View Full Version : What is it like for you as a competitor?

FSWer
06-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Say,I don't think we've done a "what is it like for you as a competitors" Thread in a while. So since I know we must have at least some new skater competitors here. I thought I'd get an update. So if you are a competitive skater. Please post a little bit about what being a competitor is like for you.

Mel On Ice
06-09-2008, 09:16 AM
expensive

exciting

interesting

scary

exhilirating

adventurous

fun making new friends

sometimes tedious

never boring

Rusty Blades
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Incredibly tedious and frustrating (as a Group IV nearly-beginner)! Up by 4 a.m. daily, week after week, struggling to learns a few elements, only to have most of them evaporate a few weeks before competition; to have an element "down pat" and see it disappear for MONTHS! LONELY skating with teenage girls and coaches less than 1/2 my age and having NO social life because I am ready for bed when everybody else is going out for the evening. BUSY 'cause when I do have some time off, there are all the other things that need to be done to keep a household running. EXHAUSTING with five 18 hour days in a row every week (holding down a full time job), year round.

Am I any good? Nope. Am I going to quit? Nope. I am addicted! ;)

Mrs Redboots
06-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Well, I've just had a fantastic time at the Mountain Cup! Cold and tiring, and a total emotional roller-coaster - but oh, I wish it was still ahead!

celticprincess
06-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Competition season for me is absolutely exhilerating. Yes, about 2 or 3 days before it my stomach is feeling those little butterflies, however its absolutely worth it. Now I've never competed in 'freestyle' persay, because Im 22 and skating against a totally adorable five year old is not my idea of fun. However next yr I may just do adult comps. Im a showcase skater, so competiting for me is just like putting on a show and entertaining the crowd. Age isn't so much of a factor for me in showcase. Its alot of fun.

I love getting all dressed up with my hair all pretty and far too much makeup and feeling those butterflies and jello legs take over. Ahh, couldnt get any better. But it does, so your standing by the entrance to the ice about to go on and your coach is telling you to 'kick a*"...yes she does say that. So then you skate out to the center or wherever and strike your pose..let the show begin. Instead of falling on your jello legs, you concentrate on the music...almost as if it's controlling you. Theres no time to breath, there's no time to think. All you can do is submit to the music and skate however you are ment to. For those brief 2 minites you feel like a freakin star. Then the music stops and you hear the applause and feel a wave of adreneline..which is one of the most amazing feelings. For a brief moment you are enjoying the aftermath of the adrenline..when its suddenly replaced by tension again. You have forgotten about the marks and wait nervously for them to get posted....like an hour. Finally the ranks are posted and you are either overcome with joy, ehh okay with it, or very disappointed. Is all that worth it? Of course, I adore competiting:)