consider entering this event too. But the compromise is for me to do my one "artistic" number and that's it. I will likely go in as an ISI FS 3, just so I don't get too freaked about it.

Oh man I am dying to go! Dying to go back to SF period and I heard ISI adult championships are really fun. Would love to see your ISI 10 guy too.

You should compete in ISI FS4! You have your flip and loop. You can't skate up in ISI so no worries about people doing more than that - there will be no lutz or axel in ISI FS4. The worst part about FS4 is that dance step sequence w/two back inside 3s and you'll have that too (people compete with small lobes...I did, anyway...though they are all supposed to be even)

You'll see a look of joy and relief on every ISI FS4 competitor's face once they finish that RBI 3 in the dance step sequence, lol. :mrgreen:

jazzpants
06-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Oh man I am dying to go! Dying to go back to SF period and I heard ISI adult championships are really fun. Would love to see your ISI 10 guy too.Well, we'll see if he's doing ISI FS 10 this year. Right now he has a slew of women emailing him to ask if they would do a pairs skating with him! :P :lol:

You should compete in ISI FS4! You have your flip and loop. You can't skate up in ISI so no worries about people doing more than that - there will be no lutz or axel in ISI FS4. The worst part about FS4 is that dance step sequence w/two back inside 3s and you'll have that too (people compete with small lobes...I did, anyway...though they are all supposed to be even)

You'll see a look of joy and relief on every ISI FS4 competitor's face once they finish that RBI 3 in the dance step sequence, lol. :mrgreen:
The flip and loop and skating up is NOT what I'm worried about. The #$*&% ISI FS 4 dance step sequence is what I AM worried about -- I barely have those BI3's now. Never mind that I don't have a half loop either...LOL!!! :P

jskater49
06-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Cool Ice

I survived 4 days of Skate Camp...every day 20 minute warm up, 25 minute off ice jumps, 1/2 hour power or moves and 1 1/2 free style. Okay I never managed to skate the entire hour and a half after class but I did pretty good.

Yesterday last day (we have another week in two weeks) and I manged to do the Swing dance to music, mohawks and all and all, no slowing down on time

AND I manged a couple of spins with my leg in front!! First I tried it with my oith my old two foot entrance to get used to it. Then I managed to do it with a one foot edge entry. Now I have to coordinate pulling my arm in with my leg.

icedancer2
06-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Cool ice: I finally got my figure blades mounted on my old boots. Tried to do some figures - yikes!!! Where is that darn toe-pick when you need it?

I finally found the balance and the toe-pick and the blades are very very nice. I wasn't able to do turns (yet) but did some 2-footed LBI3s and they are going to be very much cleaner turns than when I do them in the short dance blades, so that is great!

Burning heat: The old boots that I mounted them on are SO old and floppy and very tight on my feet. The leather has gotten completely stiff (especially the tongue) and all of the foam-rubber stuff has flaked off the tongue. I'm thinking I'd like to try to find another pair of old boots to put them on OR getting the tongue replaced or at least re-lined.

Does anyone know how I could get that done? Would just a regular cobbler be able to do it or would I have to go specifically to a boot-maker? They are SP-Teri's but I don't think Teri would do it because the boots are about 18-years old.

I may be going to NYC sometime this summer - do you guys have any skate shops where they have loads and loads of used but good skates for sale? I would love to try someone else's old floppy skates maybe more than trying to fix these...

Getting fixed up for figures is harder than I thought it would be. It makes me want to just put a pair of FS blades on my dance boots and forget the whole dance blade thing (which I've never really felt completely sure about except for the whole not-stepping-on-my-blade-thing) and just use the same pair of skates for Dance and figures - funny to think that to do that I would have to use a FS blade -- since I don't do any FS although I've also been thinking of trying to do some FS again...

Decisions, decisions.

dbny
06-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Cool ice: The leather has gotten completely stiff (especially the tongue) and all of the foam-rubber stuff has flaked off the tongue.

I once used molefoam to reline a skate boot tongue. It lasted several years and is something you could do while waiting for a better solution.

Skittl1321
06-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Wednesday skating with the synchro team we did some power work. Gosh I need help! It just really highlighted how bad my skating is. I just left with a discouraged feeling. The worst is back cross rolls. I can't even set my foot down.

Today there was no ice- the rink lost power last night and melted. They expect to have ice tomorrow morning. My dance lesson tomorrow has been canceled as my coach is helping a friend evacuate her home. Supposedly we are having LTS- and I've offered to substitute (I don't usually teach Saturday) because my home shouldn't flood, and so many of the roads and bridges around here are closed, so I don't know other coaches will get in. I do not at all understand why LTS hasn't been canceled, and don't see anyone showing up- but getting to the rink isn't an effort for me, so I'm going to be there.

So far, I'm relatively unaffected (work has shut down), but the flooding here is just unimaginable. Flood waters have roads closed less than a mile from here- but our elevation is a good amount higher, so I'm not too worried yet.

icedancer2
06-13-2008, 07:34 PM
I once used molefoam to reline a skate boot tongue. It lasted several years and is something you could do while waiting for a better solution.

Thanks for the tip - I figured someone out there had done something about this... the skates look pretty sorry, but I think I could squeeze a little more life out of them.

And hey - maybe a NYC meetup sometime this summer?
Lisa

techskater
06-13-2008, 08:09 PM
You could always order a tongue from SP Teri to replace them. Take them to a shoe repair place to have them removed and replaced

dbny
06-13-2008, 08:11 PM
And hey - maybe a NYC meetup sometime this summer?
Lisa

I would love to! I'm going to be away from 7/19 thru 8/9 though. Just decided tonight to take 3 weeks vacation. I really can't afford it, but business will be so slow (and no classes) the first week of August, that I may as well just stay on camping. Do you know yet when you might be coming?

Cool Ice:
RBO threes felt so good that I started doing LFI3/RBO3 on the line - just in case I ever pass Prelim MIF. Have been having trouble holding the RFO on the FO eights, and somehow, just a word from my coach put it right. I also got all the way around both circles on the BO eight in my lesson. We spent almost the entire rest of the lesson on FO threes, which are so immensely better, but still not perfect.

Burning Heat:
Coach took a quick look at spins, and I commented that I thought my blade had a glitch in it up by the spin spot. She checked my blades out, and yes, the genius sharpener simply stopped, leaving about 1/2 inch unsharpened right in front of the toepick, and there is a bit of a bump there too. I'm hoping I can fix it with the ProFiler. Coach thinks he was afraid of getting the toepick.

Kim to the Max
06-14-2008, 08:36 AM
For Thursday and Friday:

[Cool Ice]
Had a 15 minute lesson with Coach on Friday morning. We worked on axels and double sals. Axels were much better...Coach let out a little yip when I actually crossed my legs on one of my axels...she says that I am getting tons of height on both jumps, it's just my legs and rotation speed that is screwing me up...I think we finally got my arms sorted out on the double sal, which is good.

Moves are feeling better...still not where I would like them, but I keep working on them :)

[Burning Heat]
Skated yesterday at 6am...first time I've done that in a long time...it was good though...a wonderful way to start my day...as long as I have my coffee...Coach and another coach were laughing because I had my coffee cup and my water bottle on the ice to dehydrate and then to hydrate :)

I am currently fighting with some of my spins...particularly the back camel...

Mrs Redboots
06-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Coach and another coach were laughing because I had my coffee cup and my water bottle on the ice to dehydrate and then to hydrate :)
Doesn't everybody do that? I always do!

phoenix
06-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Heat (I guess that's the bad one?)--failed my Kilian test today, due to a disastrous skate. I had a really long off-ice warm up in an effort to have my knees ready to bend once I got on the ice, and then found I maybe overdid it--my legs were so tired & sore! But on top of that I plain ol' freaked out & did not skate with any confidence at all. I barely got onto the edges (judges all remarked it was too shallow), and I totally stumbled over one of the choctaws. ONE pattern on the solo was actually good, but one out of six isn't going to get the job done.

I'm so discouraged with myself; I didn't used to be this much of a head case on tests. And I can't even tell until I'm actually on the ice, and it's like, "well, I guess I left my knees at home today." And I don't seem to be able to pull it together fast enough to make it work. I can skate this dance so well in practice.

I'm going to try some things--coach wants a true warmup off-ice every time I skate (I don't usually do that) so I'll get used to it. And for myself I think if I lose 10 pounds it might help. Therefore, since ice cream is off the list for awhile, I'm going to go console myself with.....rice cakes. :(

dbny
06-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Heat (I guess that's the bad one?)--failed my Kilian test today, due to a disastrous skate. I had a really long off-ice warm up in an effort to have my knees ready to bend once I got on the ice, and then found I maybe overdid it--my legs were so tired & sore! But on top of that I plain ol' freaked out & did not skate with any confidence at all. I barely got onto the edges (judges all remarked it was too shallow), and I totally stumbled over one of the choctaws. ONE pattern on the solo was actually good, but one out of six isn't going to get the job done.

I'm so discouraged with myself; I didn't used to be this much of a head case on tests. And I can't even tell until I'm actually on the ice, and it's like, "well, I guess I left my knees at home today." And I don't seem to be able to pull it together fast enough to make it work. I can skate this dance so well in practice.

I'm going to try some things--coach wants a true warmup off-ice every time I skate (I don't usually do that) so I'll get used to it. And for myself I think if I lose 10 pounds it might help. Therefore, since ice cream is off the list for awhile, I'm going to go console myself with.....rice cakes. :(

Aw, sorry you didn't make it this time. I think you have a good approach to training for the next try though. I've been consoling myself with iced de-caf coffee with a shot of no-cal chocolate syrup and a little milk. I think I might grind up the ice and turn it into a no-cal coolatta.

singerskates
06-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass. I guess knowing what to do in practice and doing it for a test is a whole different ball game.

I freaked out on my dance test too but thankfully at the prelim level I was graced by the fact that it isn't a requirement to have the pattern completely right, nor to have expression. I was so freaking out over the fact that I had to test in a smaller rink than in what I practised that I didn't breathe until the test was done (stone faced) and the first part was way too big with the second too small. I know that I'm going to have to practice being tested before testing again because I don't think I can get a way with what happened in my prelim dance test in the junior bronze dance tests.

What we both have to do is to have our coaches get someone to pretend to test us for about a month before test day, so that we can calm down during testing. I don't know why but I'm no longer nervous during competitions, so why am I a nervous wreck for testing? Hmmmm?

FlyAndCrash
06-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Ice: I just spent the week on vacation. It was super fun.

Heat: I got fat. My pants were super tight by the end of the week and now all my clothes fit differently. I also didn't step foot onto the ice. :(

icedancer2
06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
You could always order a tongue from SP Teri to replace them. Take them to a shoe repair place to have them removed and replaced

Wow - I didn't know you could do that! Thanks.

cbny - I will let you know - we might be there the week of the 13th. It's all very last-minute...

dbny
06-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow - I didn't know you could do that! Thanks.

cbny - I will let you know - we might be there the week of the 13th. It's all very last-minute...

That's how I do just about everything :roll:.

kander
06-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Burning Heat: I continue to struggle with the toe loops. If I can do any, it's usually the first couple and then I'm lost after that. I also struggled with the salchow. At one point I landed 9 in a row putting a hand down on the ice. The only one I landed was the crappiest one of the lot.

Cool Ice: Did a great axel! It totally made my day. My loops were really good. I got the speed up and the rotation was easy. I think (hope) I've finally figured it out. Everytime I think I'm on to something I usually can't follow it up. Even thought I bobbled my salchows, they were pretty good otherwise.

Mrs Redboots
06-15-2008, 06:55 AM
***Hugs*** The Kilian is a fiendish dance, and, I imagine, horrendously difficult to pass! You will get there in the end. Is there something else you could work on for awhile to take your mind off it - maybe some Moves tests or something you could do? - or are you stuck until you do pass it? Which you will, sooner or later.

phoenix
06-15-2008, 07:27 AM
I'm not stuck without it, I could test moves or 2 other dances. Jenlyon had the same idea, and I think you may both be right. I'm currently working on Paso for a competition in 2 weeks, so I may just keep working on that one to get it up to test-ready status. I've also put moves on the back burner for a long time & I should really get out there & give them a try as well. So I might try your suggestion & see if it helps.

Thanks for everyone's condolences! I'm feeling better about it now, & am also doing some research on sports psychology to see if I can pick up any good ideas to help me.

My other bad thing was my best friend, who does NOT understand skating, my passion for it, or anything about how the whole thing works, spent a good part of last night arguing that I should never test again, and just skate for fun, since "this isn't any fun for you any more." Which is totally untrue, and made me feel even worse. I know we've had some conversations here about friends/family who don't understand, and it is indeed very trying sometimes!

***Hugs*** The Kilian is a fiendish dance, and, I imagine, horrendously difficult to pass! You will get there in the end. Is there something else you could work on for awhile to take your mind off it - maybe some Moves tests or something you could do? - or are you stuck until you do pass it? Which you will, sooner or later.

SynchroSk8r114
06-15-2008, 09:23 AM

Very true. This dance is deceptively difficult. Upon first glance, you'd think it'd be a breeze because there's not that many turns (aside from the choctaw, really) and it can begin to feel like you're simply skating crossovers and strokes. But it's those two outside edges that often trip skaters up. If you fail to take them deep enough, it's usually over. That's what I mean by deceptively difficult.

One thing you can work on that the judges loved when I tested this dance a year or so ago was the peppy, upbeat presentation aspect of it. While I had a few comments about how I could have went deeper on the outside edges, I believe it was the bubbly, light presentation that saved me. The judges loved it and I got so many nice comments for that. Plus, it may help you with your nerves if you're thinking ...smile, head up, light, happy, smile... rather than oh, my god...this is a scary!

Good luck with this dance. I'm sure you'll get it next time around and be even more prepared! ;)

jazzpants
06-15-2008, 12:36 PM
(((phoenix))) Sorry to hear about your Killian dance test. :cry: Yes, good idea about taking another dance test in the mean time to knock those other obstacles off. Less things to take up the mind when you do finally get back to it and try again.

Burning Heat:
I did NOT have a lot of time to skate today. I was very busy trying to prepare for a visit for a friend who just had a baby boy. :x (And phoenix, I sympathize about the non-skating friend who means well. The "new mom" friend was pushing for me to give up skating and just concentrate on my job and "having the child that my husband so much wanted b/c he's so good with kids." (Ummm... did I miss a memo that my husband put out? Last I've checked, *I'M married to him* and he told me that we're BOTH not ready to be parents??? And he wouldn't DARE ask me to give up my skating!!! That's asking for a DEATH SENTENCE!!! :twisted: )

Also, after I skated, my lower back was giving me trouble... and I just had my chiro appt. this past Friday too! Not good! :cry: (Now sitting on a heated blanket wrapped around my waist. Awwwww!!! :mrgreen: )

Sit spin is majorly warped b/c of the lower leg position. MUST... TURN... FREE...FOOT... OUT... :x :evil: (Never mind trying to get back up on that spinning leg... :giveup: )

Practiced choreography for new program. Should be interesting how I'm gonna make it look as polished as my choreographer demonstrated it. :roll: :P

Cool Ice:
Did some really good jumps... got up to a lutz!!! Nice lift on the flip this afternoon and the same with the lutz, though not as good as the flip.

In between skating is pretty decent so far. :D